TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

First of all, this is an awesome addition to the park!

However, they need to set some facts straight in the video:

-This isn't the tallest and fastest looping coaster. It has the tallest vertical loop; that's all. Even Viper (in this same

park) is a taller looping coaster.

-This is not the "first ever top hat". We've seen a lot of top hats done before. Kingda Ka is one example. Xcelerator is another. There are also inverted top hats like those on Mr. Freeze. It is the first double-spined top hat; sharing the spine with the vertical loop (which is really cool!).

-YOLO is not cool.

Other than those things, I'm absolutely pumped about the ride!

I find this to be a disappointing announcement. this is a throwback to the Chip Trick Gimmicky coasters of the 70's and early 80's. They actually brake the coaster to a stop simply to have the reverse an forward launches. they aren't needed. and a top hat? that's called a hill.

Overall, I like the look of the new coaster. ...Though I could do without the backward launch to be perfectly honest. I know it's crazy, but I would prefer just the 2 forward launches. Like others have said, I may get my wish soon enough with that.

As for anticipated coasters for 2013, I would probably put this at #5.

Im not complaining (because any new coaster to ride excites me, regardless) BUT after watching the POV it does seems that SFMM rushed this and just built it just to add another coaster to their coaster count. It seems they could of put the LJ space to better use then what we get with Full Throttle, but whatever. I will still ride it. SFMM getting lazy???

- VIP Early Entry to Magic Mountain (Begins in 2013)

Would definitely like to see more details about this particular perk, ie how early and how often it will be available.

They've kind of been testing it on Sunday's over the summer. I'd guess you get in at 10:00am vs. 10:30.

I would imagine maybe weekends during the summer?

Knott's has actually been doing it every day over the summer for Camp Snoopy and either Ghostrider, Montezooma's or Silver Bullet.

I did the early entry a few weeks ago for Tatsu and it was great. Didn't ride Tatsu but got in before the GP and rode the 2nd train out on X2.

Edited by Sir Clinksalot

I would really like to offer everyone some Cheese to go along with all this Whine....

Seriously, I understand that people are a little annoyed that the ride didn't meet all their hopes and dreams, but it's still a large scale addition. If this had gone to any other park, people wouldn't be as disappointed....

Has anyone ever told you that your posts really are completely obnoxious? And most of them don't even make sense.

--Robb "Someone needed to say it..." Alvey

My post makes sense. People are upset because the ride didn't meet their extremely high expectations. That doesn't mean I'm obnoxious for pointing out that people should be at least a little happy that SFMM is getting a new ride. I didn't realize having a different opinion was so frowned upon. Why am I such a target for you? All I was saying was that people should look on the bright side a little more...

The cheese and whine comment was the obnoxious part...totally ruins whatever validity the rest of your post had.

Edited by Jew

- VIP Early Entry to Magic Mountain (Begins in 2013)

Would definitely like to see more details about this particular perk, ie how early and how often it will be available.

They've kind of been testing it on Sunday's over the summer. I'd guess you get in at 10:00am vs. 10:30.

Yep, I used my season pass from SFFT to get in at 10:00am last Sunday. I was able to get a couple rides in on Tatsu and also get a head start to X2 before the general public was let in.

Are the new Gold passes for next year available now?

I was thinking of heading up to the park tomorrow because I have yet to get a ride on Lex Luther and I thought I might kill two birds with one stone and get gold pass while there.

~Edit~

Just checked the website, they are available right now.

Anyone want to pool up to take advantage of the 4 or more free upgrade to gold?

Perhaps this has been said already (my eyes sort of glazed over after a dozen pages of comments), but it would have been more thrilling if instead of stopping the train in the tunnel, what if you went through the tunnel un-Lim-ed, rolled back on the top hat, rolled forward through the snake dive, and then launched up through the top hat? People get really freaked out about rollbacks, so it'd be fun. As intriguing as that would be, I also realize that it wouldn't be done: SFMM really wanted that 'most launches' thing, and it probably would take out a block in the ride, among other problems I'm not thinking of. But it could be a neat idea.

The only complaint I have is that the ride has so much speed coming off the top-hat, and then it just stops. Throwing in another airtime hill or a couple of curves could of improved this ride greatly. But obviously because of price and capacity issues, they didn't do it.

Ah well, at least another reason to finally drag me out to MM.

P.S. Robb, in your call with Six Flags did they happen to mention of the price of Full Throttle?

I've sort of let the announcement simmer in my head before I opened my mouth. The only thing I'm truly disappointed about is I feel like they just flat out forgot they have to make a second half of the ride. Top hat, drop, then it's over? Alright. I'm not saying it's going to be a bad ride by any means, but just a little underwhelmed. It would have been nice to see them use the terrain, but the last coaster they claimed was a terrain coaster was Tatsu, and you know how that looks...

I really agree with Sir Clinksalot that I am most excited about the Gold pass replacing the Xtreme pass this year. Great move on their part for finally including HH admission and those other perks. Second, I'm excited about whatever they're going to do with the surrounding area. I think they should torch the big fake tree. It's infested by bee hives and looks horrible. I'm surprised they're not doing anything with Golden Bear and Mooseburger though.

P.S. Robb, in your call with Six Flags did they happen to mention of the price of Full Throttle?

Any time the question of cost came up, for anything, they just kept saying they do not give our actual numbers for specific rides.

I've sort of let the announcement simmer in my head before I opened my mouth. The only thing I'm truly disappointed about is I feel like they just flat out forgot they have to make a second half of the ride. Top hat, drop, then it's over? Alright.

I think this rides ending is going to start the Leviathan brake run discussion all over again.

Cedar Fair is son done for!

What does that even mean?

He's clearly referring to the fact that the addition of Full Throttle with cement Magic Mountain's lead over Cedar Point as the ultimate coaster park. See, Cedar Point can only remain a successful park as long as it is able to keep its coaster count roughly equal with Magic Mountain. We coaster enthusiasts live by the principal "Quantity Over Quality." The war between Cedar Point and Magic Mountain is an INCREDIBLY important issue to us. Why do you think Magic Mountain keeps removing non-coaster rides and adding new coasters with short layouts? Because they are trying to cram in as many of those things into the park as they possibly can!

So yes, Cedar Fair is without a doubt "son done for." I couldn't put it any better myself.

Edited by smallish

oh my gosh people I was just on their FB page and was reading all the comments on the FT post and some guy named julian commented

"hey SFMM almost a year ago before drop of doom was even announced, i talked to a person in a white six flags shirt dress attire. i cant remember his name but he told me about drop of doom. either way he also mention 3 coasters.im assuming this one is one of them... leading me to believe that there are still 2 more. i asked him if he could tell me how they would look like and he said. Which ride would you have here, i said Kingda ka replica. he then smiled and nodded at me but didnt say yes or no... are you guys going ot have a kingda ka replieca in the left side of the entrance cause ive also noticed you guys are flattening the terrain?"

rumor or not I almost had a stroke when i read this.

I would really like to offer everyone some Cheese to go along with all this Whine....

Seriously, I understand that people are a little annoyed that the ride didn't meet all their hopes and dreams, but it's still a large scale addition. If this had gone to any other park, people wouldn't be as disappointed....

Has anyone ever told you that your posts really are completely obnoxious? And most of them don't even make sense.

--Robb "Someone needed to say it..." Alvey

My post makes sense. People are upset because the ride didn't meet their extremely high expectations. That doesn't mean I'm obnoxious for pointing out that people should be at least a little happy that SFMM is getting a new ride. I didn't realize having a different opinion was so frowned upon. Why am I such a target for you? All I was saying was that people should look on the bright side a little more...

The cheese and whine comment was the obnoxious part...totally ruins whatever validity the rest of your post had.

Okay, thank you for elaborating on the point. I've changed the post to reflect your civil comments regarding what you found obnoxious. That wasn't my intention. I would have gladly changed it earlier had it been pointed out.