TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Third train on the transfer or are they only buying two trains?

I don't think I could have made it any more clear.

The ride will have TWO TRAINS*

* According to the Six Flags Chairman, President and CEO & Chief Operating Officer

I understand what you said, but parks occasionally have spare trains that can be switched in when one has to be taken out for maintenance. You said that it was running two trains, not necessarily that that's all they would purchase, though I understand what you're saying. I just wanted to clarify, that's all. It's a year-round park, you would think they'd take initiative to keep up guest throughput year-round. But oh well.

^^No, I'm pretty sure they mean they're only buying two trains.

Thank you. Which, again, really screws over crowds in the 'off-season'. But hey, it's Magic Mountain.

Anyone know how quickly they load the Lex Luthor cars. They did a great job when I was there (minus the breakdowns). I wonder if they've kept that up?

They were doing a fantastic job when I was there last week. People got off, they opened the gates, got everyone seated and pulled down the bars, checked and sent us off.

Edited by coasterfreak101

Well, how long is the tunnel? They obviously only want launch track inside the tunnel, so the only way to get it to its top speed is to launch it backwards, and then use the train's forward momentum through the tunnel to launch it the rest of the way.

If I were to guess, I'd bet that it's a little more energy-efficient as well, but I'm probably wrong.

What's YOLO?

Thanks to this video... I just learned what that meant too. Kinda douchy saying if you ask me, kinda fits the people in so cal. I think they marketed that well for their clientele. :/

Fixed.

Which is why I hate this state.

Well, how long is the tunnel? They obviously only want launch track inside the tunnel, so the only way to get it to its top speed is to launch it backwards, and then use the train's forward momentum through the tunnel to launch it the rest of the way.

If I were to guess, I'd bet that it's a little more energy-efficient as well, but I'm probably wrong.

If that was the only reason for launching it backwards, couldn't they in theory use the momentum the train already had goin into the tunnel to launch it over the top hat? Of course, then it may have too much speed going into the second half of the ride.

While I think the backwards launch sounds like an idea made by an adrenaline-filled 9-year-old, this ride does sound pretty fun.The top hat looks like it'll give us good airtime, and it has a flying snake dive (which I didn't notice until I came onto here). Hopefully I'll be able to ride it next year!

Then still Stopping it is a bit of a let down. Like i said let it go to the Top-Hat and let it rollback so the launch will be strengthened by that. (Not that it usually makes it harder to take it over the element. Because if you would drop it from the top into the launch add the speed it uses less then halfway into the loop and drop it. ) Kinda dumb how it is now but sure looks fun to do.

Not too excited about this one. I mean it looks fun and all, but it seems way too short, and as others have mentioned, goes for gimmicky elements over substance. Tallest loop in the world, really how much of a difference does it make? And the backwards launch just seems pointless, it probably lowers capacity, and would be more fun if the train simply went into the second forward launch without losing momentum. But on the bright side, the tophat/camelback looks like it'll have some awesome airtime, which is apparently something SFMM needs. It'll be a good ride, but I'm just disappointed that the park went the low capacity/gimmicky route over something the park needs more. Obviously an Intamin airtime machine would have been great, but as Robb said, even a wingrider, while less exciting than this, would have made more sense. It's still something I'll definitely ride whenever I finally make it to SFMM, but it won't be what I'm most excited about. Just my two cents.

I cracked up at the whole YOLO thing, it was just so bizarre and douchey. But then again, I've heard someone scream "HASHTAG YOLO!!!" on a lifthill multiple times this year, so I guess they're trying to appeal to their audience.

Oh wow, there really is fog in the tunnel.

They should throw in some on-board audio while they're at it. I like features that only last one season.

I wonder if there will be fog in the tunnel long term. I'm still personally waiting for them to build a small lake (more of a pond) under the first drop of Goliath.

Seriously, I understand that people are a little annoyed that the ride didn't meet all their hopes and dreams, but it's still a large scale addition. If this had gone to any other park, people wouldn't be as disappointed....

For everyone who says something good about it, there's 5-6 people who trash it. It's Superman Ultimate Flight all over again.

Edited by SoCalCoasters

If that was the only reason for launching it backwards, couldn't they in theory use the momentum the train already had goin into the tunnel to launch it over the top hat? Of course, then it may have too much speed going into the second half of the ride.

The backwards then forwards launch in the tunnel may also create a new block that allows them to operate two trains at once maybe? In addition to possibly needing the momentum to complete the forward launch. Should make for a couple of good questions at WCB this year.

The name Full Throttle and the YOLO stuff make me feel like SixFlags is going back to it's extreme route which I don't like. But they already said they are going back to that root. Guess I expected more with Terminator, DC Area, Green Lantern, & that new kids coaster being examples of nicely themed & fun rides these past few years. Now it just feels like they are going back to those days when they just plopped Deja Vu & Scream in the park. Fun coasters but with no real substance or charm. But it could be the advertisement and the name making me think it's going to be a simple theme & could be the opposite.

I really wonder how the area around it will the themed as there is supposed to be a new 5-acre section with it.

Still can't wait to ride this and I'm sure it will be an awesome ride. The elements they put into this coaster look like they are going to be a blast!

I don't get all the hate for Full Throttle. It looks like a great ride, and is currently the ride I'm most looking forward to trying next year. Yes, it's not the greatest coaster on the planet and it isn't an airtime machine or giga coaster like enthusiasts wanted, but as long as the majority of visitors enjoy it the ride is a great investment for the park. The only issues I have with the ride are the brakes immediately after the top hat (it definitely seems like it has enough speed for another couple thousand feet) and the low capacity (I couldn't see the ride getting more than 600 people per hour). Either way, it looks like an excellent ride that I'm very much looking forward to riding next summer.

I don't know if this is just Magic Magic Mountain, but I'll definitely be getting the Gold Pass for next year... Way more benefits than the Xtreme pass including Hurricane Harbor admission (finally!)...

[attachment=0]Untitled 2.png[/attachment]

They need to redo their math! It states a Thrill Pass costs $64.99 and a Gold Pass costs $114.99 a difference of $50.

Below that it states...

Buy 4 or more Thrill Passes and get free upgrade to Gold, free Hurricane Harbor and free parking when you process your ID's by January 6. A $40 value! ($10 per pass)

It's actually a $200 value ($50 per pass)

They've also brought on the Disney way and brought a full year of monthly payments (I believe they let you split over 3 months last year) but they charge you a small fee each month instead of Disney who does it free.

I think it looks like it will be a fun ride and Full Throttle does give SFMM a full circuit launch coaster. Coming from Premier, a company that has shown that when given a chance, they can do interesting things, this is a good thing. Still, the advertising is way too filled with hyperbole for a pretty simple coaster, End to end, the adjectives used might be longer than Full Throttle.

On a side note, when I think of "Full Throttle", I don't really imagine stopping in the middle, then going backwards, then forwards again and I think this is part of what is hanging people up on the backwards launch. It goes counter to theme.

I would really like to offer everyone some Cheese to go along with all this Whine....

Seriously, I understand that people are a little annoyed that the ride didn't meet all their hopes and dreams, but it's still a large scale addition. If this had gone to any other park, people wouldn't be as disappointed....

Has anyone ever told you that your posts really are completely obnoxious? And most of them don't even make sense.

--Robb "Someone needed to say it..." Alvey

I like it, It may not be the best but it's still pretty good. The only real complaint i'll give is the color scheme. It could have been better then plain silver and black. I think its more of an eyesore then appealing. But I am anticipating how the flying snake dive would look like over the S:EFK entrance.

I'm mostly concerned about capacity. This is easily the biggest, most visible coaster the park has built since Tatsu, and besides that, X2. I remember the days of 6-7 hour lines for X, and the lines for Tatsu have been pretty awful lately as well.

I think it's great they've built something unique and different, I just hope I'm wrong when I say that I think this ride could be as big of a capacity nightmare as X was when it first opened.

--Robb

I would really like to offer everyone some Cheese to go along with all this Whine....

Has anyone ever told you that your posts really are completely obnoxious? And most of them don't even make sense.

--Robb "Someone needed to say it..." Alvey

I think that may be a metaphore he was saying. At least I thought it was.