TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^^I'd say about 650-700, if they really pump those trains out. But I don't have high hopes for that happening beyond media day.

Anyone know how quickly they load the Lex Luthor cars. They did a great job when I was there (minus the breakdowns). I wonder if they've kept that up?

BTW, I agree Robb. What is up with the sudden lack of capacity in that place?

The sad reality is this - As much as Full Throttle interests me a lot more than GateKeeper does - A high capacity, people eating B&M Wing Rider would have made a LOT more sense for a park like Magic Mountain.

After lower capacity rides like Green Lantern, Lex Luthor, and even S:EFK, it would have been nice to see them get something that has the potential to churn through more people.

What do you all think the capacity of this ride will end up being? Great America announced yesterday that their new GCI woodie with two trains seating 24 each will do 850 PPH. Is Full Throttle more like 600? Maybe 650?

I realize this is a shorter ride, but still...

Im guessing 650 or a little more, But it all depends on how WELL SFMM runs the ride IMO

The sad reality is this - As much as Full Throttle interests me a lot more than GateKeeper does - A high capacity, people eating B&M Wing Rider would have made a LOT more sense for a park like Magic Mountain.

After lower capacity rides like Green Lantern, Lex Luthor, and even S:EFK, it would have been nice to see them get something that has the potential to churn through more people.

What do you all think the capacity of this ride will end up being? Great America announced yesterday that their new GCI woodie with two trains seating 24 each will do 850 PPH. Is Full Throttle more like 600? Maybe 650?

This is a legit question, but at this point does capacity at Magic Mountain really matter? They average 2.8-3 Million visitors, Full Throttle wont change that. Basically this ride will add capacity to the park. With 18 coasters and how big the park is, the only time you will wait a couple of hours will be in the first months of the ride opening.

Look at all the "capacity talk" about Lex Luther, even when the park is packed the line is mostly just an hour. Same will happen with this ride.

People just wait for as long as they think it is worth the wait, if they see a line that says 2 hours and they dont think it is worth it, they just move on to the next ride

I'd say 600 on a good day.

This will most likely be like Green Lantern and Lex Luthor where I really won't bother riding it much after media day.

I agree with Robb, I'd much rather have a Wing Rider than this. It's going to be fun, I guess I was just hoping for "more".

Then again, with only 2 parks really getting a new coaster next year guess we should be happy.

I agree with Robb, I'd much rather have a Wing Rider than this.

^^Don't put words in Robb's mouth...he said he much prefers this Premier ride to a Wing Rider, but SFMM could have used a good people eater for once.

This looks loads better than the Wing Riders.

Edited by robbalvey

I agree with Robb, I'd much rather have a Wing Rider than this.

^^Don't put words in Robb's mouth...he said he much prefers this Premier ride to a Wing Rider, but SFMM could have used a good people eater for once.

This looks loads better than the Wing Riders.

Agreed. I actually think Full Throttle looks VERY interesting, and me being kind of a Premier Rides fanboy, I'm really looking forward to it.

I just think the park badly NEEDS a 1,700 PPH addition like GateKeeper.

Edited by robbalvey

Yeah, I'm glad you all agree with the 'largest' claim as well as the impossibility to having both on that inversion at the same time. So are we thinking two or three trains?

Three.

One on the track.

One in maintenance.

One for spare parts.

I suppose, in a way, three lower capacity rides sort of equal one higher capacity attraction. Just hypothetically (as I don't know the actual cost or RPH of their last three additions) if Lex Luthor, Green Lantern and Full Throttle combined cost the park around the same as a big people-eating B&M would have, and each have a capacity of somewhere in the 600/hr range, then these three attractions sort of even out with one big high-capacity addition. The benefit to the park, however, is that it gives them THREE big new attractions to advertise in three different years, rather than going a few years without a new draw.

Again, I don't know what these rides cost and what their hourly capacity is. Just a hypothesis.

Just from what I've seen from the promo video, the ride looks like a lot of fun. Looks very re-ridable and enjoyable to the general public (which I think will really love this ride) and as a coaster enthusiast I'm looking forward to having it in the park. No complaints from my part.

Edited by Crazy4Coasters!

Agreed. I honestly wouldn't mind the fact that they are only going to run 2 trains if they were going to dispatch them with a sense of urgency. However with SFMM's reputation, it will run efficiently for the media day and a few weeks after and that's it.

Does look like a unique coaster however which is great.

Put me in the excited category. A few reasons:

1. Finally gives us a modern launch (3 actually)

2. Dive loop looks pretty sweet as does the mega-loop

3. Lap bars! (seriously guys, this should be a big deal for us at mm)

4. Airtime

5. What appears to be a near vertical drop after tophat

6. Yes, its a bit shorter than we expected (our bad) and even tho some are complaining that the stop in the tunnel is unnecessary and "gimmicky", it adds time and length to the ride. Maverick does the same thing and you don't hear people complain about that. Besides we all know that backward launches are actually pretty cool.

Overall, (except for the colors) me like; this looks quite re-rideable, very dependable, has broad appeal, and will add fantastic visuals to the skyline. And yeah, with 18 coasters the park needs to worry less and less about capacity with each addition.

If I could ask for anything more, it would be one last airhill and a return overbank before the break run.

While it does look like it's lacking the terrain-hugging second half that many of us were pining for (a big-ass drop directly into the brakes?), what does make this seem interesting is that it's hard to gauge exactly how forceful it will be from the information given. Speed was pretty fantastic in its day, so any ghost of that ride would be welcome. But while Speed was so well-suited for its compact location, it does seem like even more could have been done to make this ride really stand out. With that said, if there was ever a withhold-real-judgment-until-riding announcement, it seems like this would be it as the ride experience itself could very well be far better than it initially appears.

I am curious, however, as to whether anyone has theorized as to why SFMM seems to lean more toward "ooh-aah" type gimmicks rather than the kind of coaster than regularly show up in enthusiast's top ten lists. Obviously it stems from the marketing angle as they clearly have a refined understanding of who their target audience is and how to seduce them with ostentatious displays of showmanship rather than actual ride-ability and design (YOLO). It was mentioned earlier in this thread that SFMM has become more of a coaster museum than anything else -- and I'd agree with that claim, nor do I think that's necessarily a bad thing (although such a museum doesn't hold much appeal to me personally). However, their (and much of California's) aversion to well-designed and award-winning thrill rides in favor of repeated gimmickry does speak to a certain superficiality in which the facade is often a front for something far more vacuous.

I doubt I'd visit the park just to ride this (whereas if they opened a Skyrush, G-Force, or an El Toro clone, I'd be first in line). What speaks to me most about the layout is the windy section between the first loop and the tunnel. If they'd stuck another minute or so of that kind of business on the end of the top hat, they'd negate what appears to be quite an anti-climactic ending.

Edited by Rotura Violenta

If I were to really complain about anything, it's the white paint scheme. I'm sure it will look nice at first, but why would they set themselves up for having something that looks like crap in a year or two? Surely even Six Flags has to realize that they aren't too great with keeping fresh coats of paint on their coasters.

I would rather have seen the train go through the tunnel without stopping, then not making the Top-hat roll back through the tunnel not making the diveloop going forward again got the added speed of the Launch making it till the end. That makes a lot more sense then stopping it. But they're going to stop it, so, so be it.

Since they are also having a "themed area," I'm guessing that they are going to put the slingshot there.

My only complaint about the ride is length, but it looks like they made the ride length smaller to save space for this new park area.

Also, it looks like the top hat will have some serious airtime if it's really as steep as it looks in the video, which is something the park desperately needs.

I'm really not sure what to think right now. There are things I like about it (lap bars and not otsr, using the tunnel, the launch) and other things I don't like as much (apparent low capacity, the backward launch seems like more of a gimmick then anything else.) I've always been a fan of Premier, so I'm going to save any kind of opinion until I ride it next year. At this point, the most I'll say is that I'm intrigued, but not 100% sold.