TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Our long regional airtime deficiency endures... WTF. MM continues its inversion infatuation. Hooray, two more to add to the coveted crown (cue sarcastic smirk).

Yes, I see the top hat. Nice. Just like Xcelerator down I-5 - but loopier. One signature element does not an El Toro, Skyrush, Phoenix, NTAG, or Apollo's Chariot make. Congratulations Sea World - with modest little Manta you have a firm grip on the west coast airtime crown.

I was hoping for a longer, more aggressive Sky Rocket, something closer to Maverick.

Premier coasters are solid. I'm confident FT will deliver a fun experience. It simply isn't the one I crave. I'll save my pennies for Outlaw Run and iRAT, the likely cream of the 2013 coaster crop.

Edited by PAL

I am not that impressed with Full Throttle. The ride is too short, and having it stop in the tunnel, launching backwards and forward again is not a smart move on the design aspect of the ride. The train should just automaticcally be accelerated when it flies through the tunnel and continue on it’s journey. Who would want it to stop suddenly in the middle of the ride like that, not me. The loop is the only thing interesting having the trains on top and inside, the rest of the ride is very short, and should be much longer through the terrain.

Third train on the transfer or are they only buying two trains?
Was just announced on the Six Flags corporate call that Full Throttle will run two trains with 18 riders each.

I don't think I could have made it any more clear.

The ride will have TWO TRAINS*

* According to the Six Flags Chairman, President and CEO & Chief Operating Officer

Edited by robbalvey

In their defense, when we as enthusiasts hear rumors of a park adding a new coaster, we imagine what we want the thing to look like (like me for instance, I imagined this coaster being a larger version of Maverick, crossed with Formula Rossa - with a few gimmicky elements a long the way). Then we're disappointed when it doesn't turn out the way we had imagined.

All-in-all, we're gonna have tons of fun on this coaster when it opens (unless you're just looking for things to not like!).

Edited by brock_boehm

BUT HOW MANY TRAINS WILL IT HAVE??

Just kidding

It's not everything I could have hoped and wished for, but it looks fun and unique. It seems like the park is getting a pretty good bang for their buck, and I'm sure the GP will like it a lot. I think the nearest hope for an airtime machine in SFMM's future would be a Rocky Mountain Reno on Colossus.

It's not exactly what I thought it'd be, and I hate that the top hat is the final element, but the backwards launch looks like a blast, and I think it looks cool with the top hat going over the look like that. I wouldn't mind having it at my home park!

^^ I was thinking the same thing. SFMM's best chance at airtime is Colossus, rumoured to be next up for the Rocky Mountain Treatment.

In the meantime, I quite like Full Throttle.

I know I'm being a geek, but I'd like to know the track length, cost of the ride and the trains in more detail.

Just showed my 14 year old son the video and his exact words were "I'd rather have Log Jammer".

The ride looks "ok" but I'm sad they aren't doing more with the area and all the space they cleared from removing log jammer. Doesn't look like it's using the terrain at all which is sad.

It does look like some parts may be missing from the video though, just have to wait and see I guess.

Just showed my 14 year old son the video and his exact words were "I'd rather have Log Jammer".

The ride looks "ok" but I'm sad they aren't doing more with the area and all the space they cleared from removing log jammer. Doesn't look like it's using the terrain at all which is sad.

It does look like some parts may be missing from the video though, just have to wait and see I guess.

I am most likely repeating myself (sorry if I am), but since its going to be a new themed area and the new ride is not really using the whole area where log jammer was, would SFMM used the terrain left over, for a future coaster/attraction? Hell is there enough space left over for one?.... Also I will go on a hunt for a fact sheet, should be released shortly right?

Edited by bostonlva

I think it looks pretty good, although I'm on the wagon about it ending abruptly after the top hat. Either way should be some good old fashion fun and at the end of the day isn't that what we look for in coasters in the first place. Has anyone heard the exact length on it yet?

^^^^ No look closely and you see it's nothing more then a launch, followed by two bends into the diveloop into launch 2, (go backwards) and finish with the Top-hat. So what you see is what you get. And by the way look at RCDB you see the ride equals the speed of Viper in the launches, X2 goes faster then Full throttle but can we really call it a looping coaster? I rather use 4D coaster instead. O well now I'm nitpicking.

The sad reality is this - As much as Full Throttle interests me a lot more than GateKeeper does - A high capacity, people eating B&M Wing Rider would have made a LOT more sense for a park like Magic Mountain.

After lower capacity rides like Green Lantern, Lex Luthor, and even S:EFK, it would have been nice to see them get something that has the potential to churn through more people.

What do you all think the capacity of this ride will end up being? Great America announced yesterday that their new GCI woodie with two trains seating 24 each will do 850 PPH. Is Full Throttle more like 600? Maybe 650?

I realize this is a shorter ride, but still...

Edited by robbalvey

I just saw the YOLO in the beginning of the video. Really Six Flags? Is Drake going to cut the ribbon now?

LOL That confused the heck out of me too!! I'm really excited about this coaster, the backwards launch will be fun... While this coaster may not be as XTREME or high profile as some projects in the past; the gp will love it and it seems that it will appeal to a more broad range of riders.