TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I'm going to come right out and say it ... if this new ride is just the gimmick of the full loop and the top-hate element using the same loop structure I'm going to be pretty pissed they removed Log Jammer for that.

Now if it's that gimmick along with a nice long ride then I may be ok with it. Enough with the Gimmicks, just give us a good coaster for a change.

I'm going to come right out and say it ... if this new ride is just the gimmick of the full loop and the top-hate element using the same loop structure I'm going to be pretty pissed they removed Log Jammer for that.

Now if it's that gimmick along with a nice long ride then I may be ok with it. Enough with the Gimmicks, just give us a good coaster for a change.

I hate gimmicks, and I feel like that's all that SFMM's been building lately. I hope whatever they're building is long, fun, not gimmicky, and actually has airtime.

You and me both. I just feel like this space has SO much potential for a long, terrain-using, airtime-filled coaster. If it's a one-trick-pony like Screamscape reported I will be disappointed.

Didn't they say since the beginning that it would use the full terrain (terrain coaster?) (full area) of log jammers spot? Unless we are getting two coasters in that spot?

Edit: Im guessing its going to be a long coaster with this at the end?

Edited by bostonlva

Sorry I'll start my complaining now lol I see nor hear nothing appealing about that Screamscrape rumor, so we went from wishing for a giga, to something like an airtime terrain maverick-ish coaster to being ok with a gimmick giant loop top hat thingie that uses the same structure ummm ok

That sketch that SoCalCoasters drew up is nice but come on if that was really all to this ride talk about a over hyped let down I'm sorry and I'm still trying to stay open minded until the announcment on the 30th but man it's hard to stay positive with these types of rumors coming out.

Sir Clinksalot wrote:

I 110% agree with this!!!

I still think it will use the whole (or most) of the area where Log Jammer used to be. It would be pointless to have a coaster there and then just a huge empty area. + like I said above, hasn't that been reported over and over, that the whole area would be used?

Edited by bostonlva

I'm remaining positive. I think they may have used the term one trick pony kinda harshly. I think there could still be more to this ride, just that this element will stand out as the defining aspect. People don't consider Xcelerator a crappy one trick pony do they (hope its longer than Xcelerator)?

I made a video of what I think this element could be. It's based on what they have done with Superman at SFDK, and while I made it pretty quickly and crapily it seems entirely possible. Will post when its done uploading.

It wouldn't surprise me if it is a one trick pony. Magic Mountain has simply been taking the easy way out lately and installing cheap rides. This dates back to Pocky. Pocky is a good ride, but it just feels like SFMM slapped it in the corner of the park just because it fit there. SFMM has plenty of varying terrain, meaning they could have built a really amazing wood coaster, yet they put it in a flat, rectangular lot. Next, came Green Lantern. It was a cheap ride that would turn out to be a capacity and painful nightmare. Next was LL:DOD. A park as large as SFMM could probably use a free standing tower, yet they made the decision to spend a quarter of the budget on a tower attached to another ride.

All of these decisions would be forgivable for a small to medium sized park, but Magic Mountain has the most coasters in the country. It seems like management tends to run the park like it is a medium sized park, while it clearly is not.

It wouldn't surprise me if it is a one trick pony. Magic Mountain has simply been taking the easy way out lately and installing cheap rides. This dates back to Pocky. Pocky is a good ride, but it just feels like SFMM slapped it in the corner of the park just because it fit there. SFMM has plenty of varying terrain, meaning they could have built a really amazing wood coaster, yet they put it in a flat, rectangular lot. Next, came Green Lantern. It was a cheap ride that would turn out to be a capacity and painful nightmare. Next was LL:DOD. A park as large as SFMM could probably use a free standing tower, yet they made the decision to spend a quarter of the budget on a tower attached to another ride.

All of these decisions would be forgivable for a small to medium sized park, but Magic Mountain has the most coasters in the country. It seems like management tends to run the park like it is a medium sized park, while it clearly is not.

Really? LL:DOD on the side of Superman is better then it having its own tower....... And anyway, A drop tower, is a DROP TOWER, It goes up and then drops you down.... It doesn't really matter where they put it....

Edited by bostonlva

if this new ride is just the gimmick of the full loop and the top-hate element using the same loop structure I'm going to be pretty pissed they removed Log Jammer for that.

Nice Doctor Who reference. I need to make one now.

My face if that happens to be the case:

If it turns out to be a lengthy ride that uses the terrain and has more than one cheap gimmick, I'll be happy.

[/Tennant image dump]

Edited by MayTheGForceBeWithYou

I would say that it is hard to call any park that has spent $20 million on new rides over the last three years cheap. That doesn't even count whatever they are going to pay for this new ride as well.

Does it mean they got the most bang for their buck? It's easy to live in a dream world and say that money would have been better spent on some 10,000ft long intamin terrain woodie airtime machine...but that's exactly why enthusiasts would make terrible park GM's. Six Flags still has a business to run. Terminator was a 10000% upgrade over Psyclone, Green Latern is unique to the U.S. (even if Six Flags runs it like sh*t), and LL is still the tallest drop ride. Hard to argue they are making bad business decisions with investment choices like those (especially given the cheaper costs and how they perfectly fit SFMM's business model).

I would say that it is hard to call any park that has spent $20 million on new rides over the last three years cheap. That doesn't even count whatever they are going to pay for this new ride as well.

Does it mean they got the most bang for their buck? It's easy to live in a dream world and say that money would have been better spent on some 10,000ft long intamin terrain woodie airtime machine...but that's exactly why enthusiasts would make terrible park GM's. Six Flags still has a business to run. Terminator was a 10000% upgrade over Psyclone, Green Latern is unique to the U.S. (even if Six Flags runs it like sh*t), and LL is still the tallest drop ride. Hard to argue they are making bad business decisions with investment choices like those (especially given the cheaper costs and how they perfectly fit SFMM's business model).

Exactly!

And Re: Green Lantern, It seems like they fixed whatever problem they had with the flipping (as some people on here who went recently and posted their trip report) (and including my last visit) are seeming to get more flips on the ride then they would have 1+ month ago

OK here is my Superman and I guess Zonga inspired answer to that rumor. Don't pay attention to the forces n stuff.

Realistically I think what SoCalCoaster drew is probably more likely, but where the top hat would cross over to the other side of the loop, so that it follows the spine of the loop track better.

I would much rather see infrequent major investments than frequent small ones.

Alhough, SFMM's audience doesn't seem like the type that would care if they built a new coaster over a parking lot or built a one trick pony. The target audience is not going to pick out hiw clean the park is or the small details. They want ride experiences.

The only chain that might actually benefit from enthusiasts running it is Disney, because they do almost everything right, and their target audience expects them to do everything right. SFMM's audience wants rides, so we get rides. Little else will make a return investment for this park.