TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

So with SCBB's announcement, does that mean Premier is now a lock for Magic Mountain?

There's Knott's, DLR, Rotary Playland, John's Incredible Pizza, Sea World, Legoland...the possibilities are endless

Not to mention all the McDonalds playlands

It's an all you can eat pizza place that is indoors with a couple rides like bumper cars n stuff. I think there is a couple of them.

It's like a Chuck e Cheese with rides. Roseville actually used to have something quite a lot like this a long time ago but without the food. It was called Playland or something like that.

I went to the park with a group of 6 a couple weeks ago, and we rode Colossus. They actually preferred Colossus over Apocalypse so much that we rode it twice. I'm not sure what some of you are qualifying as "rough" but even I found it to be much improved ride experience. I would agree also that the last few hops would be more fun if the train didn't slow down so much from the MCBR, but the first, second and third drops we A LOT of fun for all of us. Especially considering the thing is 40 years old.

Colossus is "better" than it has been in the past, but is by no means "good" or "great". They did some nice retracking so it doesn't kill you, but the ride is still painfully slow and the 2nd half needs some major track work.

Still, it's probably the 3rd best woodie in CA (Behind Apocalypse and Giant Dipper (SCBB)). Not like that's really saying much though.

In 2008 when I first rode Colossus I found it very underwhelming, but last Monday we rode it in the front and it was actually pretty good with surprise air on the first hill after the drop. I agree with your analysis... I wouldn't call it the best in California, but I definitely think it has a certain "charm."

It's just so wrong and ridiculous that they spent millions building a dual station, for higher capacity and faster loading, only to not use it because they are so damn cheap. Since when does guest satisfaction not justify adding staff to a ride to improve it's performance? Just.... totally..... asinine!

I don't go to SFMM very often, but I've never seen a long wait for Colossus. Is it really necessary they run both stations?

via screamscape

(8/28/12) According to the latest rumor, Full Throttle may appear at first to be somewhat of a one trick pony… but much like the Superman coaster Premier built at SFDK, there will be a little more to the overall experience. For example, you may recall that rumor about it offering the world’s largest vertical loop. Now imagine getting to experience it twice… once on the “inside” and once more “on the outside”

Confused yet? Then just try to imagine what the top half of the track on the inversion would look like if there two sets of rails sticking out from the spine instead of just one. One that would ride the inside of the loop… and the other that will ride it out on the top side, creating a top hat style element. The mind boggles… I just hope oddest of odd rumors holds out to be true..

That actually seems interesting, no?

Edited by bostonlva

Rawkin, I was talking about Tatsu.

Oops, my bad.

I can agree about Tatsu for sure. We rode Tatsu once on Monday right after opening but both days (Monday & Tuesday) Tatsu's line looked to be 1-2 hours, while every other coaster was walk-on or a short wait. I've never seen them use the dual-loading station... I had forgotten there even was one.

^^Whoa...That sounds trippy, I'm having a hard time picturing it. Makes me excited to see the concept art if this is true.

EDIT: Still trying to figure this out... is he saying it's going to be a dual-tracked steel coaster, or like it'll traverse both "paths" in the same circuit, like going through one, doing some other stuff, then coming back through the other?

That actually sounds really cool if there is a lot more to the ride than that. If that is indeed true I wonder if it will be back 2 back like one element, or 2 different parts of the ride just built together.

A top hat with a 180 deg twist directly into a loop would be nuts. In my head though, the transition into the loop would be too tight.

Edited by SLUSHIE

via screamscape

(8/28/12) According to the latest rumor, Full Throttle may appear at first to be somewhat of a one trick pony… but much like the Superman coaster Premier built at SFDK, there will be a little more to the overall experience. For example, you may recall that rumor about it offering the world’s largest vertical loop. Now imagine getting to experience it twice… once on the “inside” and once more “on the outside”

Confused yet? Then just try to imagine what the top half of the track on the inversion would look like if there two sets of rails sticking out from the spine instead of just one. One that would ride the inside of the loop… and the other that will ride it out on the top side, creating a top hat style element. The mind boggles… I just hope oddest of odd rumors holds out to be true..

Rawkin, I was talking about Tatsu.

^^Whoa...That sounds trippy, I'm having a hard time picturing it. Makes me excited to see the concept art if this is true.

EDIT: Still trying to figure this out... is he saying it's going to be a dual-tracked steel coaster, or like it'll traverse both "paths" in the same circuit, like going through one, doing some other stuff, then coming back through the other?

Yes I am also still a little confused by the description. Though I hope its true. Just thought I would post it here.

Hmmm... well ty for the rough drawing

Well I am just hoping that it will produce air time!!!

I'm by far not a expert in terminology on coasters but the word "Airtime" is tossed around in here a bunch and I just want to make sure you are on the same idea on what "airtime" is. I found the following on coaster terms site.

Airtime

When a coaster train crests a hill at high speeds, riders typically rise from their seats for a free-floating few seconds. Most coaster fanatics crave airtime and consider it to be exhilarating. There are two types of airtime: floater air, AKA, that "butterflies in your stomach" sensation, and the more violent ejector air, which catapults riders out of their seats (but doesn't actually eject them because of the safety restraints).