TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I'm not surprised they haven't started at all. They aren't going to start until after they announce. So very soon. We know that SFMM can build rides very quickly, it's just they always start very late.

Parks start construction all the time before they actually announce the ride. California's Great America is an example there.

It's a perfect example. The construction is moving along nicely with one turn almost completely done and no announcement yet, just some teasers which is more than MM seems to be doing.

They may announce months before construction begins, but parts typically show up before the announcement.

Sorry to say this, but if MM was getting a major coaster next year, parts would most likely have already been showing up (in the dirt lot near guest parking, across the employee road). If my memory serves me correctly, that's how it's been before every coaster announcement that I remember (going back to Batman). Except for the sling shot, I don't think we are going to be getting anything major next year.

My memory may be foggy, but I don't remember any visible parts for any of SFMM's coasters before September.

That said, as quiet as the park has been, you could be right.

I believe that parts for Goliath were at the park in July of 1999, but it has been a very long time so my memory could be off. Would make sense though cnosidering Goliath had an early February opening. I'm sure track for Riddler's was at the park before September. I recall it getting there very early and without any paint (what's the last time a coaster shipped without paint?).

I looked back for fun today at my old website (sfmmguide.com, not really much of a plug as it hasn't been on the web for the last 7 years) and see that I reported that track for Deja Vu and X both arrived in late October 2000, and track for X didn't arrive until several months later. I will also note that both those rides had some very strange (and delayed) openings. X didn't even begin it's initial testing until August of 2001.

Does this answer any questions about the 2012 attraction? Maybe only that the park isn't tied down like a true seasonal park and has the option of opening rides at different times of the year. That being said, I'm going to still very tentatively put my money on no new coaster until 2014. I wouldn't be at all surprised if I'm wrong, just my guess.

If only The Insider would come by and let us know what's really going on.

For all we know, Magic Mountain could want to keep this project incredibly close to their chest. There could be parts for their new attraction anywhere in the immediate vicinity of the park. Or, parts could still be sitting at whatever plant they're supposed to be made in, and Magic Mountain might not want them to be shipped until an official announcement is made.

^^^That would suck considering they just did that to Mr. Freeze! LAME!!! We could then definitely tell that SFStL is SFI's forgotten child

I honestly wouldn't mind if SFMM didn't add a coaster this year. That is if they took the time to clean up the park, maybe add some flats and retheme some areas....? Hey I can dream right???

I don't think you can infer anything from what has happened in the past. Announcements are probably driven by corporate and parts start showing up based on the construction time table.

Good point. Also, Green Lantern was a complete secret up until it was announced.

I honestly wouldn't mind if SFMM didn't add a coaster this year. That is if they took the time to clean up the park, maybe add some flats and retheme some areas....? Hey I can dream right???

All frequent visitors have had this far flung wisp of a dream for so many years.

I'm right there with you.

"...Big, Huge announcement....we're gonna go BIG!" ahhhhh, music to my ears...one more week, ladies and gents!

When she added the word "huge" I though of the rumored detail on Full Throttle how its supposes to be the Nation's/worlds largest coaster. I hope everything is all true.

Sounds to me like an other august 30th announcement. (although I know she said next week.) I hope it's Full Throttle, but that we know in a week. Surely it isn't the slingshot because building it there would be impossible right?

Edit: Can someone point out the exact location of the tunnel? I'm not that well known to the park.