TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Heck if you decide to go higher it would actually benefit the thrill to add a brake half way down that grabs you and puts you at a crawl and then releases you into free fall again. That way you get the drop feeling two times on the way down.

Giant Drop at Dreamworld does that. One side is freefall top to bottom, the other side stops/slows and then drops again.

Well I think extra height is supposed to add an extra bit of the fear factor, but I think at a certain point you become immune to that. To us, extra height just means a couple more seconds of floating free fall, but to the average not necessarily thrill seeking person its probably a much bigger deal.

But not I don't think anything really needs to be much higher than 400ft. Certainly not 600ft.

I was amazed when I rode Lex, because the drop was so long I actually did lose the falling sensation by the end. It seems the drop is almost too long if that makes any sense. Once I adjusted to the feeling of the free fall that awesome thrill level was completely gone. I was shocked that it happened that way. I really didn't expect it. I'm not going to hate on the ride at all for this, however, going any taller really would be unnecessary. If you are just aiming at bragging rights then go for it, but anything beyond Lex I'm thinking probably won't enhance the ride experience.

lol, I was trying to say that, but it is hard to put in words...

I swear the never ending crying whining and complaining in the SFMM thread leaves you with the feeling of wanting to yourself lol

"the drop of lex luther "It seems the drop is almost too long if that makes any sense. Once I adjusted to the feeling of the free fall that awesome thrill level was completely gone" WTF!!! I mean come on are you effing serious!!!

I was amazed when I rode Lex, because the drop was so long I actually did lose the falling sensation by the end. It seems the drop is almost too long if that makes any sense. Once I adjusted to the feeling of the free fall that awesome thrill level was completely gone. I was shocked that it happened that way. I really didn't expect it. I'm not going to hate on the ride at all for this, however, going any taller really would be unnecessary.

What you felt was the ride reaching its Terminal Velocity. Terminal Velocity is where the speed is constant due to the restraining force exerted by the fluid through which it is moving, in other wordsTerminal velocity is a state where the force of drag and the force of gravity acting on an object are equal" Your body's change in acceleration is changing as drastic as it did at the beginning of the drop even eventually you hit terminal velocity. I don't think that the sensation would kill the thrill. So I dont see where you conclude that going any taller is unnecessary. Drop towers are a combination of playing with the psych of ride riders, fear of heights, and falling. I say go higher.... In fact (my prediction) SFGAdv will be doing that exact thing ... 2014 just wait! So Enjoy your record while you have it... stop complaining.

Yeah, Viper and Riddlers suck compared to other rides at SFMM.

Huh, that's funny. I definitely wouldn't say they suck, but I would definitely say they are two of the more "intense" coasters at the park, meaning you're probably not going to want to ride them over and over very often. Viper is a forceful ride, sit in the back and the drop and first half is quite a ride. That roughness people complain about is just 20 year old track and car design by Arrow.

To me Riddlers' order of inversions and how HUGE they are make it a fun looping coaster with a few pops of air.

As for Lex, I agree about the long drop, but I like that it's so tall. I think my favorite part of the ride is the forces of the magnets slowing you down in your seat as you come to the bottom. Those G's and slowing down from 80+ MPH coming down in that direction is pretty amazing.

I wasnt complaining at all about Lex Luthor... It is my favorite thrill ride of all time! But i change my mind about drop towers being taller, because on the second and third time i went on it, I hardly got a drop feeling.... So i just watched as earth got closer and closer... And i think that is an amazing feeling. So I dont mind if they add an extra 200 ft or even higher in the future.

The people complaining about Viper roughness are funny to me. It's a 22 year old Arrow, and still the smoothest of that generation. SFMM has done an amazing job maintaining that ride while other parks are removing them. What else do you want?

Riddler always feels rougher if the trains neeed a rahab, which was easier to do when the park had 3 trains to work with.

I swear the never ending crying whining and complaining in the SFMM thread leaves you with the feeling of wanting to yourself lol

"the drop of lex luther "It seems the drop is almost too long if that makes any sense. Once I adjusted to the feeling of the free fall that awesome thrill level was completely gone" WTF!!! I mean come on are you effing serious!!!

Funny how people like using only part of my post so they can accuse me of complaining. I said in that post that I wasn't hating on the ride for anything. All I did was share my experience. Am I not allowed to do that? Did I experience the ride incorrectly? I'm sorry. I wasn't aware we couldn't talk about things like that here on TPR. I'll check in with you temperamental types before I allow myself to have opinions or experiences from now on. Thanks for straightening me out. Edited by Zingoman

Hey so back on topic before this degenerates into more arguing...

Anyone else find it odd they were so quick to level to Log Jammer site and yet nothing has been done in months?

No, because then they had to pay less for operations and less for the demolition crew. It doesn't cost anything for the site to sit empty like that.

Yeah, Viper and Riddlers suck compared to other rides at SFMM.

Huh, that's funny. I definitely wouldn't say they suck, but I would definitely say they are two of the more "intense" coasters at the park, meaning you're probably not going to want to ride them over and over very often. Viper is a forceful ride, sit in the back and the drop and first half is quite a ride. That roughness people complain about is just 20 year old track and car design by Arrow.

To me Riddlers' order of inversions and how HUGE they are make it a fun looping coaster with a few pops of air.

Okay your right, suck is a little harsh.... but I am more of a smooth kind of person unless it's like X2 where the awesomeness copes for the hurt.

Anyone else find it odd they were so quick to level to Log Jammer site and yet nothing has been done in months?

No, because then they had to pay less for operations and less for the demolition crew. It doesn't cost anything for the site to sit empty like that.

I personally think that they took down LJ so early is because of possible surveying that has to be done on the lot before any sort of construction begins.

If that's not the case, then yes, they could've run the ride all summer. I thought Yosemite Sam's Falls shouldn't have even counted as a water ride and I was glad to see it go. LJ was a loss, especially being an original ride, but it's not like there's NO water rides anymore. There are still three big water rides in the park still, which I think is a good number.

P.S. Tidal Wave sucks. I hope it goes soon (but replaced by a water ride!).

I think many assumed the early demo was a sign of the magnitude of whatever the 2013 project is, along with the rumoured July 4th announcement that never came. But here we are in mid-August with no additional work on the site. I know the park is ok with opening rides in July, I just find it slightly odd.

I'm not too surprised because the past couple projects they've done the construction sites have either had absolutely nothing happening or they have had floodlights rolled out because they were working 24/7 up to the ride opening date.

I wasn't too surprised once it was gone. I knew it wasn't for this year. And SFMM almost always starts construction really late. They aren't slow at all. They just wait until really late to begin visible construction. So we can tell the magnitude of this ride once they begin construction.