TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Why is everyone thinking this? For some reason I have a feeling that it will be Intamin. The park has used Intamin for the last 3 major projects, so why wouldn't they use them again?

2 of the 3 last projects was on a previously-built Intamin ride, so it had to be Intamin to renovate Superman and to build Lex Luthor. Plus, in the past six years, they used Intamin, GCI, & B&M for their new coasters. So, they don't use one manufacturer solely for their new coasters, like Cedar Point did from 2000 - 2007. Full Throttle could be Mack or Premier rather than Intamin.

Most of the people "in the know" seem to be pretty sure it's a Premier, so I think that's why it's winning the rumor contest. I think a lot of us are just hoping for Intamin, because potentially similar coasters like Maverick, iSpeed, and CHunt could help SFMM finally get some airtime. And of course, Mack would always be nice, they just don't have much history with SF (except for mice), and from the rumors it doesn't sound like one of theirs. But if it is Premier, and the layout rumors are true, I could imagine a mashup of something like Sky Rocket, with Mr. Freeze's speed and tophat, and S:UF's loop, making for an interesting ride.

The whole "it's a launched coaster, so it might be built by..." conversation reminds me of what Busch/SeaWorld did with their recent coasters. They built three similar multi-launched coasters at three parks, and all were by different manufacturers. Granted, I think there were good reasons for each manufacturer to build their particular rides (except maybe Verbolten - at first I really thought Intamin would've made more sense), but it goes to show, it can be hard to predict these things.

Since they'd mentioned at WCB that the new ride would have something to do with July 4th, then nothing happened, I started thinking about what the connection was supposed to be, if anything. It seems like a big stretch, but if it does turn out to be a Premier, maybe they were referring to Sky Rocket at Kennywood?

July 4 -> Fireworks -> Sky Rocket -> Premier Launched -> ? -> Kevin Bacon?

The Mack idea makes since, I just don't see it happening since SF hasn't really used them. Like mentioned, we all would love Intamin because of their awesome rep and the fact that they pretty much guarantee airtime. Nevertheless, SFMM obviously has a thing for inversions so it will probably be Premier!

As for the WCB thing, if they would have announced the sling shot it would have made since. But considering they never formally announced it, SFMM kind of screwed us over there, or the corporate said "oh actually just wait to announce it in August."

^Or they will announce it with the 2013 ride, it's still early yet so nobody "got screwed" there.

So you really want an Intamin with the "Intamin cable of death"?... lol

I know that's why I gave the other option, lol

Considering SFMM majorly lacks airtime, I would LOVE Intamin even with the "cable of death"!

Yes there's a strong possibility that the ride may in fact be a Premier but I am still holding out hope that it is an Intamin. It's been said that after S:TE SFMM had no desire to work with Intamin again, so I'm thinking that this is why SFMM gave Intamin 3 smaller projects to feel the waters on how would working with Intamin be, would it be another nightmare or would they handle their ish lol. It appears that Intamin handled theirs this time and the reward for it is the big 2013 project. Then again this could all just be my enthusiast brain over thinking it guess well see come the 30th

New for 2013, FULL THROTTLE an unique sling shot experience!

-Not expecting much else from the announcement. However, a ride of this make/model dosen't seems to take much time to erect. So MM may have something else in store for us

Just got back from the park.. And wow was it packed! And for some reason Superman p didn't open til 2:30 and when it did open, it was just one side. Goliath's line was to the entrance, as was just about everything else. They were parking people in the overflow dirt this afternoon. Busiest I've seen on a weekday this summer, by far. Strange.

Hmm, interesting. Probably just one of those randomly busy days where more people just happened to show up coincidentally.

Have you been going on Mondays? I was thinking about going the 6th, but besides the off season, I've never been on a Monday before. Similar crowd level to other weekdays? Worse? Better?

Usually Mondays and Fridays are the busiest days of the week at the park, but they aren't very noticeably busier. I was at Hurricane Harbor this past Monday and the parking lot was full, but the dirt lot was not in use. It seemed quite busy though. That's the only Monday I've been all summer, but it seemed similar to a Friday to me. Tuesday's seem to be the least crowded. It might be lighter next week because some schools are back in session or will be soon.

I should also mention that there was a mechanic walking the track at SEFK this morning where it passes over the midway. So I'm not sure what the problem was.

I might be there on Tuesday as well!

I forgot to mention earlier that Colossus now has a rehabbed red train on the track that runs AMAZING! I think I would say it was smoother than Scream, definitely smoother than Apocalypse. Not quite as much airtime, but it is still there and the ride itself seems amazing! You have to check it out sometime!

I might be there on Tuesday as well!

I forgot to mention earlier that Colossus now has a rehabbed red train on the track that runs AMAZING! I think I would say it was smoother than Scream, definitely smoother than Apocalypse. Not quite as much airtime, but it is still there and the ride itself seems amazing! You have to check it out sometime!

Thanks for the tip I will definitely try to catch a ride on that train next time I'm there.

^Just sit in the very back seat. Colossus will surprise you.

I should also mention that there was a mechanic walking the track at SEFK this morning where it passes over the midway. So I'm not sure what the problem was.

That is routine maintenance before Superman opens. There is a track walk to the top of the turns apex before electricians even get there. Perhaps there was another issue at another ride (probably X2), and the mechanic didn't get to track walk Superman until the other problems at other rides were fixed. Explains its 2pm opening.

Part of me is hoping Intamin for the new coaster, but part of me is hoping for Premier. Intamin is getting better with its technology, but after Cheetah Hunt, I am kind of hoping SFMM doesn't get a tame launch coaster. Rides by Premier including Mr. Freeze and Speed the ride, really make me feel like they could do a better job as far as ride experience. Plus I would love to have lapbars, but I imagine that won't happen.

Also, with the way they're working magnets these days, there's really no reason to have a cable launch unless you're working in tight space, or are doing something like Top Thrill or Kingda Ka. Computer systems are so much more advanced, and the magnets do the job with less maintenance.

^Just sit in the very back seat. Colossus will surprise you.

That is routine maintenance before Superman opens. There is a track walk to the top of the turns apex before electricians even get there. Perhaps there was another issue at another ride (probably X2), and the mechanic didn't get to track walk Superman until the other problems at other rides were fixed. Explains its 2pm opening.

Part of me is hoping Intamin for the new coaster, but part of me is hoping for Premier. Intamin is getting better with its technology, but after Cheetah Hunt, I am kind of hoping SFMM doesn't get a tame launch coaster. Rides by Premier including Mr. Freeze and Speed the ride, really make me feel like they could do a better job as far as ride experience. Plus I would love to have lapbars, but I imagine that won't happen.

Also, with the way they're working magnets these days, there's really no reason to have a cable launch unless you're working in tight space, or are doing something like Top Thrill or Kingda Ka. Computer systems are so much more advanced, and the magnets do the job with less maintenance.

True but magnetic launch systems cost more to operate than hydraulic launches, or so I've read on here before, especially on the scale of a TTD or KK ride. But I would like to see someone develop an economical - to - operate magnetic launch system that would cost about as much per launch on a very large scale ride as the hydraulic launch does. When that happens, I think the hydraulic launch will be put aside in favor of magnetic, and it would be safer too. These LIM and LSM systems and the magnetic braking still amazes me the way they can just hurl a train from a dead stop and stop it quickly and smoothly, I remember when none of this stuff existed, it's very interesting.

True but magnetic launch systems cost more to operate than hydraulic launches, or so I've read on here before, especially on the scale of a TTD or KK ride. But I would like to see someone develop an economical - to - operate magnetic launch system that would cost about as much per launch on a very large scale ride as the hydraulic launch does. When that happens, I think the hydraulic launch will be put aside in favor of magnetic, and it would be safer too. These LIM and LSM systems and the magnetic braking still amazes me the way they can just hurl a train from a dead stop and stop it quickly and smoothly, I remember when none of this stuff existed, it's very interesting.

The magnetic launches has come a very far way now since the late 90's, and they don't require much more energy now than your average big amusement ride. The only problem left is that they have a limit to how fast you can launch them, a 200 foot hill is about maximum for now.

We will not see another Intamin hydraulic one open, unless it is for a record breaker.

There really is no need for them anymore, and they require a lot of maintenance, plus that they are unreliable.

Also we have seen that if the cable snaps, it snaps big time.

The only one I see kepp producing hydralic launches is S&S air powered ones.

^^I'd say it probably evens out. Hydraulic launches have an insane amount of mechanical issues/failures. They are costly to maintain.

However, per launch probably cheaper to run. LSM/LIM launches have 90% electrical problems as they have no moving parts. They cost more to run per launch but are a lot more reliable.

^Are you an inside salesman for Intamin? Intamin will sell anything to anyone with the $$$.

Air powered Hydraulic launch? Sounds interesting......

The air-powered launches aren't hydraulic, though. They use compressed air to send the catch car out, not hydraulic fluid and massive spinning wheels.

Intamin did just open a hydraulic launch in Italy two years ago, so I wouldn't necessarily say that they're done for. Magnets are certainly more reliable, but they can't achieve the same effect if a park wants a more powerful launch.

The air-powered launches aren't hydraulic, though. They use compressed air to send the catch car out, not hydraulic fluid and massive spinning wheels.

This I know. I was just giving him a hard time. To be fair though, wheels are still used as the Pneumatic launches still use steel cables. Albeit not quite as evil as the Intamin cables.

^I'm trying to find the video, but if I recall correctly the S&S pneumatic launches didn't use cables. I thought it had something to do with a long cylinder that ran under the launch section and the catch car. And watching POVs I don't hear the "whirr" of the cable as you hear on hydrolic launches and flywheel and clutch launches.

I'm am no where near positive on this though, just my 2 cents.

I'm pretty sure it uses a cable as do the space shots S&S makes. When they release the air into the cylinders its kind of like a piston in a pop-string gun.

You don't need to wind up the excess cable because the cylinder runs the length of the launch.

I wish I could make a diagram but I'm assuming thats how it works.

Edit: I found a diagram of how it works for the towers. IDK if this is accurate.