TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Guys, ghetto or not... who gives a f***? Isn;t it about the thrill the ride delivers in the end? Upcharges are usually extremely fun to me, I just don't wanna spend the extra money every visit.

Yes exactly. I might ride it once or twice but unless its the best thing ever I wouldn't pay to ride it anymore.

Its been over a month and SFMM still has comments on their FB page disabled. I think they are the only SF park I have seen to disable posting of comments. Wonder why they won't turn it back on.

Because that's how it should be - at least in my opinion.

I'm so tired of people thinking that FB is their soap box to bash a business. For instance, someone has one bad experience at a restaurant, and they feel entitled to share it with the world on the company's FB page.

As someone pointed out, there really wasn't anything constructive posted anyway (most of it at least).

And in regards to someone who said that people complain just to complain... um, yeah, I really think that it's cheap that they're installing a portable ride - some might agree with that, others might disagree. It's my opinion. And this is the internet.

Is it confirmed that it's actually portable?

Does this company have any other installations of this at parks that are permanent?

Yes. Those supports match exactly with the portable model. The park model uses a different support structure.

Here's the thing...I get WHY Six Flags would do it. It's cheap. It's easy. It's money. Fine. But don't we expect more from the park? We complain about tacky train wraps, things looking like crap, poor customer service, etc., etc. Adding a carnival ride that can literally be found at the LA, SD, and OC fairs (for like $40 a ride...hope SFMM doesn't price it that high) falls right in line with all the tacky/cheap/easy way out things SFMM does that this thread is filled with complaints about. It's just more proof that the park is headed back to the "old" SFMM.

Is it confirmed that it's actually portable?

Does this company have any other installations of this at parks that are permanent?

Yes. Those supports match exactly with the portable model. The park model uses a different support structure.

Here's the thing...I get WHY Six Flags would do it. It's cheap. It's easy. It's money. Fine. But don't we expect more from the park? We complain about tacky train wraps, things looking like crap, poor customer service, etc., etc. Adding a carnival ride that can literally be found at the LA, SD, and OC fairs (for like $40 a ride...hope SFMM doesn't price it that high) falls right in line with all the tacky/cheap/easy way out things SFMM does that this thread is filled with complaints about. It's just more proof that the park is headed back to the "old" SFMM.

Sorry Jew, I have to disagree. Enthusiasts are the complainers...nothing will never satisfy them. Expect more??? The park is home to 17 world class roller coasters and ANOTHER world class record breaking coaster is coming in 2013! They've just opened a highly successful world class record breaking drop ride for 2012 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3euynos0hW8 and imo, the park is looking great! This new SlingShot ride replaces the defunct ThrillShot, no big deal...no grand opening. Other parks (GP) with far less world class roller coasters would look at this thread SMH.......Complaining,really?

^I personally wouldn't consider any of the rides to be "world class," (none of the rides come close to cracking my top 10), but I agree that the coaster collection looks very good on paper.

But that's exactly why a portable slingshot feels out of place. It's a cheap carnival ride in a park known for its "world class" rides.

At least Thrill Shot fit with what SFMM is known for: pushing the envelope. A prototype ride system that I thought was terrifying in its original incarnation with the harness restraints held in by 3 pins.

You can find a lot of popular flat rides at carnivals too, I really don't get the point of complaining about this one. It's an up charge for extra cash, who cares how much it costs, especially given the large investment coming next year, just one year after opening the big drop ride.

The real question is whether the GP will be interested in trying this one. Thrill Shot seemed to have a pretty low ridership as up charges go.

^But when placed in major theme parks, they are the park models. Again, I understand the business behind it. I just think it is tacky. Which seems to be par for the course @ SFMM anyways...

Guys, ghetto or not... who gives a f***? Isn;t it about the thrill the ride delivers in the end? Upcharges are usually extremely fun to me, I just don't wanna spend the extra money every visit.

+1 Now lets move on and look out for the announcement of the 2013 coaster!

I agree even though with the announcement of the new 2013 coaster will just bring more complaining like the loop is only 200 feet tall they should have went for 205, it's only 6000+ feet long they could of added an extra foot and it would of for sure been a #1 coaster, OMFG it only has 5 airtime hills I was hoping for like 30

I agree even though with the announcement of the new 2013 coaster will just bring more complaining like the loop is only 200 feet tall they should have went for 205, it's only 6000+ feet long they could of added an extra foot and it would of for sure been a #1 coaster, OMFG it only has 5 airtime hills I was hoping for like 30

No, 31 airtime hills!

^ Unfortunately that's not just a SFMM thing. That's an all of California thing. We get so few truly great rides, that we tend to over praise anything decent.

Having said that, I really like SFMM's lineup of coasters. While none of them crack my top 15 either, they also don't really have a bad one in the bunch either.

The reason everything in CA is hyped like a top ten coaster is because the state doesn't really have any top ten coasters. Cali has plenty of quantity, but not much quality. Any coaster will be treated as a top ten, because there are no real top 10 coasters to compare them to.

Some of the most least-expensive, most portable rides can be made to look very nice.

Of course, it's up to the park if they want to make an installation look good or not. Six Flags doesn't always have the "budget" for making stuff look pretty. Look at Scream.

There is a natural *charm* that comes with carnivals; at least some of the ones I grew up at. Some folks associate carnivals with dirty stuff, trashy folks (whatever your definition may be), etc.. and some associate carnivals with *FUN* good times, wild rides and crazy lights. Or both.

You're judgement of a "portable/carnival" ride has more to do with the association in your brain and how you judge things more than anything (what's it called technically? Reference/conditioning, I dunno...). Not whether a ride is *easily* portable or not.

The whole "it looks like a carnival ride" bashing is lame - to me at least. Take the Wildcat at Cedar Point. As of last summer, it was still one of the most pure and fun roller coasters in the park (for me). I will miss it. I think it looked great, even with it's portable exit ramp. It had a charm all it's own, and was maintained impeccably. The rattling of the entrance/exit ramps, and the rattling of the whole structure was a part of that quirky charm.

I guess we all have styles that we like don't like. I have a thing against *HIGH* coaster stations. They always seemed strangely arrogant and unneeded to me. I much prefer ground level stations - like some of the coasters at Busch Gardens Williamsburgh. It's great for people to wait for their friends/family at the exit, and easier on disabled folks too. Just preference I guess. Doesn't mean I won't enjoy a coaster with a high station, just a personal "coaster geek" quirk.

On a related note, this Skyscraper upcharge/portable swing thing at Cedar Point is one of the best rides I've ever been on. I dunno if they kept us on extra long or what, but had a couple great rides on it. I'm surprised more parks don't have them:

I have a question about the Flash Pass at SFHH. When you have the Flash Pass, on the intertube rides, do you get to skip the line to get a tube and the line to get into the tower itself or do you just skip the line to get on the tower?

Some of the most least-expensive, most portable rides can be made to look very nice.

Of course, it's up to the park if they want to make an installation look good or not. Six Flags doesn't always have the "budget" for making stuff look pretty. Look at Scream.

There is a natural *charm* that comes with carnivals; at least some of the ones I grew up at. Some folks associate carnivals with dirty stuff, trashy folks (whatever your definition may be), etc.. and some associate carnivals with *FUN* good times, wild rides and crazy lights. Or both.

You're judgement of a "portable/carnival" ride has more to do with the association in your brain and how you judge things more than anything (what's it called technically? Reference/conditioning, I dunno...). Not whether a ride is *easily* portable or not.

The whole "it looks like a carnival ride" bashing is lame - to me at least. Take the Wildcat at Cedar Point. As of last summer, it was still one of the most pure and fun roller coasters in the park (for me). I will miss it. I think it looked great, even with it's portable exit ramp. It had a charm all it's own, and was maintained impeccably. The rattling of the entrance/exit ramps, and the rattling of the whole structure was a part of that quirky charm.

I guess we all have styles that we like don't like. I have a thing against *HIGH* coaster stations. They always seemed strangely arrogant and unneeded to me. I much prefer ground level stations - like some of the coasters at Busch Gardens Williamsburgh. It's great for people to wait for their friends/family at the exit, and easier on disabled folks too. Just preference I guess. Doesn't mean I won't enjoy a coaster with a high station, just a personal "coaster geek" quirk.

On a related note, this Skyscraper upcharge/portable swing thing at Cedar Point is one of the best rides I've ever been on. I dunno if they kept us on extra long or what, but had a couple great rides on it. I'm surprised more parks don't have them:

I agree with this.

Btw, I have my own geek thing that annoys me too. I hate glorified family rides with elaborate queues, and then right next to them, big expensive rides with no theme. The best example would be Jaguar and Silver Bullet at Knotts.

It's not a huge deal, just my personal pet peeve.

I have a question about the Flash Pass at SFHH. When you have the Flash Pass, on the intertube rides, do you get to skip the line to get a tube and the line to get into the tower itself or do you just skip the line to get on the tower?
I just used the system and you skip both the line for the tube and the slide itself (not including Tornado). The thing that sucks though is that Hurricane Harbor doesn't have enough slides for the Flash Pass system to work well. Because of the low price of the pass itself and the low amount of slides, the reservation times ended up being around 2 hours on a busy day. Don't waste your money on the Regular Pass, just get the Platinum Pass. It's well worth it.

I just used the system and you skip both the line for the tube and the slide itself (not including Tornado). The thing that sucks though is that Hurricane Harbor doesn't have enough slides for the Flash Pass system to work well. Because of the low price of the pass itself and the low amount of slides, the reservation times ended up being around 2 hours on a busy day. Don't waste your money on the Regular Pass, just get the Platinum Pass. It's well worth it.

Well I'm thinking about using it tomorrow. How do you get a tube if you skip the line for the tube? And it's $10 for Regular and $15 for Gold, right?

Its' not a question of if they had the budget or not but it's more of a question of if THEY WANT to theme it well if at all.

Adding a carnival ride that can literally be found at the LA, SD, and OC fairs (for like $40 a ride...hope SFMM doesn't price it that high)

$40 a ride?!? People are actually paying this to ride at a fair?!? The mind boggles.

And I thought SFMM management had pretty much confirmed they were turning the park back in to the "EXTREME" park. I'd expect the quality of the place to slip back to its previous levels if this is the path they're taking.

dt

Well I'm thinking about using it tomorrow. How do you get a tube if you skip the line for the tube? And it's $10 for Regular and $15 for Gold, right?

They usually have you scan your wristband at the tube pick-up. And yes, 10 bucks for the Reg. and 15 for the Gold.

Adding a carnival ride that can literally be found at the LA, SD, and OC fairs (for like $40 a ride...hope SFMM doesn't price it that high)

$40 a ride?!? People are actually paying this to ride at a fair?!? The mind boggles.

And I thought SFMM management had pretty much confirmed they were turning the park back in to the "EXTREME" park. I'd expect the quality of the place to slip back to its previous levels if this is the path they're taking.

dt

It aready has. On my last visit to the park I saw:

Piss poor guest service

One train operations on the most popular rides

Rides opening late.

Closed rides.

Overflowing trash cans.

Magic Mountain has returned to being the EXTREMELY bad park.