TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Well looking at what SFDK opened this year I would expect something along the same lines just much larger

I just don't understand why I keep seeing this idea in this thread? While most of the rumors have been hard to believe, haven't we heard from MULTIPLE sources that the 2013 coaster in LJ's spot will be the longest track in the us/world along with the tallest vertical loop? I don't get how Superman: ultimate flight is even remotely comparable to anything that is likely in LJ's spot. I'm not bashing just really confused.

Well looking at what SFDK opened this year I would expect something along the same lines just much larger

I just don't understand why I keep seeing this idea in this thread? While most of the rumors have been hard to believe, haven't we heard from MULTIPLE sources that the 2013 coaster in LJ's spot will be the longest track in the us/world along with the tallest vertical loop? I don't get how Superman: ultimate flight is even remotely comparable to anything that is likely in LJ's spot. I'm not bashing just really confused.

If its true it would be a much bigger, much longer version of it.

Like I said maybe the SUF at SFDK was a prototype for something much much larger ...

Very well could be, and that record breaking loop could be similar as well. I just hope that whatever it is, finally gives SFMM that world class launcher that the park really lacks.

If its true it would be a much bigger, much longer version of it.

If it will be a Premier launcher going on Log Jammer's location, it would probably be more similar to Sky Rocket than Superman since it won't be a compact coaster and be more spread out.

It's weird - it looks brand-new! If Magic Mountain would go out of their way to purchase a brand-new Sling Shot, they're probably keeping it for the long-term, yeah? Since it's the portable model, they can move it around the park if need be.

If it's not brand-new, it's certainly not "old", because it uses the open-seat design as opposed to the old hamster cage thing.

I don't think it's 'ghetto' at all. There's a case to be made about portable rides in permanent theme parks. You can set them up in a location and move them around the park if need be. They generally take up less space than their permanent counterparts. I'd also bet that they're a bit less expensive as well. Plus, when the time comes to eventually re-sell the ride, more parks would be willing to purchase it due to its easy set-up and operation, and there wouldn't be any extra costs associated with ripping footers out of the ground when the ride gets deconstructed.

Besides, it doesn't look like Six Flags Magic Mountain is getting the trailer-mounted one. It looks like they're getting this "water ballast" setup, which has the appearance of a permanent installation without being on a concrete foundation.

Transportable ride =/= ghetto.

EDIT: Not entirely true, I think those Scat spinning rides are supremely ghetto...

Edited by A.J.

^Because it's not a park model. It's literally a ride you can find at all the county fairs in the region. Kind of stands out in a park full of multi-million dollar roller coasters.

Seems to be a very similar "experience" that you would've have from Thrill Shot. Which didn't operate for a few years before being demolished(assuming it had numerous defects). Now MM is getting a modern sling shot ride, and because it's portable it's considered "ghetto".

Where is the logic? -_-