TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Wow. And they were actually supposed to close at 9PM yesterday. Wow. Now I know why I go to the park on weekdays only during the Summer. After going on only weekdays this summer, I actually thought that this summer was much lighter in terms of crowds than last Summer. For example, I haven't had to wait more than 15 minutes for Goliath this summer, or more than 40 for X2.

Was trying to figure out why the park would have been so busy yesterday, think I just figured it out.

In looking at the coupon book:

"Season Pass Holder Free Friend on Select Sundays - Valid Only: 1/29, 2/26, 3/25, 4/8, 7/22, 9/23, 11/25, 12/16"

That July date seems like an odd date when you look at the other dates on the list. A date that I'm sure won't be there next year.

So yesterday I was at the park thinking that since it was a Sunday, there would be less of a crowd than on a Saturday. Boy was I wrong. It was as a bad as a summer Saturday. But that didn't stop me as I really wanted to ride Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom, and a few other rides. So I will tell you guys how my day went.

When we first pulled up to the parking boothes at about 11:30, we knew that it was going to be packed, because the line started right after the new stop light for the new office building. We finally got through the parking boothes after about 10 minutes. We then proceeded to park right in front of Scream. After entering the park we walked over to Lex Luthor for my first ride. We waited in the main line for about an hour after finally getting on the ride. Lex Luthor is a great ride and the ride ops were really trying to get everyone on as fast as they could. After that, I then got in line for the single rider line. I highly suggest this line over the main line, since this one goes by fairly quickly. I then walked over to Tidal Wave, since it was getting very hot, and what a mistake that was. I walked up to the spot were they start splitting the line in to what row you would get. It took a whole HOUR from that point, and they were running two boats! The ride ops were absolutely terrible, it took them about three minutes to load ONE boat! I finally got on the ride and realized that is defiantly not worth it. I then went and got something to eat. After eating I walked to Riddler's and got two rides via the single rider line. The rest of my family walked over to Collosus, where they reported that it was a 45 minute wait at about 2:00. So I said screw that and went back over to Lex Luthor where I got four more rides, while my family was riding Collosus.

We meet back up and decided to go and ride Goliath, which had about an hour wait. And this is also where a lot of the line jumpers were at. We were at the part right after the entrance when I saw at least 15 people cutting other people. I then walked up about another 20 feet, where I saw two of the people who were line cutting talking to two security guards. It sounded like the two 16 year boys were trying to catch back up with their group after getting out of line to go get a drink. The security guards were saying that was against park rules and that they would have to go to the back of the line. The boys didn't like that as they started to argue with them, and they ended up getting kicked out of the line all together and weren't allowed back in line. There was also a women who was not even letting the people that were line cutting go by her. And she called the security guards over, and the other line cutters also ended up getting kicked out of line. This was really entertaining, and the line went by so much faster than I thought it was, maybe because they were running three trains. We got up to the station and got on the ride, we entered the final brake run, where we saw a train stuck on the lift hill. A ride op in an orange vest came up and said that they were experiencing some technical difficulties. After about ten minutes, they got he ride up and running again.

We broke off again, and I went to go ride Revolution and Viper using the single rider line. Revolution's one was ok, but when I got to Viper, I was told to run after the crew member opened the exit gate, and find an open seat. I thought this was just plan stupid, as you would be running to find an open seat. It took me at least ten cycles to finally get a seat. And the worst part was that ever single cycle I missed all had at least three or four seats open. Just your average every day Six Flags employees for you.

I then headed over to go and ride Apocalypse but decided against it since there was an hour and a half wait. I walked up to the Sky Tower, where I met one of the coolest ride ops ever. I don't know how true his words are, but he said he has a TPR account (never got to ask his account name though). He also told me some info on the ride pieces behind Apocalypse, where there was the colorful supports, black supports, and a gondola looking thing for a slingshot. I asked him if they were for a slingshot style ride, and he said that they weren't. I then asked him if they were for a new roller coaster, and he said that he shouldn't say anymore. But he said to expect the unexpected. So, if you are reading this (I believe your name was Andrew?), I won't tell anymore if you don't want me to. But again, I don't know how true this info is, but I will go and still think that those ride pieces are for a slingshot while also putting in the possibility for something unexpected. Who knows, beside SFMM, that this could end up being an Intamin wooden coaster like El Toro. Thats unexpected right?

After that we went and rode Ninja, and went back down the hill to ride Lex Luthor two more times. I felt that I got to ride a lot of rides with the amount of people there. I didn't ride X2 or Tatsu since X2 is one of my least favorite rides there and its hard for me to ride Tatsu. All in all, it was a great day with eight rides on Lex Luthor, two rides on Riddler's, and one ride on Goliath, Ninja, Revolution, and Viper. Oh, it seemed that one of Viper's trains had new wheels and new restraints!

If you have any questions, just ask!

^ You get more wet on Roaring Rapids. Other than that they don't compare.

Hahaha, yeaaaah. I will say you do get soaked, but Roaring Rapids is probably one of the lamest rapids rides in Southern California, you basically go in a circle and that's it. Knott's, DCA and Sea World all have better ones.

An hour for Scream has been the most hilarious thing I've heard all day!!

I haven't had to wait more than two trains for it all summer...

How bout this: Currently I'm seeing reports that Riddler has a 2+ hr line, X2 is a 5 minute wait, and Tatsu is a walkon. Gotta love Mondays, but who knows why Riddler has such a long que. Could just be a bad report.

^ Not "could be" ... is.

No way Riddlers is 2 hours and X2 and Tatsu are walk on's.

You're probably right, Riddler's isnt the only long line though. X2 and Tatsu are the only short ones, its possible that they just opened..but it's more likely (especially with a smaller number of people reporting) that the reports are wrong. Anything is better than yesterday though, that's for sure.

Maybe I was in this so-called new train on Viper. I didn't notice one train looking any newer than the other, but like I said, Viper was a LOT more fun and pleasant than I remember it! It was actually pretty great!

Viper is awesome!!!!! Doesn't hurt a bit and it hasn't hurt a bit since last year. I usually ride it in the afternoon so I can just stay on. My record is 4 times in a row without getting off. It's good enough that if there isn't a line, I will stay on. I can't say that about Scream. Riddler's Revenge is another one that seems to have frequent head bumping lately, especially in the back.

^ Weird. It hasn't bothered me for the last year or so. I find it better if you are 5'7 or taller. And don't look around while you ride (learned that one the hard way!).

Heading down to the park this afternoon.

I think it's funny some people can come on here and complain about Colossus being rough, then come on here and say Viper was smooth. I'd say both rides are equally "rough" in their own ways. Vipers roughness happens due to the 1990 Arrow design of the track and the way the wheels on the train ride, which is most obvious before the batwing. Colossus is more of a steel wheel on steel plates on wood kind of roughness. As far as both rides go I've had awesome rides on them over the last year.

Some people talk about removing Viper to make room for other rides, but it makes me laugh. Viper is STILL a great ride to me, especially that first drop if you sit in the very back, so I just don't get it. The ride is in very good condition compared to its other Arrow siblings (GASM) and I think much of this can be thanks to the great mechanic team at the Mountain, keeping good care of the track and the trains. LIke Ninja, I think this is the reason some of the rides at Magic Mountain last so long, while at other parks, they fall apart well before they should have.

^^ Magic Mountain coasters also live on at the expense of other Six Flags coasters, though. Viper's been helped out parts-wise by both SFGAm's Shockwave and SFGAdv's GASM. Ninja got a boost from Astroworld's XLR8. Not to say SFMM's upkeep isn't good, just saying that other coasters have died to (at least partially) preserve those two.