TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

If that's what it really is, SFMM has completed its transformation into a glorified carnival. That matches the portable version of the slingshot ride, rather than the park model.

Very unusual for a park (especially SFMM) to already have parts on site for something that isn't even announced yet!

Not true at all. Parts for Tatsu showed up near the employee access road across from guest parking before October 1st, (http://www.themeparkreview.com/sfmmnew06/oct1_1.htm) long before the ride was announced on November 17th (http://rcdb.com/3305.htm?dt=126&d=197). At first some suspected the track may be for a dive machine, but soon after evidence led people to recognize the track was for a flyer.

The park has a knack for parts showing up before announcements. It may not always be intentional, but with modern technology and word that spreads so quickly these days, I think they like the anticipation building up.

Very unusual for a park (especially SFMM) to already have parts on site for something that isn't even announced yet!

Not true at all. Parts for Tatsu showed up near the employee access road across from guest parking before October 1st, (http://www.themeparkreview.com/sfmmnew06/oct1_1.htm) long before the ride was announced on November 17th (http://rcdb.com/3305.htm?dt=126&d=197). At first some suspected the track may be for a dive machine, but soon after evidence led people to recognize the track was for a flyer.

Speaking of parking, it's funny to read that linked post and see the joke about the Tatsu track needing to pay TEN dollars for parking.........7 years later, we're at $22!

I get that the parking fee is an indirect way of increasing revenue while not impacting the posted/publicized park entry fee, but it does seem so odd for any park to charge as few parks are ever in an area where driving to them is some sort of optional choice...therefore those who do choose to drive will need to pay a fee for use of the land that would otherwise be built upon. Anyway, especially at a park like Magic Mountain it seems fairly nuts that parking now runs more than the smallest bill you could get out of an ATM!

I get that the parking fee is an indirect way of increasing revenue while not impacting the posted/publicized park entry fee, but it does seem so odd for any park to charge as few parks are ever in an area where driving to them is some sort of optional choice...therefore those who do choose to drive will need to pay a fee for use of the land that would otherwise be built upon. Anyway, especially at a park like Magic Mountain it seems fairly nuts that parking now runs more than the smallest bill you could get out of an ATM!

The cost makes complete sense for exactly the reason you stated. If the only real option is for somebody to drive to a park that creates a good amount of demand for parking spaces. The park therefore can dictate the price of the those spaces as high as the market will allow. And in this case the market will allow for this increase.

I hate it as much as the next guy, but parking rates are going up everywhere. I'm heading to a concert in a few weeks and I ended up dropping $30 on prepaid parking. Just one of those grin and bear it situations.

Is the Thrill Shot site big enough for the Slingshot though? Wonder if they are finally ripping out Thomas Town for this.

I'll admit I've always wanted to ride one of these, but not at SFMM.

My honest guess is this is going where Deja Vu was or maybe the old Metro station area.

At least this one looks more permanent than the one at SFNE. That one is literally a carnival ride sitting on a trailer. Maybe they will open this one towards the end of the summer in time for Fright Fest? Surely parts for a slingshot would not arrive this early if it was planned to open next season as I don't see these types of attractions taking very long to install.

Wait guys ... yellow, orange, blue, green, and black? I totally know what they are getting!

See:

http://themeparkreview.com/forum/files/fullthrottle4.png

http://i.imgur.com/5qnPg.jpg

i dont get it

What part didn't you get? The Aquaman:The Bench joke? (I was wondering how many people would actually remember that 11 year old joke ...)

But hey, the colors do match.

Wait guys ... yellow, orange, blue, green, and black? I totally know what they are getting!

See:

http://themeparkreview.com/forum/files/fullthrottle4.png

http://i.imgur.com/5qnPg.jpg

i dont get it

What part didn't you get? The Aquaman:The Bench joke? (I was wondering how many people would actually remember that 11 year old joke ...)

But hey, the colors do match.

Bench: The Ride... Some good memories there!

Is the Thrill Shot site big enough for the Slingshot though? Wonder if they are finally ripping out Thomas Town for this.

My honest guess is this is going where Deja Vu was or maybe the old Metro station area.

We ask for flats... we get more flats. At least it is something that sticks with their Xtreme matra since this is usually a huge draw at fairs.

Six Flags Great Adventure got rid of Eruption (same as Thrill Shot) for a Slingshot this season as well. They did go for the lattice structure though, which does look much more permanent...interesting that Magic Mountain is putting up this version.

That's funny, there has been no confirmation or announcement of anything.

Yeah I know, we have NO IDEA what we are getting. Let the speculation continue!

^Why would the "store" a ride for someone else? I think that whatever is there is SF's. This is always where the new/leaving parts show up.

We ask for flats... we get more flats. At least it is something that sticks with their Xtreme matra since this is usually a huge draw at fairs.

This is not a Flat, it's an upcharge. NOT the same thing.

(if this is actually what it is)

If that's what it really is, SFMM has completed its transformation into a glorified carnival. That matches the portable version of the slingshot ride, rather than the park model.

Well, thematically it would be a perfect fit for Colossus County Fair.

Yeah I know, we have NO IDEA what we are getting. Let the speculation continue!

^Why would the "store" a ride for someone else? I think that whatever is there is SF's. This is always where the new/leaving parts show up.

Think about it, they are not using that space presently and they could easily charge someone a bunch of money to store it there. It's easy money for SFMM and they don't even have to really do anything (sort of like renting a storage unit).

Then again, this is just all speculation, so don't quote me or anything

They stored Deja Vu back there for over 10 years before finally shipping it off to New England. They stored Psyclone there as well before finally moving it to the city dump. Heck, before that they stored Sarajevo Bobsleds and Shockwave before finally shipping them off to other parks. Along with this ride, they are currently storing Apocalypse in the same area. So in fact, they could be charging for storage. Any type of revenu stream is beter than no revenu stream in this economy.

• Haha 1

Six Flags Great Adventure got rid of Eruption (same as Thrill Shot) for a Slingshot this season as well. They did go for the lattice structure though, which does look much more permanent...interesting that Magic Mountain is putting up this version.

Uncalled for. It seems like a safe assumption that a park builds the rides that show up on its property, save a few examples of old rides being transported and left to rot. Brand new ride parts seem likely to be built, so pardon me for expecting that to be the case.

They stored Deja Vu back there for over 10 years before finally shipping it off to New England. They stored Psyclone there as well before finally moving it to the city dump. Heck, before that they stored Sarajevo Bobsleds and Shockwave before finally shipping them off to other parks. Along with this ride, they are currently storing Apocalypse in the same area. So in fact, they could be charging for storage. Any type of revenu stream is beter than no revenu stream in this economy.

Beautiful.

Uncalled for. It seems like a safe assumption that a park builds the rides that show up on its property, save a few examples of old rides being transported and left to rot. Brand new ride parts seem likely to be built, so pardon me for expecting that to be the case.

I honestly don't think he was trying to bust your chops. I honestly think he was just stating a fact that nothing has been announced yet officially. Let's just keep enjoying the specluation before we wind down another road in this thread...