TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Now I've never ridden Colossus, but it holds a special place in my heart as it was one of the first roller coasters I ever laid my eyes on. It was the first coaster featured on an old VHS tape I had called "Here Comes a Roller Coaster". To this day I think it's one of the most beautiful coasters ever built, especially back when it first opened.

If Rocky Mountain could simply restore the ride back to it's original glory rather than making it as crazy and thrilling as possible, in my opinion that would be ideal.

Edit: Oh yeah, and get Gerstlauer to cook up some new trains for Revolution, please and thank you.

After watching CBS2 news, it has been revealed that Lex Luthor's drop is 385 feet. This was revealed during an interview with Tim Burkhart. There is also a little music at the top where Lex says "Today is your lucky day. Your life will be changed forever." and the ride drops during "forever". Nice touch! Probably won't be working next year though.

Really cool audio! Did we find out what the exact height of the Giant Drop DROP is? Not that Lex Luthor won't be amazing, especially with the audio.

Giant Drop is est at 377ft.

I'm watching the webcast right now! A test just went up.
The music that they are playing actually sounds decent...although it will go back to Nicki Minaj after tomorrow sadly.

Good quality so far. This music is putting me into a trance... Bring on Bonnie...

I'm watching the webcast right now! A test just went up.
The music that they are playing actually sounds decent...although it will go back to Nicki Minaj after tomorrow sadly.

Good quality so far. This music is putting me into a trance... Bring on Bonnie...

Indeed.

Was that "Nice try, Superman" part of Lex Luthor or something that was played to the media people over the speakers? And if it's part of the ride, I wonder if it only plays when Lex and Superman are running simultaneously?

^I noticed that too. The footage they're showing now though looks fine.

After watching CBS2 news, it has been revealed that Lex Luthor's drop is 385 feet. This was revealed during an interview with Tim Burkhart. There is also a little music at the top where Lex says "Today is your lucky day. Your life will be changed forever." and the ride drops during "forever". Nice touch! Probably won't be working next year though.

Now that you ruined the surprise ....

Some of the fun of drop towers is that you don't know when the drop is coming. Having it drop on "forever" takes the anticipation out of it. I wouldn't mind if it stopped working after the first year.

I felt the same way about the silly vibrating seats on Mach Tower at Busch Gardens Williamsburg--the ride is better without that effect "advertising" the drop.

Looking forward to checking out Drop of Doom some day.

Did you hear how she said "gondolas"! She's making me crack up!

Yes!!! LOL I was hysterical!

I enjoyed the webcast, especially since I am in Missouri. Can't wait to ride this beast in December!

Some of the fun of drop towers is that you don't know when the drop is coming. Having it drop on "forever" takes the anticipation out of it. I wouldn't mind if it stopped working after the first year.

I felt the same way about the silly vibrating seats on Mach Tower at Busch Gardens Williamsburg--the ride is better without that effect "advertising" the drop.

I sort of disagree with that, if the effect is done correctly. For example, on TOT at DCA (yes, I know it's Bad Tower), the elevator shakes violently before its final drop into the station, and I've always found that it made the last drop a little more exciting/intense. But hey, I guess I'll have to check out the ride myself though. I'll probably be at SFMM in August to ride it.

So let me think, we got a world recording-breaking drop ride with audio, lap bars, and it feels like an earthquake when S:EFK is going up the tower? I can't wait to get on this Tuesday.

How are these lap bars?

lapbarslol.jpg.1a7575bff186dc8b335782d5cc8457db.jpg

Edited by Wes

^Hey--they really do look like noodles.

I sort of disagree with that, if the effect is done correctly. For example, on TOT at DCA (yes, I know it's Bad Tower), the elevator shakes violently before its final drop into the station, and I've always found that it made the last drop a little more exciting/intense. But hey, I guess I'll have to check out the ride myself though. I'll probably be at SFMM in August to ride it.

Oh, I agree that a well-placed effect can enhance a drop ride (nobody does this better than Disney with the Towers of Terror). It just was seemed kind of silly on Mach Tower, although the Luthor spiel sounds OK for Drop of Doom.

So let me think, we got a world recording-breaking drop ride with audio, lap bars, and it feels like an earthquake when S:EFK is going up the tower? I can't wait to get on this Tuesday.

How are these lap bars?

Same as ^. It'll probably depend more on the person if you come in contact with those noodles on the sides. For example, the first woman in the picture is just holding onto them, they aren't even touching her shoulders. I'll consider this ride as having lap bars.