TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

This whole "it's not 400 ft." thing is getting ridiculous. I think its a bit anal for people to get so discouraged over a ride that might or might not being 10 feet shorter than expected. We understand that you are just in dying need to know how tall this ride truly is. We should all just be happy we are getting a ride like this at SFMM, I know I am. If it's 350, 360, 375, 390, or 400 ft, it's still going to scare the crap out of me and a of other riders in here. Bottom line, the topic is getting really tired. Just leave it alone and i'm sure you will get your answers sooner or later. It is what is it brotha.

Is it really "ridiculous" discussing about something that pertains to a ride that is about to open? Honestly I don't know why it would bother people just because we want to know a certain statistic about a ride. I for one like to know the stats about rides. I personally feel it's pretty cool knowing how tall something is, how fast it is or anything else that makes me say "wow, that's awesome." I haven't read, since I've been posting about the height issue, anyone feeling discouraged about the height. I think we all have been discussing it pretty openly without any interruption. If the topic is getting "tired" then it will end until we (the people who actually do care) learn the final stats of the ride. Just please be thankful our discussion hasn't been like this...

"Man I really hate Six Flags!!!! THEY LIED TO US!!!! I wanted it to be 400 feet and higher!!!! Why can't they just drop us from the very top of the tower??????!!!!!!! Engineers are smart people, they should be able to make it work like that!!!! I want my record and I'm going to cry about it I get it!!!!!!!!!"

Thank you.

Six Flags didn't lie to you. You are assuming they are lying because of you looking at a bunch of random pictures, guessing the ride looks to be 10 to 30 ft from the top, and what your eyes are telling you. Until we get some real numbers, it's all just a bunch of random guessing. Crying about it really isn't going to change anything to be frank. Take a breath and wait for real details to come before you draw your conclusions about a ride that you haven't even been on. If SFMM states they are going to break the record, you better believe it will be higher than 390 ft. By how much, who knows?? I'm guessing the entire drop does count the brakes at the bottom of the tower so really 10 ft in my eyes means nothing.

I hope I'm not coming off rude, and if so, I apologize up front.

This whole "it's not 400 ft." thing is getting ridiculous. I think its a bit anal for people to get so discouraged over a ride that might or might not being 10 feet shorter than expected. We understand that you are just in dying need to know how tall this ride truly is. We should all just be happy we are getting a ride like this at SFMM, I know I am. If it's 350, 360, 375, 390, or 400 ft, it's still going to scare the crap out of me and a of other riders in here. Bottom line, the topic is getting really tired. Just leave it alone and i'm sure you will get your answers sooner or later. It is what is it brotha.

Is it really "ridiculous" discussing about something that pertains to a ride that is about to open? Honestly I don't know why it would bother people just because we want to know a certain statistic about a ride. I for one like to know the stats about rides. I personally feel it's pretty cool knowing how tall something is, how fast it is or anything else that makes me say "wow, that's awesome." I haven't read, since I've been posting about the height issue, anyone feeling discouraged about the height. I think we all have been discussing it pretty openly without any interruption. If the topic is getting "tired" then it will end until we (the people who actually do care) learn the final stats of the ride. Just please be thankful our discussion hasn't been like this...

"Man I really hate Six Flags!!!! THEY LIED TO US!!!! I wanted it to be 400 feet and higher!!!! Why can't they just drop us from the very top of the tower??????!!!!!!! Engineers are smart people, they should be able to make it work like that!!!! I want my record and I'm going to cry about it I get it!!!!!!!!!"

Thank you.

Six Flags didn't lie to you. You are assuming they are lying because of you looking at a bunch of random pictures, guessing the ride looks to be 10 to 30 ft from the top, and what your eyes are telling you. Until we get some real numbers, it's all just a bunch of random guessing. Crying about it really isn't going to change anything to be frank. Take a breath and wait for real details to come before you draw your conclusions about a ride that you haven't even been on. If SFMM states they are going to break the record, you better believe it will be higher than 390 ft. By how much, who knows?? I'm guessing the entire drop does count the brakes at the bottom of the tower so really 10 ft in my eyes means nothing.

I hope I'm not coming off rude, and if so, I apologize up front.

I guess my sarcasism needs some work...

Honestly guys, have I been anal, discouraging, a cry baby, a downer, demeaning, or annoying in any of my recent post discussing the final height of the ride? I really believe I've been pretty calm about it. I'm sorry if I have but I think I've only been discussing it and not being any of those things mentioned above.

300 feet or 400.. this thing will scare the crap out of me. Heck, Supreme Scream still freaks me out. And I was on lots of drop towers with TPR last summer.. so I should be accustomed to them.

As far as 'tallest', it's all marketing. Whatever works for SFMM, more power to them. You're forgetting that the average guest doesn't know what's beyond SFMM in terms of other parks/rides.

If I remember correctly, there was a SFMM email recently that was talking about their 'one-of-a-kind thrills', yet I think they were talking about X2 and Green Lantern - both of which have clones.

Yep - here we go. From the SFMM email newsletter, March 2012.

Experts Identify Park's Most Unique Experiences

One-of-a-kind rides that make the park stand out

• GREEN LANTERN: First Flight surprises

• Extreme motion and emotion on X2

• The thrill of flight on Tatsu

Six Flags is known for designing some of the most amazing, extreme theme park attractions in the world. Many of these one-of-a-kind attractions are at Six Flags Magic Mountain, and so we asked our panel of experts to tell us which attractions they thought were the most unique.

Ok, so X2 has audio/fire (sometimes), but otherwise, it's not the only one. And for Green Lantern... ha. It might be unique because of the trims/balanced rides.

My point is that it's marketing... Sorry to ramble.

I was intimidated just looking at it going up and dropping today. That thing is still crazy tall and those who are angry about it not going to the top of the tower haven't seen in in person yet. They were training all the ride ops today. And they had signs up in front of the ride saying that it was opening June 7th. But as for the rest of the park, it was dead this afternoon! 15 min. For Goliath, walk on with Rerides on Scream, short wait for Batman, 5 min. With single rider for GL (it's really flipping now). Walk on at Riddler with Single Rider, 30 minutes for Apocalypse, 10 for X2 (end of the line was right where they split you to the stairs or the ramp, really short for Summer! No audio but fire on full blast), and 40 for Tatsu. Not bad at all for a Friday in Summer! Operations were great for everything except Batman and Tatsu.

Can't wait for Drop of Doom! I'm hoping that the EDT is rescheduled to the 6th, 7th, or 8th or else I won't be able to make it until the next weekend.

For what it's worth, from what I figured based off various stats, the listed height of 'Giant Drop' (390 feet) includes the entire tower, whereas 'Tower of Terror II' doesn't

'Tower of Terror' measures 377 feet to the top of the track. In the picture below you can see that the riders of 'Giant Drop' are just below the top of the track. So, let's just figure that the total drop of 'Giant Drop' is 370 feet. This means that in order for 'Lex Luthor' to be a greater drop, it can be as much as 44 feet blow the top of the tower. And from what it looks, it's less of a distance than that.

Additional thoughts - ** Superman is 415 feet to the top of the track (and tower). Subtract 377 and that puts the horizontal track 38 feet over your head when you walk under it. That seems about right **

Edited by metrock

Honestly guys, have I been anal, discouraging, a cry baby, a downer, demeaning, or annoying in any of my recent post discussing the final height of the ride? I really believe I've been pretty calm about it. I'm sorry if I have but I think I've only been discussing it and not being any of those things mentioned above.

Like many on here, you haven't been anything but curious. If Kingda-Ka came out, and only said "world's tallest/fastest Strada Coaster!" without giving any actual numbers, you bet your a$$ everyone here would be ENDLESSLY trying to figure out how tall and fast it is. It's only natural for enthusiasts to want to know important details like how TALL the world's TALLEST drop tower is.

anyway, you know what this ride needs...cameras at the top!

4212283907_f1c9e9af63_b.thumb.jpg.8341a1595449c4a88a377ef8f1738a49.jpg

now THAT"S a ride photo I'd buy!!

Take a breath and wait for real details to come before you draw your conclusions about a ride that you haven't even been on.

So back to wild speculation on just what the Full Throttle may be or bitching about the green lantern station whiteboard saying don't let people go up side down?

^lol. I have a feeling SFMM will disappoint me by not adding enough airtime

I'm guessing it will be at least a 3 second drop. When I rode X2 two years ago I felt airtime plenty in the rear right outside seat. The drop, then the two high/wide turns. It was fun though I wish I didn't have to wait 30-60 mins like a noob. I didn't have any form of a watch with me at the time.

Thank you for that I really appreciate it. I really hope that other people can just read pass by any discussion they are not interested in and just enjoy the rest of the thread. I'm excited by it and I can't wait for it.

I thought your questions and curiosity were fair and legit. Glad it was finally answered.

It's because something like that won't be released, you would have to ask at the WCB Q&A and hope to get an answer/guesstimate. One World Trade Center (Freedom Tower) will be 1,401' 5" tall, with the antenna extending to 1776ft. They wouldn't release something like that for a ride, we didn't even know how fast Superman had been going the last few years until the Q&A (unless you showed up with a radar gun), things that take away from the record book/marketing are gonna be kept quiet.

The funny thing about the "Ice Queen" is back when i first saw her i thought she looked like some suit who wasn't going to give a crap, of course i didn't say anything at the time to not get flamed and give her a chance.

The funny thing about the "Ice Queen" is back when i first saw her i thought she looked like some suit who wasn't going to give a crap, of course i didn't say anything at the time to not get flamed and give her a chance.

I'm not sure if you ever saw the previous president - Jay Thomas interact with his guests. He always had a smile on his face and always said hello. More often than not, it was a lot more than just hello. He liked the G.P. IMO the same cannot be said about Bonnie. I do miss Jay not being there.

Honestly, I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to know the height. Trust me, you haven't been any of those things you mentioned.

Really, the only thing that I found a little annoying about this whole discussion was when there was some complaining about it not going to the very top of the tower.

Also, thank-you metrock for that info. Hopefully now we can put an end to this "record breaking drop or not" discussion.

Thank you for that I really appreciate it. I really hope that other people can just read pass by any discussion they are not interested in and just enjoy the rest of the thread. I'm excited by it and I can't wait for it.

I thought your questions and curiosity were fair and legit. Glad it was finally answered.

Honestly, I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to know the height. Trust me, you haven't been any of those things you mentioned.

Really, the only thing that I found a little annoying about this whole discussion was when there was some complaining about it not going to the very top of the tower.

Also, thank-you metrock for that info. Hopefully now we can put an end to this "record breaking drop or not" discussion.

Thank you for that. I can't wait to know the final stats, so if anyone finally knows them please post them.

I'm not sure if you ever saw the previous president - Jay Thomas interact with his guests. He always had a smile on his face and always said hello. More often than not, it was a lot more than just hello. He liked the G.P. IMO the same cannot be said about Bonnie. I do miss Jay not being there.

Here's the thing...While I most definitely agree a park president should be out and about engaging employees and guests...they are responsible for the business operation of the entire park. It's a lot easier said than done for someone running a park as big as SFMM to just spend a day out in the park engaging guests. They have to be behind the scenes a lot of the time, and when in the park they are usually there for a specific purpose and short on time.

Jay Thomas was great to guests, but look what happened to the business. The family friendly thing was a total bust (unfortunately).

^While it was a bust, you did get the sense that the park was heading in the right direction. Theming, and effort. It was no Disney because lets face it Six Flags won't ever be Disney but it felt like an enjoyable park to go to. Now I feel like it's just heading back down the wrong path. However that's just my opinion.

-Cookie

Thank you for that. I can't wait to know the final stats, so if anyone finally knows them please post them.

I plan on going before the end of july with my VIP passes with or without my friend. I've been trying to get him to go before Deja Vu was even removed but whatever. I'll very likely be going july 27th or july 28th and since the VIP passes include backstage tour I can easily just write down questions people want answered. I'm already going to ask how tall the drop actually is, how fast it cand/will go, etc.

^While it was a bust, you did get the sense that the park was heading in the right direction. Theming, and effort. It was no Disney because lets face it Six Flags won't ever be Disney but it felt like an enjoyable park to go to. Now I feel like it's just heading back down the wrong path. However that's just my opinion.

-Cookie

It certainly felt that way after this year's WCB. However I haven't heard many reports from the park, pro or con, so far this spring/summer. Other than the Green Lantern thing, has anyone had good or bad days there? I haven't been back since WCB.

Well, the park does have its good and bad days. Operations have been pretty good (especially on X2 and Goliath!) on everything except Tatsu and Batman. The park seems to be managed relatively well and the rides are still being maintained, but small details, such as the X2 music, seem to be losing importance to the management. It is almost starting to feel as if the park is running only to make money and it doesn't seem like the park is doing much to go "above and beyond". It seems like they are doing whatever they can do to get by, and not much more. It definitely doesn't have the "welcoming" feeling it had when Jay was Park President. He just gave the park more spirit and made it look good! I am not seeing that from Bonnie. For example, theming is becoming more minimal and not as maintained, and old signs (such as Shakes & Fries at 'What the Fried?'). As a regular park visitor, I have seen the changes in the park in these past few years.

One of my biggest disappointments in the last few years was when Riddlers was left with one train. Now, the station is full no matter what. But unlike a normal station, this station takes at least 15 min to get through when full. It's kind of a burn having one of the parks largest coasters run only one train!!!