TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Really, July 7th? That is the middle of the summer. Especially after last year with Green Lantern, why do they wait til' April to even start construction?

Not trying to say CF > SF, but Cedar Fair always starts construction very early. And the pros of that is that ride almost always open the same day the park does for the year. By almost always I mean with the exception of Maverick, Windseekers, and Shoot the Rapids.

Either Six Flags needs to hire a new company to construct their rides (Adena does CF's), or start construction much earlier like every other place does...

Really, July 7th? That is the middle of the summer. Especially after last year with Green Lantern, why do they wait til' April to even start construction?

Not trying to say CF > SF, but Cedar Fair always starts construction very early. And the pros of that is that ride almost always open the same day the park does for the year. By almost always I mean with the exception of Maverick, Windseekers, and Shoot the Rapids.

Either Six Flags needs to hire a new company to construct their rides (Adena does CF's), or start construction much earlier like every other place does...

Again, Summer started last week, hardly the middle.

Second, you're comparing a seasonal park and a year around park. SFMM has to worry about keeping as many rides and midways open all while buiding a ride. If they weren't open year around, they probably could have brought a huge crane in, parked it on the midway and got the stairs moved and the ride up in a much shorter time. CF has the whole park to use because they're not open to the public. Apples to Oranges...

Again, Summer started last week, hardly the middle.

Second, you're comparing a seasonal park and a year around park. SFMM has to worry about keeping as many rides and midways open all while buiding a ride. If they weren't open year around, they probably could have brought a huge crane in, parked it on the midway and got the stairs moved and the ride up in a much shorter time. CF has the whole park to use because they're not open to the public. Apples to Oranges...

Took the words right out of my mouth.

To add to what MA said, because SFMM is a year round park there will be so many more opportunities to ride it. Sure waiting until July sucks, but it can be ridden in Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, and Mar unlike many other new rides in the chain. Just make up for lost summer time riding during the winter and spring months. If we were waiting for a ride to open in July that would then close from Nov to May, then we'd maybe have something to complain about.

Or you can just wait till WCB next year for ert on LL:DOD.

Assuming there is WCB at SFMM. I know a lot of people weren't too happy after this year's WCB at the park. But if there is WCB, ERT on this would be quite amazing. (I would assume with S:EFK as well.)

Or you can just wait till WCB next year for ert on LL:DOD.

Assuming there is WCB at SFMM. I know a lot of people weren't too happy after this year's WCB at the park. But if there is WCB, ERT on this would be quite amazing. (I would assume with S:EFK as well.)

That's true, I've actually completely forgotten how bad it was this year compared to other years. But yeah, for us patient people out there, this is another option.

I was just looking forward to a June 30th opening day because I am out of town on the 7th lol. Oh well I'll get to this beast by the end of summer.

I do believe this delay was because of a sudden problem, so y'all stop hating on the delay! Like said, you shouldn't be disappointed considering the date is so tentative.

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I believe Cars Land was suppose to open months before June 15th but they were late too (I believe their original target was beginning of 2012). But no one complains about that because it's Disney and they can do no wrong

Not really the same thing. Maybe years back in the planning stages Cars Land was "supposed" to open before June 15th, but that was a target goal, and a majority of the public didn't know about it, and they for sure didn't have an actual date. And a month before its re-Grand opening when Disney announced June 15th, they stuck to it. They didn't invite Passholders to preview days, then wait till June 8th and pop a surprise that Buena Vista actually wouldn't be done, and that Cars Land wouldn't be ready.

And of course it is not wise to revolve plans around the opening of a ride, and I think a lot of us know at.

The bigger point is being overlooked. After this long the park should have a better estimate of how much time its going to take to install a ride, allowing room for errors and delay, and should atleast give themselves some sort of cushion to work out the kinks instead of rushing everything to the last minute. If they would have announced July 20th on the same day they announced June 30th, it would have made no difference to anyone, and would have allowed them more than enough time to make sure the operators are trained to dispatch consistently, and to assure the ride runs properly.

It's the whole "knowingly cutting it short and waiting till the last minute to admit it" that this park is known for, and I think a lot of us know that. And we also know they should give themselves more time, and it would signifigantly cut down on headaches for both the park, and its guests who want to visit because of new attractions.

I don't know how involved you have ever been with a rides opening, but let me tell you something I have learned from being involved with ride openings: unforeseen things can and usually do happen. You can be on schedule one day, then a week behind the next due to the smallest thing you discover during testing. There are literally millions of variables involved with rides, and it is impossible to predict every scenario. For all we know, the June 30th date did include a cushion.

Side note: while I enjoy bashing SFMM as much as the rest of us (and do think that the person in charge of construction at SFMM should be held accountable), it amazes me how much more backlash the park gets than others over this ride. I don't recall any bitching that WindSeeker opened in August in a different location than was originally announced for its "spring 2011" scheduled opening at KBF.

Get over it guys. This is fairly common in this industry. And I am going to make an educated guess that this thread would also be full bickering if the ride did open on time, but spent more time down for technical problems than actually open.

Edited by Jew

I do believe this delay was because of a sudden problem, so y'all stop hating on the delay! Like said, you shouldn't be disappointed considering the date is so tentative.

Not sure how you can make a blanket statement that the delay is due to a sudden mechanical problem (because that is what it sounds like you are implying).

It was a very short testing window anyway, with many variables in the equation up to and including interaction with S:EFK. As far as I know they have not tested the two simultaneously yet. It could have also been as simple as the state requiring more testing than what they would have had by Thursday or Saturday. It could have been the testing crew not being comfortable turning over the ride to operations yet. It could be due to operations training. Maybe they are waiting for some shrubberies. There are dozens of things it could have been other than some kind of mechanical issue. Could have been a mixture of issues.

If there was some kind of major mechanical issue, the delay would have been more than a week IMO.

In the end, we'll never know, and it's not really that big of a deal. 1 week in the grand scheme of things won't mean much if the ride is around 20-30 years from now.

And now that I think of my previous comments, it is quite asinine if someone actually planned a long-distance trip for this thing. I understand making a trip to So Cal with the 'hopes' of riding this on opening day, all while expecting it to not open because of last-minute delays. I'm just wondering if some of the comments on SFMM's FB are bogus - I mean really, you booked a hotel room for a drop tower?

To be honest, I'm quite surprised it will be opening so quickly, especially based on the late start with construction. I was kind of following the progress on various blogs/FB updates, and they've come a long way in a short amount of time.

Since I will wuss out on riding this thing, I'm just looking forward to the return of Superman. At which point everyone will start bitching because 'it doesn't go as high as it used to.'

Not sure how you can make a blanket statement that the delay is due to a sudden mechanical problem (because that is what it sounds like you are implying).

It was a very short testing window anyway, with many variables in the equation up to and including interaction with S:EFK. As far as I know they have not tested the two simultaneously yet. It could have also been as simple as the state requiring more testing than what they would have had by Thursday or Saturday. It could have been the testing crew not being comfortable turning over the ride to operations yet. It could be due to operations training. Maybe they are waiting for some shrubberies. There are dozens of things it could have been other than some kind of mechanical issue. Could have been a mixture of issues.

If there was some kind of major mechanical issue, the delay would have been more than a week IMO.

In the end, we'll never know, and it's not really that big of a deal. 1 week in the grand scheme of things won't mean much if the ride is around 20-30 years from now.

That wasn't intended to be exact, it was intended to get the point across that obviously something came up and the park didn't think that it was going to happen. ^^^As said a few of comments up, there are so many variables that come into play. And like YOU mentioned, I'm not sure how much they have tested S:EFK and LL:DOD together.

And keep in mind people even if other parks have weather to deal with constructing rides, SFMM has 17 coasters and so many other things to worry about during construction.

I had posted earlier that someone on FB (yea, tons of credibility there...) claimed that they had very recently (abruptly?) halted testing and that employees were "very puzzled."

I think that this is all a mute point though, no matter what conflicting opinions anyone has...

I'm just wondering if some of the comments on SFMM's FB are bogus - I mean really, you booked a hotel room for a drop tower?

Yeah--why would a drop tower even want a hotel room, and how could it possibly fit on even a king-size bed?

Maybe it would have made a difference starting this sooner, maybe not, maybe if it was started sooner something still could have happened to delay it like this- NOBODY ON HERE KNOWS FOR SURE.

It was 'supposed' to open on a certain date and will not, can't change that. (what's that saying..."you should worry about things you can change and not worry about things you have no control over"- [like this]).

If you planned a trip based on when this was supposed to open you only have yourself to blame.

All this bashing the park and SF is tiring. Is all of this energy being put into the negative commenting on this park really going to change anything? Probably not.

Get over it, move on, ride it AFTER it has opened.

Well my plans were to go a week if not more after the ride opens and hopefully superman reopens. Of course the bad news is my friend doesn't know anyone to cover for his paper route in the morning and was gullible enough to even post a ad on craigslist. I askedhim, how would he know a random person would of even delivered the papers at all if he wasn't there to check? I've told him to check with his boss but considering he didn't even do that I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't.

Now he's also referring scrimmage basketball games for like middle schoolers. 4 VIP passes and the only friend I like is drowned in work. Well I got another friend, but he's a bit to big to go on many rides.