TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I wasn't posting in defense, I wasn't really responding to you in particular. Everyone chimed in on the topic, I did the same thing.

I do have to imagine that no year-round park has to deal with three blizzards during their construction period. My point is simply that if a park can schedule construction to compensate for a month's worth of unpredictable snow delays and manage to open their rides on time, you would expect another park faced with essentially year-round sunny skies to be able to do the same.

It was more of the timing of your post than anything, so don't worry about it.

But right, parks can and should be able to work around obstacles to make a construction schedule work. And like you have pointed out there are some great examples of ones that have done it right recently. But there are also ones that haven't opened on time.

Who knows why both these rides are being delayed so much. There are so many factors that come into play, and some could be completely out of the park's control. I have to think that having limitations because of the park being opened, had a lot to do with the delays in starting construction. But regardless, the park will get the ride open when they deem it is safe and ready for the public to get on it. It just seems silly to bitch and moan about the park missing deadlines when you don't know all the facts of the cause of the delay. I guess instead of waiting to hear the whole story, it is just easier to bitch and moan behind the comforts of your computer and keyboard.

TheStig wrote:

And any person who knows anything about new rides would know that making an effort to go to opening day of a new attraction is an idiotic thing to do. The whole "must be first" syndrome is pretty annoying.

God forbid the ride is open when you are able to actually go, I'm sure it will never be the same as it was opening day

Ok, That is all cool if you don't like being the one to go on opening day. I do. It isn't just about riding the ride. It's about seeing all the people and experiencing the fun of a new opening. It's about finally riding a ride that you've been dying to ride.

The fact you literally just called me an idiot for enjoying something like this was a lowball remark and incredibly immature. I know this is a forum for sharing our opinions, but you don't have to dog someone for enjoying something you don't. There are a million other ways you could have shared your opinion on why you don't like opening day rather than quoting me and saying people like me are idiotic for going on opening day.

I got to preview cars land a week before that opened, but you know what, I SURE DID go to the opening day on June 15th too because for me it is an experience. And it is about that experience.

Cyrus

^I agree with Colin. It isn't very smart to plan trips to parks on scheduled opening days. If that is what you like to do, than you have to come to expect that occasionally you will get screwed over. It may not be for your case, but a lot of times people do it because they HAVE to be the first one on a ride which gives them this false sense of entitlement. I agree that it is super annoying.

By the way, you can do idiotic things and not be an idiot. Everyone does them, including me.

Edited by ernierocker

Yeah, I'm with you. I guess who knows, maybe Intamin was late on fabricating parts or something and that's why construction started so late. We'll never really know. It just sucks for everyone involved!

Also keep in mind that although we didn't see much actual work on the ride until late, there was plenty going on behind the scenes to prepare for it (modifications to the tower and such).

It's funny, I took a trip out to Hershey to ride Skyrush it's opening week (I booked the trip 2 months in advance), knowing full well I may not get to ride it. Fortunately it was up and running, but went knowing I might be disappointed, and I was okay with that.

Wait.. I was just using logic. And this is the SFMM thread. Never mind.

And this is why it's been delayed. Seriously, I can name countless examples of rides that did not open on time, this just being added to the list. I understand it's a record breaker, but I'm not going to take a week off from work, take a plane to California, and wait in a 14 hour line to ride a drop tower!

To you people saying "being there for a ride opening is 'annoying'", believe me, the park as a business WANTS people planning trips from around the country to come ride. That is the point of opening new rides and having an advertising blitz centered around that date.

You think people are going to keep planning those trips when this nonsense keeps happening?

$#!+ happens, agreed. - But when you have a neighboring park down the road that is able to get a $1 billion, 4 year expansion project opened precisely on time (with 2 "year-round" parks operating) even a one week delay just plain looks BAD. I realize the comparison is apples and oranges to us, but for your average so-cal resident, it matters especially when people start questioning the rides safety as I'm sure they will now. (Remember, this is a Six Flags drop ride after all - people still remember Kentucky)

We're not talking about your local mechanic telling you your '98 Cavalier will be in the shop another week, this is a multi-million dollar company that drives their revenue from exactly this, opening new rides on time and reliably for summer crowds. Really quite shoddy to be perfectly blunt - I don't care how much of a fanboy you are. One time is excusable, but there is a very apparent pattern here with this company.

Edited by willthethrill

^ Everything at SFMM comes standard with trims, so that'll never happen.

They probably delayed it a week because they realized it was too intense for it's Californian audience.

But all kidding aside, I feel for those who were planning on riding it on the 30th. BUT, who wants to go ride a low-capacity drop tower on opening weekend? And on a Saturday? I'd rather wait until the fall/off-season.

To you people saying "being there for a ride opening is 'annoying'", believe me, the park as a business WANTS people planning trips from around the country to come ride. That is the point of opening new rides and having an advertising blitz centered around that date.

You think people are going to keep planning those trips when this nonsense keeps happening?

$#!+ happens, agreed. - But when you have a neighboring park down the road that is able to get a $1 billion, 4 year expansion project opened precisely on time (with 2 "year-round" parks operating) even a one week delay just plain looks BAD. (I realize the comparison is apples and oranges to us, but for your average so-cal resident, it matters especially when people start questioning the rides safety as I'm sure they will now. (Remember, this is a Six Flags drop ride after all - people still remember Kentucky)

We're not talking about your local mechanic telling you your '98 Cavalier will be in the shop another week, this is a multi-million dollar company that drives their revenue from exactly this, opening new rides on time and reliably for summer crowds. Really quite shoddy to be perfectly blunt - I don't care how much of a fanboy you are. One time is excusable, but there is a very apparent pattern here with this company.

See, I understand what you're saying, but come on.

People planning trips from out of town are coming to ride X2, Tatsu, Goliath as well as Lex Luther. But anyone with any theme park experience at all should know that a brand new attraction may not be open, and that's whether it opened on time or not. I'm sure SFMM is much more concerned about opening the ride when it is safe AND ready, then they are about people whining on the internet.

Yes, we know Six Flags can be shoddy, but in this case I don't want a ride like this open until it is ready...period.

It's not about being a fanboy. It's common sense.

People going crazy in here over it not opening shouldn't be surprised. We all know that planning a trip for the opening day of a new ride is like playing the lottery.

The pictures of this ride scare me to death! Id be freaking out plus the added part that Superman might come up as you're going up just adds more scary moments for me. Cant wait to hear the reviews once it opens

^^Its not about us, WE know better than to plan our trips around an opening date. Six Flags, as a business, chose to set a date and planned an event to open their ride. They failed, and people have a right to feel pissed and vent their frustrations. Its simply not good business in a highly competitive market.

Their whole marketing campaign is not aimed at enthusiasts though. I think what we all found 'annoying' was when enthusiasts plan trips on opening dates so they can be "firsts".

^^Its not about us, WE know better than to plan our trips around an opening date.

And that was exactly my point. WE should know better, that is why it isn't smart for anyone who should know better, to plan a trip around a park opening a ride on time.

Yes, it sucks that it seems SFMM is making a pattern of not getting rides open on time, but in each and every case there is nothing that WE can do about it. Bitching about it on a message board isn't going to change it.

Edited by ernierocker

$#!+ happens, agreed. - But when you have a neighboring park down the road that is able to get a $1 billion, 4 year expansion project opened precisely on time (with 2 "year-round" parks operating) even a one week delay just plain looks BAD. I realize the comparison is apples and oranges to us, but for your average so-cal resident, it matters especially when people start questioning the rides safety as I'm sure they will now. (Remember, this is a Six Flags drop ride after all - people still remember Kentucky)

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I believe Cars Land was suppose to open months before June 15th but they were late too (I believe their original target was beginning of 2012). But no one complains about that because it's Disney and they can do no wrong meanwhile maybe they should have taken their time and postponed too because Luigi's technology doesn't even work and Radiator Springs Racers breaks down several times a day. Go Figure!

I also don't know where some people are getting this postponed 4 times already? The obvious original target date was "Spring 2012" but that got delayed due to the unforseen circumstance of them having to move the whole tower's worth of stair cases over several inches. I believe they only announced one opening date of June 30th which they announced on June 1st but with testing just beginning past weekend, that obviously wasn't going to happen. Also, people keep complaining that it's SO late. All advertisements stated "Spring 2012." Did everyone forget that Spring JUST ended on June 20th, SEVEN DAYS AGO. People, they're opening the ride two weeks late, chill out!!!

Edited by Magic Alumni

^^Its not about us, WE know better than to plan our trips around an opening date. Six Flags, as a business, chose to set a date and planned an event to open their ride. They failed, and people have a right to feel pissed and vent their frustrations.

They do. But they're being ignorant if they choose to.

Its simply not good business in a highly competitive market.

You know what else is not good business? Potentially allowing accidents to happen on rides that were not cleared to open.

The opening got delayed. Get over it, folks. The moose out front should kick every complainer in the nuts. Seriously, whenever a friend asks why I keep so quiet about being an "enthusiast," I direct 'em to this thread.

The opening got delayed. Get over it, folks. The moose out front should kick every complainer in the nuts. Seriously, whenever a friend asks why I keep so quiet about being an "enthusiast," I direct 'em to this thread.

The Hersheypark one is getting like that also!

^^^ The first "solid" date I ever heard for Cars Land was indeed June 15th. They never had a specific date other than "Spring".

And June 15th is still Spring last I checked.

^^ That.

While it's disappointing, none of us are really surprised. We were at SFHH on Sunday and they weren't testing at all other than pulling the cars up/down the first 1/4 of the tower. I know I'll feel more comfortable riding the ride with the additional testing in place other than 3 days of testing.

So I had to switch my day off from tomorrow to next Friday. So now I get a 3 day weekend next week (with a day of Wednesday for the 4th). Fine with me.

Gregg "Maybe I should just take the 5th off and make it a 5 day weekend " C.

I would file this under "things happen" and move on. As far as those people saying that the park should have delayed opening a month ago, I'm really not sure why. I run a business where I'm always fighting the calander, often times I finish working on a project hours before it is due. I don't call the courthouse asking for more time with weeks to spare because I still feel there is a good chance I finish the project. I'm sure the people building this ride felt the same way. My guess is that up until shortly before the time they delayed the opening they felt as though they could have the ride ready in time. My point being, why delay something before you know that it is necessary to delay it?

For everybody freaking out about the date change, you weren't around when the park was getting ready to open Deja Vu or X were you? I'm pretty sure the media days for those were moved several times each.

"I say, Lurch! Looks like Magic Mountain's new ride had been delayed. Want to check out what people think online?"

I think everyone needs to cool off a bit.

^ this. Sh*t happens, the ride will still open, people will still get to ride, life will move on... Of course based on the discussions from the past week, I'm already expecting a whole new slew of complaints once they get the ride open.

^^^ go for the 5 days Gregg!

This has become my favorite thread. Listening to people whining about the opening of a drop tower and people not being able to read and comprehend someones post.

TheStig never called anyone an idiot and never said people attending opening day were annoying. What he said was people having to be first on a ride is annoying.

I have seen this a number of times. The person who runs ahead of the group so they can get the front or back seat. The person who runs to the ride to be on the first train out that day. Those are the people that are annoying.

As for Magic Mountain, they were in a no win situation. People were going to be whining about something no matter when they opened the ride. Wether it would have been early, on time or late, someone would have bitched!

Six Flags clearly has the same resources as Disney, so that's a totally fair comparison.

But lets play the Disney comparison game: Carsland opened on time, but Radiator Springs Racers is having a bunch of downtime. I bet you'd still complain if Lex Luthor opened on time, but you was down so much you missed your chance to ride. So what's worse? It's no win for the park either way, so might as well make sure they are as prepared as possible.

Bottom line: it's a brand new ride, that is basically a prototype. Sh*t happens. Deal with it.