TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Here's some video I took while I was at the park yesterday. They were pulling the gondola’s up the tower and lowering the catch car quite fast.

And now we know where the breaks start! Looks like some pretty abrupt breaking though.

I'm just puzzled that the park decided to build horizontally, rather than vertically.

They now have the worlds longest sideways drop tower!

Are you people serious about the "height" of where it drops from?

The old Superman wouldn't even reach where the red section is. The new S:EFK get's up to there and will sometimes hit the "brakes" up there. Where this drops from is right about where the breaks are. EVERY TIME. And it drops lower than where S:EFK curves up.

Just to clarify this post is not to complain about the ride. I enjoy Six Flags Magic Mountain and drop rides a lot and I'm excited and scared to ride in the near furture. I just needed some clarification on a few things and hopefully you guys and gals can help me out. I know the total height of the tower for Lex Luthor Drop of Doom is 415ft but I do agree that it's probably 20-30 feet away from the top of the tower. Assuming my numbers are correct (which I'm pretty sure they're not) that would probably make the drop between 385-395 ft. I'm not going to complain for 5ft but I was wondering if this ride will still beat "The Giant Drop" or "Blue Falls" for both tallest drop tower and tallest drop in a drop tower. I hope that made sense, thanks again!

Just to clarify this post is not to complain about the ride. I enjoy Six Flags Magic Mountain and drop rides a lot and I'm excited and scared to ride in the near furture. I just needed some clarification on a few things and hopefully you guys and gals can help me out. I know the total height of the tower for Lex Luthor Drop of Doom is 415ft but I do agree that it's probably 20-30 feet away from the top of the tower. Assuming my numbers are correct (which I'm pretty sure they're not) that would probably make the drop between 385-395 ft. I'm not going to complain for 5ft but I was wondering if this ride will still beat "The Giant Drop" or "Blue Falls" for both tallest drop tower and tallest drop in a drop tower. I hope that made sense, thanks again!

Let's forget the numbers for a moment here because only SFMM knows how tall the actual drop distance is. Now, would SFMM, who loves to boast and advertise about all of their records, open this and not have it be the tallest? Doesn't "The Giant Drop" also not fall from the very top?

Who's gonna be the one that goes up there with a tape measure?
Hopefully this helps.

Assume that all the horizontal beams are an equal vertical distance apart. That means that there would be 20 horizontal beams on the structure, but include the distance from the base of the tower to the first horizontal. So the vertical distance of the structure is equal to the distance between 21 horizontal beams equally spread apart vertically.

So take: 415ft(Height of the actual tower) ÷ 21 (number of horizontal beams) = 19.762ft vertical distance between each horizontal beam.

Based upon this we can assume that LL is 19.762ft from the top of the tower.

LL ends at the horizontal beam from the top of the tower. So take 415 - 19.762 = meaning the height of LL is *about* 395.283 ft.

THIS IS NOT EXACT. Boy do I feel extremely nerdy after this.

super-diagram.jpg.60caaf9060fe202f77b2d19467f5ca88.jpg

Let's forget the numbers for a moment here because only SFMM knows how tall the actual drop distance is. Now, would SFMM, who loves to boast and advertise about all of their records, open this and not have it be the tallest? Doesn't "The Giant Drop" also not fall from the very top?

Once again, I'm not complaining and yes I understand that no drop tower falls from the very top of any structure. I do know SFMM advertises with solid informaiton and not with random numbers they draw up in their heads, I just wanted some clarification on the subject, that's all.

I don't think it really matters how long or how high the drop is, it is going to be amazing. It is over 100 feet higher than anything else here in the US.

People need to get over the fact that the parks are going to market the ride anyway they want and most won't know the difference.

This ride will still be legit. Can't wait to ride it! If I go on Saturday could anyone give me advise for an Opening Day? I figured I should get there early but is the ride open as soon as the park opens?

How would anyone know if the ride will be open with the park since it is not even open yet?

This ride will still be legit. Can't wait to ride it! If I go on Saturday could anyone give me advise for an Opening Day? I figured I should get there early but is the ride open as soon as the park opens?

How would anyone know if the ride will be open with the park since it is not even open yet?

No haha I was asking if anyone had ever been to the opening day of any ride at SFMM and what it was like. So I know what to expect if I go to the Lex Luthor opening day!

I don't think discussing/trying to figure out the actual height reached by the riders qualifies as "complaining" I'm sure if they could have taken it even higher SAFELY, they would have.

Opening day at SFMM is nothing like, say, what just happened in Anaheim. You can usually get multiple rides in after the opening ceremony but not so much later in the day. The best bet, though, is to get in on a media event!

I don't think discussing/trying to figure out the actual height reached by the riders qualifies as "complaining" I'm sure if they could have taken it even higher SAFELY, they would have.

I doubt safety factored into this, more just ability to engineer. They took it as high as they could and still have it function as designed.

I don't think it really matters how long or how high the drop is, it is going to be amazing. It is over 100 feet higher than anything else here in the US.

Agreed! Not many in the US have had a chance to experience something like this.

Opening day at SFMM is nothing like, say, what just happened in Anaheim. You can usually get multiple rides in after the opening ceremony but not so much later in the day. The best bet, though, is to get in on a media event!

Perfect that's exactly what I'm looking for. My main reason for going is Lex. And there will be like a ceremony thing? Like an honorary first drop or something?

I doubt safety factored into this, more just ability to engineer. They took it as high as they could and still have it function as designed.

If a ride can't function properly, then safety does becomes a factor. maybe they figured all the weight of Lex at the very top + Superman riding up at the same time would create more sway/stress then the tower can comfortably handle over and over: thus becoming a safety issue. it's anybody's guess.

I totally agree. I think we finally have a drop tower more intimidating than Sonic Boom here in the US.

One other thing... I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to tell the difference between 390 ft or 400 ft when I'm at the top. ...Just saying.

If a ride can't function properly, then safety does becomes a factor. maybe they figured all the weight of Lex at the very top + Superman riding up at the same time would create more sway/stress then the tower can comfortably handle over and over: thus becoming a safety issue. it's anybody's guess.

Or maybe putting the track any higher wouldn't allow the other hardware for cables and other needs to fit correctly and work. Safety is an obvious concern in all ride design but I don't see how making it 15 feet higher suddenly causes it to be unsafe. If there is no room for the equipment, it doesn't cause it to function unsafely, it causes it to not function at all. But you're probably an engineer with years of experience designing one of a kind drop towers attached to existing ride structures, so I defer to you.

^Your posts are coming off more like you are having an argument rather than a discussion. While his tone does need to simmer down, I would also ask you to try not to be so argumentative with your posts. Now with saying that, let's all try to not get so wrapped up in small details like rather the ride will drop 390 or 400 feet because that discussion is becoming tiring very fast.

Thanks.

Eric (TPR Moderator)

Perfect that's exactly what I'm looking for. My main reason for going is Lex. And there will be like a ceremony thing? Like an honorary first drop or something?

Yes, the honorary first drop will involve the park president - Bonnie (aka The Ice Queen) dropping her drawers...

I'm really excited to get on LL:DoD, and this 'not reaching the top' thing doesn't bother me one bit. Think about this: The Giant Drop's tower at Dreamworld measures at 390 ft. With the top part base, you have to take off at least 10-15 ft. from its actual drop, making it more like a 375-380 ft. drop which simultaneously gives LL:DoD the advantage and record for tallest drop as it has approximately (using numbers from this thread) a 390-395 ft. drop...that should be all that matters.

Either way, I can't wait to go next week and get on it. I haven't even been able to make it out to MM yet this year!