TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Hopefully they'll have soft runs this weekend.

And why are people doubting the fact that they will open the ride on time? Tim still isnt done hearing crap about the last "pile of dirt," I doubt he'd make the same mistake twice

From everything I've heard from the park this week, they are still planning on opening on the 30th, with Media Day on Thursday.

Anybody know if the ride actually "dropped" yesterday, or were they just doing a "pull through"?

Also, the "basket" is a good idea for maintenance, but I can't imagine they are going to keep it there for operation? It just looks off. There has to be some way they can lower it right?

^If it's anything like the 2nd generation Intamin drop towers the maintenance basket gets bolted to the catch car for inspections. Then again, the 3rd generation Intamin drop towers have the maintenance platform integrated into the catch car as seen here.

LLDOD looks plenty scary to me. I'm not a big fan of drop towers, but this one commands my respect. I can't wait to get back to the South-land again to ride it at least once. I'll bring a spare pair of shorts. I'll probably need them.

Anyone have any info on how testing has gone? Magic Mountain hasn't posted anything on their FB... Hopefully they're still on track for next Saturday. Would it be considered a bad sign if they didn't soft open at all in the next few days leading up to Media Day?

I just posted my video from testing yesterday . Sorry about the video quality--I was using an old camera.

This was past 5pm and as you can see, the gondolas were at the curve. Later on, I was away at rides and

saw that they had raised the gondolas to just below the red part of the tracks. That drop was faster than

the drop in this video, but I wasn't able to record it. I'm sure that there will be much better video popping

up soon.

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=100_4558_vrqj[/coastertube]

The baskets are atop the gondolas when the gondolas make their ascent, but stay in place on the tracks during the drop. When the gondolas are on the ground, they lower the baskets to rejoin the gondolas. The gondolas' ascent and the baskets' descent were very, very slow. I hope that was just for testing purposes only and they won't move that slowly when the ride is operational.

I hope to see the full drop on video soon. I didn't know it was going to drop when it did, so I wasn't able to get good footage.

^^^OMG makes my heart pound and my palms sweat just watching it. Honestly it's the few seconds of wait at the top that's WAYYYY worse than the drop itself. Just the anticipation knowing what's going to happen in a few seconds but not knowing when... oh my, I love it!

^ Giant Drop, plus another 15 feet?

Yep--pretty much.

I liked Giant Drop, but I still prefer Blue Fall (Sea Paradise), Apocalypse (Drayton Manor), and Acrophobia (Six Flags Over Georgia).