TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

The shed wouldn't look quite so bad if not for those industrial looking doors. I'm not sure what kind of look they were going for there. Oh well, it's not like I expected a lot from it anyway.

^ Two center ones look attached, but I'm not sure how many cables they plan to put on. It looks like they have room for two more, but that could be just the decorative design of the top of the *catch car.

* Is Catch car is the correct term for the apparatus that grips the top of the gondola and then drops it once it reaches the top of the tower?

I believe it is only going to have 2 cables. Those other 2 "connections" I think are bumpers since the catch cars usually jump a little when the cars are released. The bumpers likely pad that jump as it hits the top of the track.

Everything I just said is a guess, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't the 'normal' drop towers have at least 4 cables and the cars hold less people? Since these hold more riders shouldn't the catch cars have at least 4 cables?

Backseat engineering? Personally, I wouldn't pretend to know things that I didn't.

I'm pretty excited to see testing for this thing, and can't wait to hear reviews of people crapping their pants!

EDIT: And here's a picture from the Park Index of two cables successfully holding the cars on Giant Drop in Dreamworld. I think 2 cables will be fine...

3_945.jpg.a728917b5836c43f68a6017d1d83692b.jpg

Don't the 'normal' drop towers have at least 4 cables and the cars hold less people? Since these hold more riders shouldn't the catch cars have at least 4 cables?

Backseat engineering? Personally, I wouldn't pretend to know things that I didn't.

I'm pretty excited to see testing for this thing, and can't wait to hear reviews of people crapping their pants!

EDIT: And here's a picture from the Park Index of two cables successfully holding the cars on Giant Drop in Dreamworld. I think 2 cables will be fine...

No, not backseat engineering and I do not pretend to know these things which is why I asked a simple question based on an observation... something wrong with that?

The Intamin Second Gen Drop Towers have 3 cables, but as we know from Kentucky, 2 can pull the car up just fine. Only problem with just 2 is you don't always get to the very top, you lose a foot or 2 (too soon)?

I look at Boomerangs though, they only use one cable. It really depends on the size and strength of the cable, not necessarily the number of them. I would think a second or third cable is done as a back up, rather than necessity. Again, all assumptions/guesses.

Edited by Double0Kevin

The Intamin Second Gen Drop Towers have 3 cables, but as we know from Kentucky, 2 can pull the car up just fine. Only problem with just 2 is you don't always get to the very top, you loses a foot or 2 (too soon)?

I look at Boomerangs though, they only use one cable. It really depends on the size and strength of the cable, not necessarily the number of them. I would think a second or third cable is done as a back up, rather than necessity. Again, all assumptions/guesses.

Edited by gisco

It really depends on the size and strength of the cable, not necessarily the number of them. I would think a second or third cable is done as a back up, rather than necessity. Again, all assumptions/guesses.

This makes sense as I've personally spoken to an S&S engineer when I was at KBF and asked why 4 cables were needed on such a light passenger cart. (S&S Drop towers)

He explained that only 2 are technically needed and the additional 2 are for redundancy.

Edited by DJeXeL

The Intamin Second Gen Drop Towers have 3 cables, but as we know from Kentucky, 2 can pull the car up just fine. Only problem with just 2 is you don't always get to the very top, you lose a foot or 2 (too soon)?

Oooh that's bad, but damn funny.

Alright, 2 cables then, that answers my question.

?id=67502107124&l=5befde5fd7&pid=12124739

Newest tweet from SFMM

i was reading the comments about this ride on their facebook page and someone said, and i quote "Omfg iz dis a new ride ?? i never seen dat red n blu tower b4 :O"

... i can't live on this earth anymore, how do you miss a 415 foot tower?!? i just don't understand