TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Does a 400 foot tower that's visible throughout Valencia magically disappear after park hours?

You didn't hear? Parks can only test during park hours now. That's why none of these ride will be ready in time, and even if they are, the parks won't have contacted the state yet to schedule an inspection date. I mean, Lex probably won't open for 6 months...

Yesterday the cars were covered up and work carts were still working on some small pieces up on the tower. Testing has NOT begun yet. But Superman's LSMs have been uncovered and I saw Sue Carpenter and others walking behind the barriers at Superman and Lex's entrances. So testing of both will probably start in the near future.

^^ I was just thinking today about when they would be planning to fire up Superman again. Good to hear they are prepping it. I hope that it's running when I'm there for Media Day, I still haven't had a chance to ride it backwards. I'm guessing it might be down to allow for the focus to be on Lex though.

I'm wondering what they are going to do on Friday the 29th since media day is the 28th and Lex opens on the 30th. I might go the 29th since I am not available on the 30th. But if it's not open then I will go July 1st.

I actually would think they'd have Superman ready for when Lex opens! Isn't that part of the whole schtick? I can imagine them doing something like when they cut the ribbon and the confetti goes off the Lex cars dropping as the superman cars go up.

Went to SFHH yesterday and still no testing. At least while we were there it wasn't. There were still people working on the tower. I'd think they'd have to remove all the cables for the work car before testing.

I just can't see the ride opening next weekend if I'm being honest. Sucks because I already took the day off for Media Day.

Didn't go into SFMM so not sure how close the entry area is to being done.

Surprised at the lack of updates, fan-wise, both here and at thecoasterguy.com! Really interested to see the progress on the entrance, at least.

Anyone else know the typical testing schedule for a new drop tower? Just wondering if it's usually just literally days, or will they be fast-tracking this ride's mandated testing schedule to meet the opening date?

I know it's not the best comparison since they are different ride styles and manufacturers, but Superman at SFDK just started testing on Saturday, and they still expect to do a commercial shoot on Thursday and media on Friday.

It's definitely cutting it close, but I'm still holding out hope. I also got work off for Media day and have a hotel booked down there, I'd rather not have to reschedule.

I was at the park this evening. The concrete's still not completely filled in the Drop of Doom area. The Daily Planet's sign is up and there's a red awning on the building. On the tram back to the parking lot at night, the driver pointed out what he said were new lights on the Superman tracks. I hadn't paid close attention to the Superman lights before, so I don't know what's new and what's old.

My theory into why the opening date might be delayed is because testing has not started and there is only 10 days till opening. Even if testing starts sometime this week there is no guarantee that the testing will run smoothly. With two rides on the same structure it could have longer testing than other rides.

Cool pics.

I'm ok with the Daily Planet. It's obvious they were going for the News Stand feel and they pulled that off. It's not like they were trying to actually build the building.

But, now that I think about it, imagine the tower of Superman being the Daily Planet building and the track of Superman being fully enclosed.