TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Well now this series has been filmed at SFMM. First show was aired on Sunday. Haven't watched it all yet. Here's the trailer link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD9l82UN0CI

I watched it on sunday... filmed last year and is OK to watch although all the ride footage gets chopped up ALOT. The contestants are ok although they yet again managed to turn it into UK Vs USA.

The z list celeb's just make me want to switch off though....

I only watched as I'll be there in a few weeks but looks like I'll miss out on Superman AND Lex Luthor

^ It's hard enough watching Craig and Bruno on Strictly without seeing them yelping on Goliath.

Be thankful you're going at all even without LLDOD. Could be a long while before I get back now that we have a baby.

If you haven't been before you will love it. Blows any UK park out the water imo.

Be thankful you're going at all even without LLDOD. Could be a long while before I get back now that we have a baby.

If you haven't been before you will love it. Blows any UK park out the water imo.

Thankfully I have been several times before but was hoping to get on LLDOD as I've already done the big drop in Australia. so it looks like I'll miss the drop AND backward Superman

Congratulations on the new baby !

Ok, I just have to say a couple things. First, patience. I know that by the time 2013 comes around, people will stop complaining so much about SFMM and sart really having some positive things to say about the park. People need to start realizing that there will be positive changes to the park. The new attractions are the main focal point of what is happening, however there are a lot of smaller changes being made, and they are going to be really great.

Six Flags is not as pretty as Disneyland Resort or a Cedar Fair park, but thank goodness we have SFMM here, otherwise we would all be pretty bored without a major thrill park. Just bums me out NEVER hearing anyone here say positive things about SFMM. If it really bothers you, there's more that you can do to maybe contribute to some changes being made, but sitting at your computer and whining isn't going to do much.

Ok, I just have to say a couple things. First, patience. I know that by the time 2013 comes around, people will stop complaining so much about SFMM and sart really having some positive things to say about the park. People need to start realizing that there will be positive changes to the park. The new attractions are the main focal point of what is happening, however there are a lot of smaller changes being made, and they are going to be really great.

Six Flags is not as pretty as Disneyland Resort or a Cedar Fair park, but thank goodness we have SFMM here, otherwise we would all be pretty bored without a major thrill park. Just bums me out NEVER hearing anyone here say positive things about SFMM. If it really bothers you, there's more that you can do to maybe contribute to some changes being made, but sitting at your computer and whining isn't going to do much.

As I already stated, and Robb later provided links to positive TR's...The park gets praise when it deserves it. But in the last few years, it really feels like they have just given up and are content with being the Xtreme park. Sure it is nice they are building new rides, but what is the point if their operation sucks?

Green Lantern has a Single Rider line now? I didn't renew my pass this year, so I haven't been this season, but as far as I can recall from last year, there wasn't a single rider line. Is it reliably staffed?

I was there on Tuesday and it leads you up directly behind the control operator booth so there's someone there, I waited about 10 minutes for an open seat.

^Tell me how attempting to make a ZacSpin a non-inverting ride is a "positive change".

More uptime leaving mechanics to do more important thing like fixing things that are actually broken?

If they 'fixed' GL then they could do that and run the ride the way it should be run.

^Tell me how attempting to make a ZacSpin a non-inverting ride is a "positive change".

More uptime leaving mechanics to do more important thing like fixing things that are actually broken?

If they 'fixed' GL then they could do that and run the ride the way it should be run.

I'll play devil's advocate and say that it's already been stated that Insane and other Zacspins have the same issues issues that GL has.

However, it's up to the park to be prepared to handle the ride's issues with the way the cars come back into the station.

I'll play devil's advocate and say that it's already been stated that Insane and other Zacspins have the same issues issues that GL has.

However, it's up to the park to be prepared to handle the ride's issues with the way the cars come back into the station.

Exactly. At some other parks they have staff ready at the ride to handle this, to 'fix' GL MM should do the same. Then at least this ride would be worth it to wait for.

^What's frustrating is that the exit ride operator always has time in between cycles to stand there. It takes the entering ride ops more time to get passengers situated, so why can't the exit operators who are already there take 5 to 10 seconds to spin incoming cars??

Have you looked at the three links Robb provided? Those TRs were full of praise toward SFMM, and showed MULTIPLE changes during every trip.

EDIT: ^ I wouldn't say there's anything being repeated all that much. I've just learned over the past few pages that there is no 'fix' for GL other than having employees rotate the trains. And really, that means there's no 'fix' since SFMM will never allocate staff to do that job.

Edited by Chrisrad

As a side note to Magic Mountain's problems, what is really amazing is just how many talented people have worked at SFMM before moving on to bigger and better things at other parks because of bad management/low pay. They bolt for Universal or Disney as fast as they can, though all would probably still be at SFMM if the working environment was better...

Seems like I have done it in reverse working for WDI at Imagineering in Glendale/Burbank?Tujunga during the Disney Decade (85-92). Did Hydraulics and Pneumatics on so many things such as Star Tours. Muppet's, Indy Jones, Tower of Terror, hardest think i did was hydraulics on Ailen Encounter figure for WDW ... and LOL my biggest failure in Rivers of America the "Swimming Beaver" but at least the jumping fish worked.

Now being at SFMM for the past year I no longer use a wrench and could care less about p.s.i. but regardless of my position I do the best job I can with what I have to work with. While its true I don't make the sick ass money Imagineering paid me all is good to me and I'm happy not being a grunt.

^You are an exception, not the rule for sure. Just from the group of people I worked with at SFMM (01-03), there are Disney managers and leads, and another group of mechanics/electricians/programmers that started at SFMM and left for USH as soon as they could.

Am I the only one that thinks Green Lantern is a better ride when it doesn't flip? The flipping almost gave me an aneurysm, the people in the car behind us got stacked in the brake run for like 30 seconds upside down before finally turning right-side up. We legitimately thought they were stuck upside down.

So i went with my gut this year, got a Knotts SP and a disney AP and ignored SFMM entirely. It looks like i didnt miss much. It was already feeling back to the early 2000's when me and my mom stopped going. Its really a shame too, i drive an extra hour to have my coaster fix, and im totally ok with it.

^^I think you might be. I found it to be horribly uncomfortable when going over the side, since it was designed to flip at that point and doesn't...

Just a bit of information regarding chain wide parking. Yesterday I was at Great Adventure in New Jersey, and purchased a "Go Park" sticker for my Magic Mountain thrill pass. It costs $20 to park here. They should give you a car wash for that price! I bought this sticker for my MM season pass for $55. I used discover and got 5% off. I also got credit for my $20 parking to get in in Jersey. Now, I won't need to pay to park at any park in the chain!

This may have been posted before but I really don't know. I found this on Hurricane Harbor's Website:

Pirate’s Paradise — New!

Ahoy Matey! Take a load off at Pirate’s Paradise. This tropical retreat is serving up tasty food and cold beverages as well as steel-drum entertainment. Alcoholic beverages are served. 21 and over only unless accompanied by an adult. Pirate’s Paradise is located near Red Eye’s and is open weekends beginning May 26.