TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^ That's just really unfortunate. It was really nice to go up there to learn about the park, and to find new items.

Honestly, what did it cost to have the items up there? I don't remember more than one employee in the tower (other then the one in the elevator).

^^My thoughts exactly.

^That's what the Sky Tower op said. I gave her the benefit of the doubt on her knowledge seeing how she operates it. I'm not even sure operators are allowed on the lower level so she definitely could be wrong and the items may have been removed completely from the tower.

Edited by DJeXeL

^That's hasn't been confirmed but it is what the ride op told me. I'm thinking they just removed the items completely and put them back in the admin offices where they were probably found to begin with.

This gives me a lot less incentive to go up in the Sky Tower again. Yes, it gives a good view of the park and the surrounding land, but how often do you need to go up and see everything? Besides, it takes three or four times as long as the average gyro tower since you have to wait for the elevator twice. I wonder what the park is thinking, as I can't imagine it required any additional staffing or maintenance work to keep the artifacts on display up there. Unless they've got other plans for the space, it makes no sense.

Along with the museum being gone, still nothing listed for the use of the stadium by Riddler either. Unless they close the Tower to save on labor costs, doesn't make much sense in removing the items. Maybe they do have future plans for the structure? Imo, great jumping off point for a zip line one day.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but why aren't people allowed to the lower level of the Sky Tower?

Because idiots dropped things, like coins, down on the unsuspecting people below.

SFMM really is going backwards, as mentioned before, the Magic of the Mountain really made Sky Tower more interesting, now it's just plain and boring in there (other than the views).

When Jay Thomas came to the park, he really knew what he was doing. He cleaned the place up, and made trips to the park a lot more bearable. I really miss Jay and what he did for the park, cleanliness wise and ride wise, an overall family friendly place. I really enjoyed the park during his "presidency". Now with Bonnie Rabjohn, the park is back in this depressing decline, and it is sad to see the place turning back into what it once was. I'm surprised that Tim, or Neal, or for that matter any other previous manager don't seem to keep the values Jay had for the park.

Was at the park today, absolutely dead, if you can make it on a weekday in the next two weeks you'll have a blast. The first lot was barely full and there was maybe two buses. Our day summed up was 41 rides on X2 being in the park from just after 1pm to 6pm close!

^ Sounds like an EPIC X2 SESSION! (jealous)

I haven't been to the park since this past October, when I was there the park looked great and everything seemed to be running fine. Just curious, but other than the Sky Tower Museum getting the shaft, what other bad things are they doing to make everyone say the park is heading back down the wrong path?

I haven't been to the park since this past October, when I was there the park looked great and everything seemed to be running fine. Just curious, but other than the Sky Tower Museum getting the shaft, what other bad things are they doing to make everyone say the park is heading back down the wrong path?

The park full of things that are worn down or rotting away like the monorail tracks, old structures that are no longer used that are falling apart in plain sight, inefficient ride operations (One train ops, not allowing Green Lantern to flip), nasty restrooms and bees surrounding trash...I know there's some stuff I'm still forgetting.

Although I love the rides there at SFMM, I can't help but feel like it's just a run-down carnival. It's one of the major coaster parks of the country, but their management there gives me the impression that they don't feel like it is. While adding Lex Luthor and Full Throttle will be nice, I just would like to see them take a brake from adding new rides and just focus on fixing up the park and making it look nice again. While they're at it, improved operations would be nice as well.

After seeing that survey question on Screamscape about Full Throttle going backwards, I am hoping and praying that it will NOT be a shuttle coaster that goes backwards on the same track. If it is, the capacity will be AWFUL.

The park is in a session of which it isn't going to get any more family-friendly. Don't get your hopes up that it is. It is not going to happen. SFMM is never going to get a dark ride, the park is unlikely to get any cleaner, and, ultimately, we will not be seeing any movements that could be considered improvements.

The station timers are, sadly, the best thing the park has installed in the past few years. Most of the time, only the crews of X2 and Goliath actually make somewhat of an effort to send out the trains before the timer runs out, and even these crews can have 'off' days. Does anyone know if X2 has its second train back? It actually can get descent capacity with two trains and a good crew.

So, what we have now are slightly improved dispatch times on a few rides in exchange for a lack of care in the park atmosphere that will only revert it back to the early 2000's. In fact, the park might as well restore the twilight admission discount, if they really want the true SFMM 'old days' experience.

The park full of things that are worn down or rotting away like the monorail tracks, old structures that are no longer used that are falling apart in plain sight, inefficient ride operations (One train ops, not allowing Green Lantern to flip), nasty restrooms and bees surrounding trash...I know there's some stuff I'm still forgetting.

Although I love the rides there at SFMM, I can't help but feel like it's just a run-down carnival. It's one of the major coaster parks of the country, but their management there gives me the impression that they don't feel like it is. While adding Lex Luthor and Full Throttle will be nice, I just would like to see them take a brake from adding new rides and just focus on fixing up the park and making it look nice again. While they're at it, improved operations would be nice as well.

After seeing that survey question on Screamscape about Full Throttle going backwards, I am hoping and praying that it will NOT be a shuttle coaster that goes backwards on the same track. If it is, the capacity will be AWFUL.

Those are the exact reasons that I stopped visiting SFMM as much. Especially when they removed Log Jammer because during the summer it usually gets over 100 and the lines for every water ride are extremely long especially Roaring Rapids. When will we see SFMM being as clean as Knotts?

Wait, what? I'm sure there is some validity to the "oh no, the park is going backwards!" cries that have started here, but isn't this the same park that has FINALLY just removed the majority (all?) of the old Metro track? Didn't the completely remove the old stations for the Metro as well? Did they not cleanly remove ALL of the Log Jammer flume(s)? I have no idea if the woman running the park is as out of touch and cold as everyone here seems to think, but the monorail track (and stations) that have sat there for YEARS (rotting away, rusting, etc) during past regimes is now gone. A ride that just closed in October is just about completely gone. Compared to years past, and even to other parks, this seems like someone paying attention.

As far as the museum on top of the tower, didn't the tower exist for 30 years without it? What percentage of people going up there even knew that park artifacts were being displayed (let alone went up there BECAUSE of them)? I think it was a cool idea, but from what I saw it certainly seemed like a decent idea that was never developed into anything more than someone putting stuff behind a velvet rope and crossing their fingers that people wouldn't mess with it. If they had actually put together some plastic/glass cases and/or shelving, I'd be a bit more broken up about it being taken out.

I don't know, this recent tide of anti-SFMM-mgt seems odd to me. Perhaps this summer will prove everyone right, I don't know, but it seems premature to label this mgt group's efforts as awful.

^ They removed an old structure that was rotting away...................I applaud them for that.

That applause is abruptly interrupted by the following:

The bathrooms are disgusting, I feel like I'm going catch hepatitis just walking by them. Trashcans are over flowing in the parking lot 10 minutes after the lot is open..........how does this happen? Because they didn't have park services empty the damn trash cans from the day (or 2, or 3) before. To add insult to injury, the trash cans "look" like they haven't been washed down in a few years. Granted it is a trash can so it's going to have some filth by default but KBF, Disney, Universal etc wash down their trash cans every week or so. At Disney you will even see custodial cast members spending 5-10 minutes on 1 trash can wiping it down!! This isn't a rant about just the trash cans, it baffles me that the park misses little things like this. A guest isn't going to come in and say "I sure am glad they removed that old monorail station." But a guest IS going to say "Why is there trash all over the queue lines? Why are the bathrooms disgusting?"

Jay Thomas had the park changing for the better. Period. Ever since he left the park has been going back to the way it used to be.