TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I know there's an open storm drain that runs along the backside of the mountain, from where Deja Vu was all the way past Batman to the backstage area (the lines for these rides actually go over the canals). I would guess that's where all the garbage is running off to, guests throw it or leave it somewhere, and eventually it collects to those drains. And it just means the park isn't being responsible about the trash on their own premises, which almost certainly doesn't surprise me, but it's pretty crappy if it's actually becoming evident off the property.

As for the rides: lubricant, oil, grease, it all basically drips off into the soil beneath the rides. Some of the worst parts are where the chain sprockets are for the lift hills. On rides like Revolution, Viper, and X2, you can see how all the grease and oil drips overtime and eventually builds up. On Goldrushers 2nd lift it's the worst, basically oil accumulating under the lower sprocket on the lift hill. And it all goes into the soil. This is stuff regular guests don't look for or see, and it's not really in the most obvious places, but it's there.

From an LA Times comment:

I wont be going to Magic Mountain again until i hear that something has been done to address these environmentaal concerns. I've also posted this article to my Facebook and Twitter accounts to raise awareness.

I'm not a tree-hugger by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm all for recycling and saving energy. But seriously, with a 260 acre theme park, dozens of rides rides requiring lubricants (that might wash away in the rain), the constant painting of rides/buildings, hundreds (thousands on busy days?) of cars coming and going when they are open, hundreds to thousands of guests when they are open, and the simple fact that SFMM 'exists', what do these environmentalists expect?

This, my friends, is why SO many businesses are leaving CA. It's one thing to care about the environment, but it's another to sue/regulate/tax businesses out of existence.

Exactly im also not a tree hugger but I do recycle, but anyways that is one of the main reasons I hate California so much. Exactly what you mentioned this is why businesses are moving out of California and moving into other states. Especially because of the high taxes in California. I recently looked it up and California is the 48th most business friendly state in the nation almost ranking dead last in front of New york and New Jersey.

I'm not denying that the park is probably one of the many sources of pollution, but as far as I'm concerned, this whole thing is basically a war against big business. This logic makes sense, especially when you take into consideration what has been previously stated:

California is the 48th most business friendly state in the nation almost ranking dead last in front of New york and New Jersey.

I remember a similar issue at SFDK. The city alerted the park that they were causing too much pollution in Lake Chabot. The park immediately made huge efforts to fix the problems before they got to the stage where there were fines. Problem solved. I can't imagine SFMM making that kind of effort... they have always been gross.

Yeah...it's very business unfriendly to expect reasonable amounts of pollution in your state.

Define reasonable.

From a business stand point when California has probably the most stringent and expensive environmental laws in the Nation is that reasonable?

From the other side do we have a right to trash the environment? Should we be expected to leave zero impact? Is that reasonable?

I can see both sides but people have to understand that there is a cost to these laws. If businesses raise prices, leave the state or go bankrupt, so be it. The people of California have elected leaders that are doing what they think is best for the state.

As for SFMM, suck it up! If Disney, Universal, Knotts and others can do it, why can't you?

Really, I think SFMM helps the environment rather than hurt it. The park's location is in a place where there are many ugly, dry hills. Back in 1971, the park was built in one of those ugly, dry hills and transformed it into an oasis of the Santa Clarita Valley. Many trees were planted making the mountain transition from little vegetation into a forest as we see it today. Yes, we all know that an immense coaster collection was built over the years, but roller coasters really don't do much in polluting the air. As mentioned before, the only threat is oil dripping on the ground and that can be stopped very easily. SFMM & any other amusement park has an extremely minor threat to the environment as the pollution is creates is much smaller than the pollution created by the nearby freeway. I think those environmentalists need to target higher polluting businesses.

Hey MM, here's an idea for you...

New SDL trains

Of course Revolution's trains are different but doesn't matter, a new version of them would be awesome!

In the name of our Lord and Saviour, Anton Schwarzkopf, Amen. Praise be to Anton.

The trains that Revolution currently run are indeed the original stock (MK2a) trains, with some overhauls along the way, and the wretched retrofit of the OTSRs to them, However, sooperdooperLooper's trains on delivery were the same chassis- with a different body (Mk2b) series from Schwarzkopf. The primary difference lies in the shells, otherwise, they had the same axle system (Two point wheelsets; now three-point sets) as well as the same body length.

However, I have been sending SFMM those pics now since they first rolled out this past week. They have two operable trains remaining, and those are very long in the tooth to keep operating without serious overhaul- and with only one train for spares, that's going to be sooner rather than later.

Go in peace, Ride a Schwarzkopf, Amen.

R.D.

Alright, here goes my full trip report from 4/28/12. First of all, this is my first tip report, so lets hope it goes good!

First of all, let me introduce myself, since I haven't yet. I live in Orange County, CA and have been visiting Six Flags Magic Mountain for about 12 years. I am a huge coaster fan, but I wasn't a coaster enthousest, until I found TPR. I know quite a bit about roller coasters and theme parks, and have only been to one TPR event, West Coast Bash 2012. Both Knott's Berry Farm and Six Flags Magic Mountain. Six Flags Magic Mountain is my home park, even though Knott's Berry Farm and Disneyland are 30 minutes away from my house. Enough talking about me, lets get onto the trip report.

Ok, I got to the park at about 12:00, and parked in the third lot. After we got into the park, we headed straight to Goliath. Goliath had about a 45 minute wait, which is well worth it! Operations on Goliath were ok, they were not getting the trains out before the timer went out, and it was running two trains. After plunging 255 feet down into the ground, we headed to Colossus which had 15 minute wait, and wow! Colossus was running excellent! It wasn't as rough as I rembered it to be. Operations on Colossus were very good! They were sending out the train before the other one could even get into the first set of brakes! After Colossus, we headed to Scream!, which had a 15 minute wait as well. Scream was running two trains, and operations were decent. They were stacking every other train. After Scream!, we took a little brake and got something to drink. After our brake session, we went onto Gold Rusher, with a three train wait. I highly recommend riding Gold Rusher without Log Jammer their, it is really weird without the flume going above your head. We then went onto Ninja, which had a 30 minute wait. While on Ninja, I noticed that Jet Stream was broken down with people on the boats. Me and my family then went up into the Sky Tower, wow, you can easily see that SFMM has PLENTY of room for expansion. They can easily go past Viper if they wanted to. So, after the amazing view, we went to one of my favorite rides at SFMM, Viper. I kinda marothoned on Viper, i did four rides in a row, once in the very back, once in the middle, and twice in the front. Viper had about a two train wait, and was not as rough as the last time I rode it. The second to last ride of the day, was Revolution. I really love Revolution, but like everyone else, those OTSR really ruin the ride. Anton would be mad that Magic Mountain put those stupid things on. And finally, the last ride of the day was Ninja, again. This time it had about a 15 minute wait.

So, all in all, the day was pretty crowded and there was a line on most of the rides. Oh and Tatsu was running both sides! I didn't go on X2 or Tatsu (Which I don't mind, since these are some of my least favorite rides). The first three lots were full and there was little construction on LL:DOD. Please tell me if I missed something or did something wrong.

Rides I rode on 4/28/12

Goliath:

45 minute wait

1 ride

2 trains operating

Colossus:

15 minute wait

1 ride

2 trains operating (both black trains)

only left side was operating

Scream!:

15 minute wait

1 ride

2 trains running

Gold Rusher:

3 train wait

1 ride

2 trains operating

Ninja:

30 minute wait

2 rides

2 trains operating

Viper:

5 minute wait

4 rides

2 trains operating

Revolution:

15 minute wait

1 ride

2 trains operating

^Yes! I asked an attendent up there if it was temporary, and he said it was permenant. Which could mean anything, since the employees know nothing about what is going on at the park. There is still some maps and pictures up there on the walls, but I would't be surprised if they are removed soon. It is a bummer, because this could've been a really cool for people who would like to know SFMM history. Seems like Magic Mountain is starting to turn back to its old self. Which isn't good.

While I did like the Sky Tower museum, and thought it was a nice touch, I'm not sure I will miss it as much as others will. I could hardly ever manage to catch it open, and it always felt half done, like an after thought.

I felt like the employee who's idea it was deserved a better effort by the park.

As for the park itself, I agree it is slipping backwards at an alarming rate. It's like they couldn't wait for Mark and Jay to go, so they could go back to building mega-coasters and treating guests like money bags. I'm hoping it doesn't continue...

^When you were up in the Sky Tower did you notice anything missing in there- like the 'museum'?

Definitely gone.

Took these today. The Sky Tower op I talked to today said all of the museum items were being stored in the lower observation level. She didn't know if the museum was coming back or not which we all can pretty much agree it probably won't be.