TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

5. How rough is Colossus and Apocalypse (A.K.A. Terminator) compared to either Giant Dipper at Santa Cruz, ROAR! at Discovery Kingdom, or Grizzly at Great America? I want to know partly because ROAR almost killed my back, and partly for my dad.

6. Finally, My dad has never Ever been on a coaster that goes upside down, or anything really huge, and i want to bring him on something big. He has back problems, so anything rough is out of the question, and he gets sick on some coasters, so i want something fun, smooth, and without too much sharp turns or loops. I was thinking Scream or Batman, are these good ideas?

My sincere thanks -Lucas

Apocalypse is very smooth, Colossus is starting to get rough again though. For your dad, Revolution would be a great ride if it didn't have the OSTR. The restraints ruin the ride. Batman may be a bit too forceful for him but isn't a back breaker. Scream may be too much for him, It has quite a few inversions though. Ninja would be a good ride for him though. Superman would be a good ride but it isn't for beginners. Goldrush is a good ride to relax on..at least in my opinion.

What exactly makes the restraints hurt, does your head bounce? I thought the problem with that ride was that it is rough/ the loop hurt your neck. And what about Goliath?

The restraints give a little bit of head bounce and feel just awkward overall in combination with the lapbar. Goliath is very smooth and a great ride. However, the helix at the end is quite forceful.

^Without a Flashpass, you could probably get in a lap on all the coasters, even by the crowds of the day you are going. However, Flashpasses do not sell out as quickly as you may think. Even on the most crowded days, you are probably fine if you are in line before noon, possibly even later; it is actually fairly uncommon on most days for the park to run out of Flashpasses before sunset. My strategy with FP days is to arrive at the park early, and RUN to X2. The crowds on the way back to the FP building should give a good idea as to if it is a good FP day. (If Viper has a long line, you should probably get one; usually, this ride has short lines, so the length of Viper's line at 30-1 hour minutes past opening is the best scale)

^Regular and Gold FP: Red Q-bot and that's it

Platinum FP: Silver Q-bot and wristband so you can ride twice.

If you want to ride X2 and Green Lantern using FP, then you must have a at LEAST a GOLD FP and you must pay $15 per person per ride on each. If you ride X2 in the morning, then you won't need to use this for X2, but for Green Lantern, it's really your choice if you want to wait in line or not. That line moves REALLY SLOW because the ride has terrible capacity and only gets about 480 people per hour on a good day (taking into consideration SFMM ops).

Also, how do you think crowds will be this Sunday?

^Regular and Gold FP: Red Q-bot and that's it

Platinum FP: Silver Q-bot and wristband so you can ride twice.

If you want to ride X2 and Green Lantern using FP, then you must have a at LEAST a GOLD FP and you must pay $15 per person per ride on each. If you ride X2 in the morning, then you won't need to use this for X2, but for Green Lantern, it's really your choice if you want to wait in line or not. That line moves REALLY SLOW because the ride has terrible capacity and only gets about 480 people per hour on a good day (taking into consideration SFMM ops).

Also, how do you think crowds will be this Sunday?

Considering alot of schools including mine are starting spring break next week I would expect a decent crowd. Nothing close to a saturday in summer, but I wouldn't expect the park to be dead.

^Yes. That's why I suggest bolting to it, then returning to get a flashpass. This way, you won't miss anything. And, if you choose to do the add-on anyway, you can have two rides on it.

Also, X2 can only be added to Gold or Platinum. If you want to Flashpass Green Lantern, you can add it on to platinum only for $15 per person. However Green Lantern has a single rider line with waits that are usually shorter than 30 minutes. I recomend using this instead of puchasing the add-on. However, X2 has no lines other than regular and Flashpass, so there really isn't much of a choice there. If you are using regular or Gold, reserve a ride while waiting in the single rider lines at GL and Revenge, allowing the most to be made out of your day.

I've NEVER needed a Flash Pass whenever I visit the park. If you have a good strategy, then you can get done fast. Also, where is the single rider line for GL? Which side? And is it still the exit?

The single rider line for GL is still the exit on the far side.

So if i get a gold flash pass, it dosent come with a wristband, so i can give it to my friend if he wants to do a ride quick, right?
^Yes.

So can someone explain how bad the average Summer Saturday is?

Pardon?

Flash Passes are available for purchase so that they can be used by the specified amount of individuals that you pay for, not buy it for one, use it for many... Why you are suggesting is that he use it illegally?

From SFMM FP Page:

Prices for The Flash Pass vary, depending on level of service, number of riders and day of the week. Regular The Flash Passes are priced from $45.00 for the first person.

Yep, they're just gonna look at the screen, see how many people the Flash Pass is good for, count the number of people riding, see that they match, and let you on. As long as you have the same number of people riding as your FP shows, everything is within the confines of the rules.

^Yep! If one person uses it for one ride, then the next person can use it for the next ride. Works perfectly fine. Also a recommendation: Reserve the next ride while you are waiting in the station for the ride you are currently at. Once the employee checks the device, then you can book another ride.

It does not make sense that there isn't even a trace of Lex Luthor parts anywhere. They procrastinated construction on Green Lantern last year too, and the opening was delayed... twice. Why do they wait until the absolute latest day to begin "vertical" construction, when they probably have a 60% chance that it will open without setbacks or kinks?

They probably lost a lot of money not having GL/DC Universe area open from Memorial Weekend until Fourth of July weekend, which are all slammed with parkgoers. All rides should really be open for spring break, which is a full two weeks of big crowds.