TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I bet someone can answer this: Are weight distribution/speed the only things making Green Lantern so tame? And I'll second the above comments, what is the point of the Zac Spin if it is not spinning? Otherwise, it just looks like a nauseating, jerky flat ride... Watching TPR ride the one in Sweden is hilarious; that does look insane.

14969025.jpg.56f5a51d053925976b2ce17fd84e10bc.jpg

I'll admit, on my first ride on GL on Media Day, I really thought it was awesome. But with each subsequent ride, I like the ride even less. Like was said above, I wouldn't wait more than 15 minutes for it and the only time we generally wait for it is when we have somebody who needs the credit.

I'd much rather ride Batman or The Flash that is 10 feet away.

Hate to change the subject (not really), but thought it'd be fun to jump into the WABAC machine.

For you kiddies out there that don't know the troll history of the park, check out this sweet train that used to do a half mile loop. A real steam train!

As I recall there were a couple of trains at the park, the other one closing a few years after this one. Obviously it's a bit expensive to keep a little steam train like that going (especially in today's world of ADD etc), but it's neat to imagine being able to jump on to something like this today, isn't it?

^Thats actually really cool, glad that it isn't just rotting away.

Hey guys, I need some help planning a trip to the Mountain on Feb 25. I was originally planning to go on the 26th, but it worked out better if I went the 25th. (which is also my birthday ) Do you think it will be crowded enough for the four in our group to get Flash Passes? And if so, which ones? We don't really want to buy them if we don't have to, but we would rather pay the extra money than only get half of the park done. I know its hard to tell crowds, so anything is helpful. Thanks!

Hey guys, I need some help planning a trip to the Mountain on Feb 25. I was originally planning to go on the 26th, but it worked out better if I went the 25th. (which is also my birthday ) Do you think it will be crowded enough for the four in our group to get Flash Passes? And if so, which ones? We don't really want to buy them if we don't have to, but we would rather pay the extra money than only get half of the park done. I know its hard to tell crowds, so anything is helpful. Thanks!

I will also be there because it will also be MY birthday on the 25th! I don't think it will be too crowded, and I'm not planning on getting a flash pass. If you do end up getting flash passes because of crowds, I'd go with the gold because of the huge reduction in wait time.

I will also be there because it will also be MY birthday on the 25th! I don't think it will be too crowded, and I'm not planning on getting a flash pass. If you do end up getting flash passes because of crowds, I'd go with the gold because of the huge reduction in wait time.

I have been monitoring the crowds of SFMM on Saturdays and the park is fairly crowded. Usually here are the wait times I see: X2 1 hour 30 mins, Tatsu 1 hour, Goliath about 50 mins, GL could be up to a 1 hour wait with all of the delays. I would recommend buying a gold flash pass because of the huge wait reductions but if that is to pricey than the regular flash pass is still worth the money. If you do not simply want to spend that kind of money go on the 26th a Sunday because the waits are extremely low. The longest wait would probably be X2 with around a 30 min wait and most of the other rides would be almost walk on. If you do choose to go on a Saturday buy the gold but if you plan on going on a Sunday don't buy any flash pass at all.

I know this is a little off the current MM topic, but after having an absolute blast with some X2 ERT at WCB last weekend, I'll say that it actually really bums me out about the problems they're having with the SOBAT. I know Tim said they're working on getting it fixed and keeping it that way, but with them taking out Apoc's audio system, what do you guys think about the chances of it really staying? Maybe it's just me, but I'm the biggest fan of SOBAT's. I just think they make coasters that much more entertaining.

^I completely agree. A lot of people won't, they'll say that the onboard audio doesn't affect the ride. But California Screamin' is like the utopia of coasters to me, in part because of its audio, Bizarro's lift soundtrack and the bits you can catch throughout the ride really make me love it a whole lot more than I did Medusa, and I loved the classical music-gone-Metallica beginning to X2 as well as Aerosmith singing "going dooowwnnn" when the trains flip forward. So yeah, I really do hope that they maintain it, because honestly I do think that it improves a ride experience a lot!

^I completely agree. A lot of people won't, they'll say that the onboard audio doesn't affect the ride. But California Screamin' is like the utopia of coasters to me, in part because of its audio, Bizarro's lift soundtrack and the bits you can catch throughout the ride really make me love it a whole lot more than I did Medusa, and I loved the classical music-gone-Metallica beginning to X2 as well as Aerosmith singing "going dooowwnnn" when the trains flip forward. So yeah, I really do hope that they maintain it, because honestly I do think that it improves a ride experience a lot!

I couldn't agree more dude. I absolutely love Screamin' and am so glad it's at my home park, but nothing bums me out more than getting on a Screamin' train where the audio isn't working/the audio cuts out half-way through the ride/the audio screws up and restarts half-way through the ride. Lately I've been noticing it get worse and worse, and I really hope parks can figure out an easy way to maintain these audio systems on their rides. I had never thought about it before and would always just think to myself, "Why can't the park keep this system going?", but Tim's point at last weekend's Q&A on the subject made a lot of sense. I had never bothered to think about it just cause I was always just too upset that the audio wasn't working, but all the vibrations that thing experiences every single cycle must be nuts, so I understand the issue. I just hope it gets resolved soon!

Green Lantern is such a waste. The first time I rode it we were really unbalanced and we got only 1 flip. This past weekend, we were still unbalanced, but didn't got more than 3/4 of a spin. Terrible waste of a ride. I also thought the explanation given during WCB was a cop-out. I definitely understand the GP doesn't want it to spin like teacups, but not even one spin? That's BS.

I did have a great weekend seeing everyone again, and loved being able to ride X2 and Tatsu a bunch. I am very leery about Lex Luther though. In the presentation, they said it would not be bolted or welded on, just clamped on!?!? I hope it was just a mis-statement though, because a ride that is just clamped on does not seem safe to me. Yes, I am absolutely not an engineer, but I've never heard of any ride being clamped on to the supports,

^ I caught that too Joey, and I agree, that made me think twice about getting on this thing.

Granted, I can't imagine in a million years the park would build a ride that is unsafe, but just being bolted on a tower that was never designed to support an added attraction has to at least give me a second of pause.

^^Green Lantern has been prone to dissapointing rides, and almost everyone would agree with that. However, most of the GP who I have ridden it with pretty much believe it is the most insane thing they have ever ridden. On my most recent ride, the person next to me was screaming throughout the whole ride, and at the end talking about how insane it was.

We did not flip. At all.

Another time, I was riding with these guys who were probably in their early 20's, who were doing the same thing, talking about how insane the ride was. At the end, they could not stop talking and laughing about the one flip we did.

I even consider myself lucky I have had two rides with two flips in them. Also, these were my first two rides, so, until my third ride, I really thought it was a solid ride. I just want to ride Insane now. However, the park will not be removing the trims anytime soon, as the GP seem to think it is insane enough how it is.

I am very leery about Lex Luther though. In the presentation, they said it would not be bolted or welded on, just clamped on!?!? I hope it was just a mis-statement though, because a ride that is just clamped on does not seem safe to me. Yes, I am absolutely not an engineer, but I've never heard of any ride being clamped on to the supports,

My aunt, who is new to theme parks, ranted how lazy she thought Tim was. After reading your post Joey, I now understand what she meant and now also having second guesses about Lex...

Edited by CoasterKings908

I have to say the sway factor on that ride alone will be the one that I'd be most concerned about over the long-term. I know towers such as that are built to handle it, but adding an additional six tons of weight to the top while Superman launches will cause and oscillation that will be felt everywhere on the tower, and most likely under it.

Thinking of the sway there means that, should something happen such as a tremor or a hefty wind, you could see some serious shake to it- and that's never good for steel. For some reason I keep seeing something akin to the Tacoma Narrows Bridge disaster in my mind- only this time it won't be nearly as pretty.

The Tacoma Narrows Bridge fell decades ago because of poor engineering and poor design. We've come a long way since then - the last time a bridge collapsed was what, six years ago? And it was because most of our bridges, including that one, have deteriorated over the fifty-plus years they've been in service. This tower isn't going to end up like Galloping Gertie, just like no other bridge since her has either. Buildings and rides and you name it are all designed to withstand earthquakes if they're in earthquake-prone areas. Nothing's fallen at the park yet, so and this isn't going to go any differently.

Edited by coasterfreak101

The Tacoma Narrows Bridge fell decades ago because of poor engineering and poor design. We've come a long way since then - the last time a bridge collapsed was what, six years ago? And it was because most of our bridges, including that one, have deteriorated over the fifty-plus years they've been in service. This tower isn't going to end up like Galloping Gertie, just like no other bridge since her has either.

It's the principle behind the wave-motion that I question here- not the wind vs. airfoil dynamic.

Tacoma Narrows proved one thing: The longer the unstructured span, the greater the waveform dynamics will be applied force-wise to the structure. Adding six extra tons to the top of the tower, then letting Superman off will push the oscillations quite a bit more. Considering the profile of the span (From top to bottom, not front to back) you're looking at a 400 foot long span that will be only structured on one end. Add that weight, and without a counterbalance, you're going to see some movement. That's where I'm raising the question long-term.

Bridge failures are a lot more common than you might think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bridge_failures

My question is, is there any other coaster in the world that is held by clamps? I'm asking a real question, not making a statement. I really do want to know. Does anyone know of any? I'm curious to see how many there are. I've just never heard of one.

The Tacoma Narrows Bridge fell decades ago because of poor engineering and poor design. We've come a long way since then - the last time a bridge collapsed was what, six years ago? And it was because most of our bridges, including that one, have deteriorated over the fifty-plus years they've been in service. This tower isn't going to end up like Galloping Gertie, just like no other bridge since her has either.

It's the principle behind the wave-motion that I question here- not the wind vs. airfoil dynamic.

Tacoma Narrows proved one thing: The longer the unstructured span, the greater the waveform dynamics will be applied force-wise to the structure. Adding six extra tons to the top of the tower, then letting Superman off will push the oscillations quite a bit more. Considering the profile of the span (From top to bottom, not front to back) you're looking at a 400 foot long span that will be only structured on one end. Add that weight, and without a counterbalance, you're going to see some movement. That's where I'm raising the question long-term.

I'm sure Six Flags thought this through. The tower is strong and can easily have a bit more weight at the top though such a minor addition to the tower structurally won't have much of an impact.