TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Off topic question, I'm putting together some numbers for a family trip to the mountain March 29-31ish. The sfmm site doesn't have any of the flash pass pricing up anymore (not sure if it's due to the offseason or what?), would anybody be able to give a ball park prediction of what gold prices will be for groups of 4 and 5? If not it's no big deal...Thanks in advance

I'm all about the SFMM coaster collection but it's a blatent issue that if you aren't a coaster lover, then you have very few options at that park. The park boasts what, 5 flat rides? With the loss of Sierra Twist, Circus Wheel, Freefall (call it a flat?), and the Rotor (forget the park's name for it) among other rides in the park's history, It's really time to get some new flats in there to round things out. Toss in the loss of the monorail, and a flume ride, and your options are shrinking further. As much as I love coasters, I look at parks as a whole, and Magic Mountain has a noticable lack of variety outside of coasters.

^According to Mitch Hawker's poll results, its most recent (and worst) ranking was 179 as a defunct coaster in 2007.

It bested only Grizzly in 2005:

174 Psyclone S.F. Magic Mountain CA 203 3 170 0 0.0173

175 The Grizzly Great America CA 123 0 173 1 0.0029

and in 2006:

178 Psyclone S.F. Magic Mountain ,CA 163 1 177 0 0.0056 37

179 The Grizzly Great America ,CA 86 1 176 0 0.0056 26

Note: Sorry about all the edits. I made some mistakes in my original post.

Edited by cal1br3tto

^ There's a lot of records that have nothing to do with height.

tallest/fastest/longest are the only records a bunch of the GP would know of (I think)

edit: then there are the "most ______ on a ride"

Edited by bostonlva

18th coaster. Most coasters in one park.

I would think they would be going more towards a "first(insert type of coaster) or longest/fastest etc record) Any coaster they build would come with the coaster crown record + if down the line they have to remove a coaster they would lose the crown. So i think the record they are talking about is more then just the "coaster crown"

^ Don't be too surprised if CP gets a coaster for 2013 as well, which means 18 coasters for them as well, a lot of fighting will be going on as we see another tie happen between the two parks...

Which is why I think its more then just that "record"

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if was a "most inversions" record. They are in desperate need of some more inversions

Plus, pretty much the only standard of success the GP has for a ride is how many loopty-loops it has.

PLEASE not another coaster with loops! They need something AIRTIME filled, such as a blitz terrain coaster or a giga coaster... a blitz terrain coaster would be perfect with a combination of loops and airtime, (basically a better version of Maverick )

I wouldn't be surprised if they did worlds longest. If they had a Giga or Blitz, it could totally follow the path of the monorail (including the tunnel) and then some in the log jammer area. That would be absolutely incredible, and be awesome for onlookers to see this giant speeding at 90-100 mph over pathways.