TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Just like Tatsu, X2 is completely overrated. Too many thrills in one roller coaster is never a good thing.

My favorite ride at the park is Shockwave. Followed by Canyon Blaster and Deja Vu.

I guess you have your own opinion on X2 and Tatsu, but there's no "Shockwave" at SFMM (unless you're talking about that defunct stand up from 25 years ago), Canyon Blaster is a miler kiddie coaster, and Deja Vu is gone.

^ Viper has amazing capacity, and is a quick load/unload. X2, not so much. You'd be surprised how popular Viper still is.

I take exception to people saying Ninja and Gold Rusher aren't good. There is NOTHING wrong with a coaster being fun and not being the biggest/fastest.

Yep, people still love Viper because it has a million loops and don't seem to care how bumpy it is

Ninja, Rev and Goldy are fun in the sense that, if you are on them, you're on rollercoaster! Yay good for you

Favorite rides at SFMM: Tatsu, Batman, Apocalypse, X2

Middle of the road rides at SFMM: S:EK, Goldrusher, Revolution

Courtesy rides only: Viper, RR, Scream, Colossus.

Just like Tatsu, X2 is completely overrated. Too many thrills in one roller coaster is never a good thing.

My favorite ride at the park is Shockwave. Followed by Canyon Blaster and Deja Vu.

Exactly what i had in mind How is flying (Tatsu) overrated? X2 is mandatory inside seat.

^ Viper has amazing capacity, and is a quick load/unload. X2, not so much. You'd be surprised how popular Viper still is.

I take exception to people saying Ninja and Gold Rusher aren't good. There is NOTHING wrong with a coaster being fun and not being the biggest/fastest.

Yep, people still love Viper because it has a million loops and don't seem to care how bumpy it is..

Ninja, Rev and Goldy are fun in the sense that, if you are on them, you're on rollercoaster! Yay good for you

Favorite rides at SFMM: Tatsu, Batman, Apocalypse, X2

Middle of the road rides at SFMM: S:EK, Goldrusher, Revolution

Courtesy rides only: Viper, RR, Scream, Colossus.

Exactly what i had in mind How is flying (Tatsu) overrated? X2 is mandatory inside seat.

^People used to be all over dirt and land clearing pics, particularly when they built Tatsu and Terminator. Why is everyone shooting them down now?

Nobody cares about dirt, it's dirt and markers with spray paint that it's all about

I love Tatsu and X2! Can't wait to ride them in just a few days!!! I'm interested to see if they have any new food offerings as well. I'm really waiting for the red velvet funnel cake that was at IAAPA to show up somewhere!

I've only ridden it once, but so far i don't think my crotch is digging Green Lantern

To everyone:

This cannot be said enough. If your male, empty your pockets before you ride, no keys, no phone, no nothing in your front pockets. Sit in the seat, and when the restraint comes down, take your elbows and push the lapbar into your thighs. It will be uncomfortable, but your testes will thank you.

This has been a Buckaroo service announcement

I've only ridden it once, but so far i don't think my crotch is digging Green Lantern

To everyone:

This cannot be said enough. If your male, empty your pockets before you ride, no keys, no phone, no nothing in your front pockets. Sit in the seat, and when the restraint comes down, take your elbows and push the lapbar into your thighs. It will be uncomfortable, but your testes will thank you.

This has been a Buckaroo service announcement

That should be on a sign posted at the entrance to that ride!

Agreed. I have ridden Green Lantern at least 30 times, and not once have I had an issue...um down there. All my rides have been fun and enjoyable. And I haven't heard anyone complain about the other Zac Spin incarnations. What is it with Americans and finding some kind of pain on any ride that doesn't move in a straight line.

Agreed. I have ridden Green Lantern at least 30 times, and not once have I had an issue...um down there. All my rides have been fun and enjoyable. And I haven't heard anyone complain about the other Zac Spin incarnations. What is it with Americans and finding some kind of pain on any ride that doesn't move in a straight line.

I'm with you, I've had no pain down there on my 50+ rides on it. Only a few times can I recall any pain in my stomach area, and those were on very imbalanced rides where I was going through the initial turn head first...

^I 100% agree with this, I've never had an issues with GL down there. After I305 blackouts and GL intensity Intamin probably think we Americans are a bunch of wimps lol.

^I 100% agree with this, I've never had an issues with GL down there. After I305 blackouts and GL intensity Intamin probably think we Americans are a bunch of wimps lol.

Because we are!

Because we are!

Americans are wimps huh? Tell that to the Nazis and Al-Qaeda. You all should be ashamed. Home of the Brave!

^^^Well, entire companies rely on people being wimps. **coughb&mcough**

I believe the reason why people think GL is painful is not the forces of the ride, but the tendency for the restraints to be forced down midway through the ride. On all my rides where this did not happen, I had no pain. However, on those of which it did, those rides were pretty painful. My guess is the strategy is to keep your body forward against the restraint to avoid being squashed. I have figured out the best defensive position for almost all rides at SFMM. GL is the only large coaster I have ridden less than four times. Hopefully I can figure it out at WCB!

Or do I just need to actually hold on? I have never gotten a painful ride on which I actually held on. Even in the arm guard, it is still possible to get your arm in the air, if you stick it up when the restraint comes down. Actually, this almost makes the ride better, since it pins one of your arms in the air, and you know that you would take a few seconds to grab on again. This results in a feeling of vulnerability, since your reaction will be to hold on, but you can't. It makes the ride more awesome.

^Brave people fight for America. While back at home, Americans are a bunch of fat, sue-happy, high school dropout coutch potatoes. We Americans should all be ashamed for the image we create, while we send good people off to fight for it!

Because we are!

Americans are wimps huh? Tell that to the Nazis and Al-Qaeda. You all should be ashamed. Home of the Brave!

Ugh, did you really just type that?

Honestly, when it comes to thrill rides and roller coasters, Americans ARE wimps. Even the most stereotypical gun-toting, nazi killing, sports jocks will be reduced to crying babies on some rides and roller coasters. You'd be shocked, but I would see it all the time!

"Kinda Ka? Eff that! But give me a gun to shoot and I'm all over it!"

The Europeans totally have us beat when it comes to extreme rides. Just go to a German fair sometime and you'll see exactly what I mean. Or are you too scared to step foot in the country that Hitler was in control of?

--Robb "That seriously may be one of the dumbest posts ever on TPR!" Alvey

Ugh, did you really just type that?

Honestly, when it comes to thrill rides and roller coasters, Americans ARE wimps. Even the most stereotypical gun-toting, nazi killing, sports jocks will be reduced to crying babies on some rides and roller coasters. You'd be shocked, but I would see it all the time!

"Kinda Ka? Eff that! But give me a gun to shoot and I'm all over it!"

The Europeans totally have us beat when it comes to extreme rides. Just go to a German fair sometime and you'll see exactly what I mean. Or are you too scared to step foot in the country that Hitler was in control of?

--Robb "That seriously may be one of the dumbest posts ever on TPR!" Alvey

Sorry you must of mistaken me. I'm a private in the 82nd Airborne Division, 2nd Brigade Combat Team out of Fort Bragg. Just defending my countrymen like I signed up to do. Great to know I'm fighting for people like you who sit around eating funnel cake and riding coasters for a living and making comments like that. And also, I'm assigned to Afghanistan in 5 months so you can guess if I'm scared to go to Germany.

Edited by robbalvey

I think you mistook Robb as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as proud as any American of my country and the people willing to lay down their lives for her, but it's not really necessary to defend us over roller coasters...because they're just roller coasters, which most of the GP are wimps at, more due to a ride's elements than anything that would make the ride actually dangerous, and judging from the videos Robb as shot all over the world, there certainly seem to be some truly unsafe rides out there!

I can't tell you how many times my friends who don't frequent SFMM were terrified of X2 or Superman, and that they only got on Tatsu because they didn't know that one of the aspects of a flying coaster meant that riders face the ground, with nothing but the restraints holding them.

^ Ya I know you all meant on rollercoasters. But seriously I just can't take it when people categorize Americans in any aspect. I mean do you really believe nationality has anything to do with peoples fears of a ride.

Yes. It's a culture thing. Granted, as America is a melting pot it has a much bigger base than most countries, but it does influence it. Look up some of Robb's videos from China and watch how they ride their rides. They hold on for dear life where in the US many throw their hands up. Americans are different from Germans, who are different from Chinese, who are different from Russians. In the US we have a system that allows people to sue for ANYTHING really, and that alone keeps parks from building/running some rides like they should. I know first hand how parks have modified rides because of people saying they were too extreme. It happens.

Anyways, back to speculating on LJ's replacement and construction for Lex Luthor

Just out of curiosity, am I the only one hoping for/expecting a Verbolten or Cheetah Hunt style of launched coaster (multiple launches, one to, say, take riders over Superman and the other side of the mountain, and a second launch for the return journey) or a Eurofighter for LJ's spot?

Edited by coasterking2981

True story: anyone who has ever worked as a ride operator at a roller coaster will tell you that one of the most common questions is "is it scary?" If the roller coaster happens to be indoors, the #2 question will be "does it have loops?"

End of discussion.

True story: anyone who has ever worked as a ride operator at a roller coaster will tell you that one of the most common questions is "is it scary?" If the roller coaster happens to be indoors, the #2 question will be "does it have loops?"

End of discussion.

Revival of discussion.

When I visited Kings Dominion with my girlfriend this summer, as we were about to board Flight of Fear, she looked at the lapbars and asked, "does this go upside down?" I said, "Yes, four times," and she freaked out a bit. I don't think she believed me until she was actually upside down. At least she enjoyed the ride; plus she's now an Enthusiast-in-Training

Re-end of discussion.