TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^Although I'm guilty of it as well, I am a bit perplexed that a lot of people seem so 'set' in the idea of it being one kind of ride or another. I just don't feel like the evidence is that strong, although a fair amount of the speculation I've seen does sound logical. I feel like a lot of people are expecting an enthusiast-pleaser, but as others have said, it's likely a highly marketable record is going to take priority over airtime or heavy terrain use.

Just because the ride is not B&M, it doesn't mean it will be an Intamin. Sure, I'd like one of those, and I must say it would be the most likely option if the park is going for a thrill coaster, but if they want something a little more family friendly I wouldn't rule out companies like Mack or Zierer. If it ends up being a launched coaster, both of those companies seem like they're capable of providing a good ride, and if they can offer what the park wants for a cheaper price I don't see why they wouldn't be the ones doing it.

As far as the giga coaster rumor goes, as I've said before, I'll believe it when I see an official announcement. I just don't think SFMM would be a good park for a giga. They've got a mega coaster already, and they've got a coaster that's over 400 ft as well, so the draw of a 300 ft. coaster that is similar to Goliath just doesn't seem that great. I'd also prefer it if the park didn't dominate the hillside with a giant coaster. Maybe when the time comes to remove Viper, they can run a giga along that side of the park, but until then I'm guessing there's a better chance of the park getting a launched coaster than a giga.

Also, for the Mega-Lite idea, I'm pretty sure the park said at last year's WCB that they weren't looking into that. I would say its got too low of capacity for a park like SFMM, but they did just put in Green Lantern (which I believe is lower capacity).

^Magic Mountain tried the family-friendly approach and failed. There's probably a 95% chance this is going to be something for the adrenaline junkies, following on the heels of LL:DOD.

Also, work is starting to prep the site already, which indicates that we're looking at something big in scale. They haven't even installed LL:DOD and they're already clearing the land for 2013's ride.

Canada's Wonderland is currently putting in Leviathan, essentially (in almost every manner) a giga-sized Behemoth. They might as well be the same ride, with different scales. There is a HUGE difference between something like Intimidator and Goliath. An immeasurable difference, really. There's no way they can't get away with marketing the "tallest giga coaster in the world." Break a record or two and people will eat it up.

^Magic Mountain tried the family-friendly approach and failed. There's probably a 95% chance this is going to be something for the adrenaline junkies

^This has been said a million times Elissa has said it, Robb has said it, many others have said it yet people still just refuse to except it

Also, work is starting to prep the site already, which indicates that we're looking at something big in scale. They haven't even installed LL:DOD and they're already clearing the land for 2013's ride.

^This...I just can't see why some aren't putting two and two together and see that this activity is leading up to something huge in scale, whether it's launched or Giga is still yet to be seen. SFMM is not clearing out an old but loved ride that took up 6 acres of valuable land to add a megalite lol

Canada's Wonderland is currently putting in Leviathan, essentially (in almost every manner) a giga-sized Behemoth. They might as well be the same ride, with different scales. There is a HUGE difference between something like Intimidator and Goliath. An immeasurable difference, really. There's no way they can't get away with marketing the "tallest giga coaster in the world." Break a record or two and people will eat it up.

^This too lol, It has be said over and over and over and yet people still refuse to get that point, heck there's parks with Two Inverts :::coughLARondecough::: so why is the idea of SFMM or any park for that matter having a hyper and a giga still so outlandish to some people. Look at CP they did MF 11 years after Magnum, CW is doing Levi 4 years after Behemoth and SFMM would be doing Giga 13 years after Goliath.

And Sir Clinksalot you are 100% correct it doesn't guarantee that SFMM starting early means something huge is coming, but come on this is SFMM were talking about here. Do you really think SFMM is starting this early to preserve the area, yet wouldn't preserve a classic ride that's being sitting there for over 40 years, The park that has destroyed every ounce of charm the park once had to create this Xtreme park coaster king we have today I really don't think they are to worried about trees imo.

You're seriously underestimating these engineers' ability to cram.

Not quite, I know what can be done, that's not to point I was making. A lot of people really seem to be fixated on a massive coaster for some reason and I simply do not agree. Just because a coaster people are hoping for has a similar footprint as current constriction doesn't mean that's what will be built.

With that said, I'm placing my bet with a different company and design for the area with a unique layout to fit the area perfectly. Something that we haven't really seen yet for the park for a long time.

I don't think a launched coaster would provide good airtime either. Hopefully it's a giga around 320 ft with a bunch of airtime hills, and I don't wanna hear the whole " it wouldnt make sense with Goliath already there". Goliath has zero airtime and if the giga was 320 plus feet, it would be around the same height differential as Leviathan and Behemoth, 70 ft.

Did Millennium Force come out before or after Goliath? Either way it was the around the same time, idk why MM didn't just make it 300 ft. with more than 1 airtime hill.

Like the guy said at the conference MM is about "firsts" or "highest/tallest" so i doubt we will be seeing a Mega-lite, most people won't know or care about what it is..

A mega-lite is designed for medium-sized parks (e.g. SFDK, SFFT) where the park isn't as desperate for a high capacity ride, doesn't have enough space for a larger mega coaster, and/or doesn't have enough money to build a larger coaster.

SFMM wouldn't fit any of the 3 categories.

^Magic Mountain tried the family-friendly approach and failed. There's probably a 95% chance this is going to be something for the adrenaline junkies

^This has been said a million times Elissa has said it, Robb has said it, many others have said it yet people still just refuse to except it

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

^ I sort of have to agree with you as well. Yes, I understand the park has more of an extreme thrill park type of atmosphere, which of course I'm perfectly fine with. I wouldn't necessarily say that they have given up on the family aspect of the park as they did just install a kid coaster, and changed the entire Thomas Town. I guess what I'm trying to say is that of course no one knows what the new "attraction" replacing log jammer will be yet, and everyone is just inputing what they really want it to be. (Which by looking over the last 30 pages or so, seems that an Intamin multi-launch has the most votes this far.) It doesn't really seem fair to say that they're just abondoning the whole idea of any family attractions.

Edited by 6flagsbrad

Did Millennium Force come out before or after Goliath? Either way it was the around the same time, idk why MM didn't just make it 300 ft. with more than 1 airtime hill.

Like the guy said at the conference MM is about "firsts" or "highest/tallest" so i doubt we will be seeing a Mega-lite, most people won't know or care about what it is..

Goliath came out a few months before Millennium Force. Goliath is soooo much better. I'm sure it will be amazing since its Magic Mountain.

Hey everyone,

We're planning a coasters trip on may, starting with Cedar Point and Kings Dominion and finishing with SFMM after a few days in vegas.

We'll be in SFMM 28-29th of may. My worst fear is that Superman won't be open till then because of the DOD construction.

According to your past experience, what are the chances the two rides will be open? It will be a shame flying 6,000 miles and finding Superman closed...

They also said "Spring" for Green Lantern and it didn't open until July.

They also said 2010 for Mr. Six's Dance Coaster, and it didn't open until June 2011.

You have to think of it this way:

Superman JUST closed last week. Not sure what kind of prep work they are doing so far, but I haven't seen, or heard any reports of anything for the new ride showing up on site yet. Doesn't mean it's not there, but I didn't see anything backstage or anything last week.

Also, Spring goes until mid-late June. I wouldn't make a trip to SFMM just to ride Superman, just in case.

Psh, this is just how the park always operates. Wait until the very last minute to start construction with very little going on, then begin to rush to complete the ride at the opening date as it comes nearer. This increases the chances for a problem or something to go wrong, and when the ride doesn't open on time this "problem" is what the park blames for the ride opening delay, not their own god awful planning. Generally these are the issues that cause a delay of the final opening of the ride.

Not saying that's what is going to happen with this ride, but it's a bad habit to get into especially considering it gives you minimal time for error correction if a mistake arises or it doesn't operate the way it's designed (which with Magic Mountain, ANYTHING can happen, and it usually does).

With this park the best thing to do is just wait until it's actually open. Anything other than that like planning a trip before the ride is actually operating is a gamble IMO. To me it doesn't seem like there's that much involved in a ride like this, but we'll see.

^ Actually most parks don't even announce opening dates any more, until the ride is almost finished. And given that SFMM is a year round park, they can open a new ride any time they choose, probably whatever works to their "marketing" advantage.

I do agree though that delays are frustrating if you're planning a trip from far away.

They said "Late Spring Opening" if I remember correctly, which usually means Memorial Day weekend. So if everything goes as planned, it will probably be open. If they said "Spring" you're still probably fine.

The website says just "spring," but with SFMM as it has been said that could mean anything from the middle of March to July 4th weekend.

Look at it this way, Dollywood is already testing their new coaster.

Have we seen any of the coasters or attractions going in at ANY Six Flags park that look even remotely close to being done? Superman? X Flight? Apocalypse?

I've seen X Flight construction pics, but it's not anywhere close to being done.

This isn't just an SFMM thing.