TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Goliath has zero airtime and if the giga was 320 plus feet, it would be around the same height differential as Leviathan and Behemoth, 70 ft.

That wasn't the case when I rode; the infamous airtime hill delivered for me perfectly well. In fact, I was surprised so many people say the ride lacks airtime, as I felt some further on in the course as well.

I agree with your main point, however. It's clear a giga could work even though we have Goliath. But I'm still hoping for an intense, creatively designed, airtime-filled launcher.

I'm hoping, praying, wishing for a 320 foot version of something like Skyrush imagining that first drop 300+ feet in the air with nothing but a lapbar in an edge seat

I'll take an airtime filled Blitz/launcher with the soft straps but the only thing that scares me about anything that may launch is the downtime that can come with it. I know every coaster may have it's issues but launchers always seam to come with many more issues then cable or chain lift coasters.

Question? How would you feel is SFMM put T-express in that location?

Since T-Express is my #1 wooden coaster, I'd say yes - but, it does take up quite a lot of real estate. Narrow, but long. Not too likely at this point in time.

I will not ride it. Elissa had to really convince me to get on Blue Fall in Japan, which I think is in the high 300s...I screamed all the way down. I'm not going on something that's going to be taller.

You were shaking and walking pretty slow after that too!!! And talking a mile-a-minute. Oh wait....

^ Have you ridden Kingda Ka? It's really not that great if I'm being honest. In fact, I'd say that S:EFK in it's current state is actually better. At least IMO.

My biggest thing is that I don't want that area of the park to turn into yet another concrete slab. I'd really love some kind of terrain coaster that utilizes the tree line and maybe even follows much of the same path that Log Jammer did.

^ Have you ridden Kingda Ka? It's really not that great if I'm being honest. In fact, I'd say that S:EFK in it's current state is actually better. At least IMO.

My biggest thing is that I don't want that area of the park to turn into yet another concrete slab. I'd really love some kind of terrain coaster that utilizes the tree line and maybe even follows much of the same path that Log Jammer did.

I agree with you "Sir C." I'm not a fan of Kingda Krap. Yes, I too like the new version of Supe better than K.K. In fact of the 3 U.S. Intamin cable launch coasters (K.K., Dragster, Xcel.) I've ridden, I like Xcelerator the best. I can do multiple reps all day (I can't wait for WCB), and still enjoy it the most.

I too am for a Giga with lots of airtime and zig zag thru the forested hills. There isn't one yet on the West Coast! And knowing SFMM, they want to be in a position as being the FIRST! Likely an Intamin custom made with elements of Maverick, Intimidator 305, or Millenium Force but taller, bigger!! The swift early removal of Log Jammer and clearing of the area can be a sign. Only time will tell, if we start to see some kind of markers spread throughout the area. We can then get a better idea what's coming! And let's not forget the former Deja Vu area! Ahhhhh, the possibilities!! 2012-2013 is surely gonna be an exciting time for the Mountain!! ……starting with Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom!

I agree, we're all waiting for the announcement SFMM will make later on this year... I'm praying for a giga, as it would be the first SF park to have a giga, and make SFMM have more bragging rights... It'd be nice to see a blitz coaster as well, which would be a good combination of airtime and inversions... All in all I'm posting my bets on a giga, but I guess we'll have to wait and see...

I doubt it's a Giga. (While I maybe called crazy and just a flat out idiot for saying this) I just have a feeling we're gonna see a Mega-Lite before we see a Giga. While I'm probably way off I'm just gonna be happy with airtime.

-Cookie

So you'd rather have a coaster with airtime that's under 200 ft than a coaster with airtime that's over 300ft? I'm not callin you crazy but.....

No, by all means I never said I'd RATHER have a Mega-Lite over a Giga. I just said that's what I think is more likely.

-Cookie

If the park gets this massive coaster in 2013 like you guys are hoping for, you know what that means...

Coaster War of 2013; Six Flags Magic Mountain VS. Cedar Point!

I can aready hear the arguing...

Tell me about it! If they get tied for the coaster crown (once again) I can only see them fighting for who has he tallest and fastest coaster now, not who has the most since it's already ironic to me that they've been fighting over that for a few years now..

IIRC the location of Log Jammer wouldn't a giga look out of place there (I know, a stupid question, right?) Even if they were to go with something similar to I305, which is more "compact" than Millennium Force, you're still talking a large chunk of real estate for it to burn off the 90+ mph speed without having to brake it to death.

I doubt it's a Giga. (While I maybe called crazy and just a flat out idiot for saying this) I just have a feeling we're gonna see a Mega-Lite before we see a Giga. While I'm probably way off I'm just gonna be happy with airtime.

-Cookie

So you'd rather have a coaster with airtime that's under 200 ft than a coaster with airtime that's over 300ft? I'm not callin you crazy but.....

No, by all means I never said I'd RATHER have a Mega-Lite over a Giga. I just said that's what I think is more likely.

-Cookie

Oh, understood. I miss read your post. But I still don't think they'd get something smaller than Goliath with no inversions. How would they pitch that effectively to the GP.

^Why would they put an apocalyptic themed ride in the front of the park in Log Jammers area and not in the back of the park by Apocalypse?

I do agree on this though

With all the work being done around Log Jammer's former spot, and how early it's being done, I'm sensing something pretty major. If not in height, certainly in scale.

-Cookie

Since the majority of the GP has no idea what airtime is, I highly doubt we will ever see a Mega-Lite at SFMM "the Xtreme park." I dont see how SFMM would market a Mega-Lite to the good 'ol GP. We all know they would look at a Mega-Lite and think "ehh, no inversions on a steel coaster?!? must just be a smaller and slower version of Goliath" The only thing that seems to get the GP off is taller, faster and a bunch of inversions.

I hope I am wrong about this one because a Mega-Lite in So-Cal would be amazing!

All I want from SFMM in 2013 is more Intamin! I think it will be some kind of mix of Maverick, I-speed and Storm Runner using all the surrounding terrain and such.

^Or just taller and faster - it's amazing the praise that you hear from every train that comes back to the station on I305. They can market a giga, easy. Especially if they take the "tallest gravity coaster" (just simplifying the tallest-lift-hill-gravity-driven-drop category) record or something like that, which they could probably do since we aren't dealing with Millennium Force having to be the tallest giga in the chain.

So Cal resident + airtime = "ZOMG dude I was like gonna fly out man... so much Gs like I was flying out of my seat.. that rides not safe, bro."

That pop of airtime on Goliath doesn't get nearly enough love - it was amazing on my last few rides.

Otherwise, SFMM = inversions and crazy elements, but no airtime.

Don't parks occasionally market airtime to the public? Or at least make a note of it in promotional material?

Not SFMM - it was marketed as the thrill/extreme park, and/or the park with the most coasters. It seems like the theme with their advertising is that they have record-breakers.