TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I was very surprised that I got the rides I did today as I've never been too impressed with Colossus and would usually only give it a courtesy ride when I'd visit the park and would skip it all together when they had 1 train operation with the line spilling out of the entrance. Colossus thoroughly impressed me and outshines Ghostrider in terms of overall ride quality. I know I'll catch some heat from the GR fanboys but I stand by my statement.

I was very surprised that I got the rides I did today as I've never been too impressed with Colossus and would usually only give it a courtesy ride when I'd visit the park and would skip it all together when they had 1 train operation with the line spilling out of the entrance. Colossus thoroughly impressed me and outshines Ghostrider in terms of overall ride quality. I know I'll catch some heat from the GR fanboys but I stand by my statement.

I agree, I love Colossus a lot more than Ghostrider. Even after its maintenance , Ghostrider is still very rough in my opinion. I always think of the movie N.L. Vacation when I ride Colossus.

^I knew those were block brakes as they do not even look or function like trims (the brakes in the CENTER ON THE TRACK at the top of each hill- which look like they originally came with the ride). The only trim brakes that I am aware of and that look like they were added after the fact (like you have just explained) are the brakes on the SIDES of the track at the top of the run to the loop and the same type of brakes just before you go through the middle of the loop. There are no other trims on this ride unless you count the brakes at the end of the ride entering the transfer track. All of the other brakes during the course are for blocking/emergency use plus, these brakes just happen to be in a spot where the train creeps through them so it would not make sense to trim the train there, there is no need to.

What your actually seeing in the center of the track are anti-rollback devices. All of His works use brakes on the sides (similar to MF/Expedition Geforce). The anti-rollbacks are for when the block is triggered and the brakes have to stop the train, when the brakes release it doesnt go backward and valley. The only thing thats been changed, or 'trimmed' is the braking program. The PLC for revolution hits the train with more braking force than it was designed to have, effectively trimming the ride.

Its ok tho, i made the same mistake when i went to safety the ride (looked like quite the dumbass)

Are those parking lot lines under Colossus? Blasphemy.

They need to theme it with some sort of landscaping (those wild palm trees are a good start).

At least it isn't as apparent as Scream!

Also, it's heartbraking to see Log Jammer being demolished, it was such a good ride, now SFMM has NO quality family rides.

Today is the last day of operation until LL:DOD opens.

I agree, I love Colossus a lot more than Ghostrider. Even after its maintenance , Ghostrider is still very rough in my opinion. I always think of the movie N.L. Vacation when I ride Colossus.

NL's Family Vacation is one of my favorite movies and every time I visit the park I always think of "Walley World."

Today is the last day of operation until LL:DOD opens.

NL's Family Vacation is one of my favorite movies and every time I visit the park I always think of "Walley World."

Moose says no, I say yes...

^I knew those were block brakes as they do not even look or function like trims (the brakes in the CENTER ON THE TRACK at the top of each hill- which look like they originally came with the ride). The only trim brakes that I am aware of and that look like they were added after the fact (like you have just explained) are the brakes on the SIDES of the track at the top of the run to the loop and the same type of brakes just before you go through the middle of the loop. There are no other trims on this ride unless you count the brakes at the end of the ride entering the transfer track. All of the other brakes during the course are for blocking/emergency use plus, these brakes just happen to be in a spot where the train creeps through them so it would not make sense to trim the train there, there is no need to.

What your actually seeing in the center of the track are anti-rollback devices. All of His works use brakes on the sides (similar to MF/Expedition Geforce). The anti-rollbacks are for when the block is triggered and the brakes have to stop the train, when the brakes release it doesnt go backward and valley. The only thing thats been changed, or 'trimmed' is the braking program. The PLC for revolution hits the train with more braking force than it was designed to have, effectively trimming the ride.

Its ok tho, i made the same mistake when i went to safety the ride (looked like quite the dumbass)

Several of his rides also had/have block brakes in the center of the track. The anti rollbacks (if you were riding it) would be first, this is the long thing with the flaps that stick out on the side, just like on the lift hill, and you would hit this BEFORE you crest the hill. As you crest the hill you will notice in the center of the track a shorter 'rail' in the center of the track with a rail on either side of it and (if you could look very quickly or just look at the same type of brake as you enter the transfer area) you will see underneath are two pneumatic cylinders which control the closing and opening of this....brake, and also, this is located on the track just after you crest the hill on the downward slope. I know what the anti rollbacks are and what they do and WHERE they are, these are not anti rollbacks, these are block brakes. On many of his rides he used both types of brakes. The brakes on the sides of the track can only be used on straight sections of track and grab the brake fins on the sides of the train which, if you notice that is the only place you will ever see them- straight sections of track. The center track/block brakes are unique in that they can be used on curved parts of the track, a hill, or a turn, etc. and stop the train by grabbing it from the bottom, there are small 'blocks' under it for this purpose (and I believe they are painted yellow). You can see all of this if you stand under the track where the train enters the brake run in the transfer area and you'll see, actually, BOTH types of brakes in action and the underside of the train and the blocks that the block brakes use. Watch any Revolution POV and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about in the center of the track. The Whizzer coasters use the same types of brakes on the sides and the center for blocking.

What I'll miss most about Log Jammer is the awesome head-chopper it created while riding Gold Rusher. It's something I didn't really think about initially ... but yeah, oh well.

I recall being at the park many years ago with a few people from Gooses site (in fact I think you may have been there) and one of the people in the group ended up hitting their hand on Log Jammer while riding Gold Rusher. If I remember they said their hand was numb for the rest of the afternoon.

Some pics from yesterday:

1.jpg.3028a3816f9dd43b09d6b282e9be05f7.jpg

Walls are up all around the Paintball/Arcade/Necessity Center

2.jpg.682b2eb74278cd7d5fd0ef6f5c76ee7f.jpg

3.jpg.515ece3458d2b854fb8bf56d7fe14367.jpg

All the Merchandise is gone

4.jpg.ddb297710983e019125d1cb410131c5a.jpg

I was shocked to see how much they've done on Log Jammer

5.jpg.86bf08208d13d602093b08df9d6a6f79.jpg

Pump house is still there. Hope this means the lake will return in some form.

6.jpg.1df5b6a3f63faa6ef8391ddd05131ddb.jpg

7.jpg.137c5f20c3dd346254645499fbb38c23.jpg

8.jpg.0fb389ff93978002496a2825f107c0c2.jpg

Sign is still there and it looks like they are saving the building (which is good IMO).

9.jpg.21f9fed0f3024f32c2d9061f67b15d01.jpg

Top portion is still there.

10.jpg.358849ac17582c4d8b89468e2a8a7d6e.jpg

First Drop

11.jpg.8db3647471eb14df487a609bfa2e5d6a.jpg

Bye Metro station.

Wow at the pictures(thanks Sir Clinksalot), makes you wonder what SFMM is up to?!?

Could this be really for the 2013 project? I dont think the Park has ever started this early for an attraction that is pretty much a year and a half away from opening. (Heck, they started work on this before even dealing with this years construction,lol)

This will deffinatly be fun to watch..

Anyone else think it would be funny if SFMM did the same thing CP did with Maverick where they got rid of the logflume, but kept the station and incorporated it into the new ride?

There is so much space around that whole area, they could really liven up that area with a new attraction.

There was a time in the past where not "everything" opened during the summer.

Goliath opened in February, X opened in January, Superman re-opened last March.

SFMM is a year-round park so it's quite possible they could open up something in early 2013. Heck, they could even do it late 2012. Open it up on "End of the World" day or something as well.

If they really do save the station, could the new ride be "pioneered/forest themed"? That's basically the theme for Log Jammer, so if the new attraction for 2013 really is a coaster, I would love to see how everything goes down and transforms.... I could be wrong though and they can tear down the building later on in the year

Now I have a question, will the Arcade/Paintball/Necessity Center be moved or will some of it be torn down? Tanks if anyone replies

Yes, but look what SFGAdv did with El Toro. It was Vipers station and that was a Western theme. When, they used the station for El Toro, it is now a Mexican bull riding theme. They could change the theme, but it's not guaranteed...

For Log Jammer Area: I'm thinking that since the other buildings in that area are still "wilderness" themed (Mooseburger, the theater) that it will remain that theme. Which again, is fine (IMO).

For LL:DOD: I'm thinking the buildings will probably stay? I'm going to guess that the Arcade/Paintball will be the queue building and the Necessity Center will be the exit gift shop?

Kind of like this. Red is the Queue/Green is the exit to the gift shop. There is going to be a dual loading station (obviously). I'm also thinking they are going to want it to be inside to cut down on the noise from S:EFK. It's loud right there.

I'm also interested to see if they are going to bring the "DC Universe" theme all the way out to where LL:DOD is. I mean, you could "technically" have the DC Universe start when you go under S:EFK and start at the end of the games.

LLDOD.jpg.2dcb921888b7644dc3e048247643bafa.jpg