TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Train 2 is in rehab? The park bought two new trains when the coaster was transformed into X2...I thought the third train was only being used as parts? Do they actually still run one of the old trains? I go to the park a lot, and have never seen it being used anymore...

Yes. Train 3 was in rehab through almost all of 2011, so they were running trains 1 and 2 until December. 2 clearly ran better during this time. But for some reason they took 2 off first for rehab and put 3 back. Now three and really smooth with loud audio and 1 is really rough with quiet audio. They need to take 1 off! But yes, train 3 hasn't been used for the last year or so until now.

X2 Still has audio? I thought The new CEO stopped the audio on all the Coasters? (Terminator, Bizarro, etc.)

Train 2 is in rehab? The park bought two new trains when the coaster was transformed into X2...I thought the third train was only being used as parts? Do they actually still run one of the old trains? I go to the park a lot, and have never seen it being used anymore...

Yes. Train 3 was in rehab through almost all of 2011, so they were running trains 1 and 2 until December. 2 clearly ran better during this time. But for some reason they took 2 off first for rehab and put 3 back. Now three and really smooth with loud audio and 1 is really rough with quiet audio. They need to take 1 off! But yes, train 3 hasn't been used for the last year or so until now.

X2 Still has audio? I thought The new CEO stopped the audio on all the Coasters? (Terminator, Bizarro, etc.)

When I rode last Monday there was audio so for the time being I guess it's still going.

^^I believe SFGADV's Bizarro still has audio. X2's audio is present, but just not always on. I believe train 1 has been lacking audio since spring, but 2 and 3 still have it. Apoc's removal was really more for licencing thing reasons than anything else.

Speaking of rehab, this is usually the time many rides go down to one train. (At least one already has). X2, despite a long rehab time, seems to always have at least two trains ready. What about Tatsu? I really hope that does not go down to one train again. 5 minute dispatches+2 minute ride time=7 minutes per train. Deja Vu's removal might give rehab crews more time to focus on more popular rides.

^ Bizarro at SFNE still has audio also!

7min per train?!? That line must take forever!

Besides Riddles & Tatsu, does any other coaster go down to one train?

In 2010, I remember when went that Viper was only running one train and when I got off I noticed they were trying to attach a second train to the track and it was taking FOREVER that guests were so frustrated about waiting that they left the line... and the employees were lazy about it too and they didn't care... I just stood there and said "Good Job SFMM for keeping satisfied guests!"

so who else got the email to take the planning survey? I noticed it only asked about roller coasters... any chance this could point to a new coaster for 2013? I hope I am in the majority in wanting a giga. I took the survey with that in mind so hopefully it helps?!?

Log Jammer will be replaced by a water ride, I'm almost certain about it. They would not take out a quality water ride which basically is the only good family ride & replace it with a huge roller coaster.

I could see the 2013/14 coaster being in the Deja Vu location as that whole area has a lot of space.

When Tatsu runs one train, a return-ticket system is used, with a time given for people to return to the ride. It is arranged so only about 250 people can be in the queue at once (about a 1 hour wait). However, that was when the dispatch times were about 4-5 minutes. Now, they can usually send trains out in around 3-4 minute intervals. While that is still pretty slow, it is much better than the old way.

Last year, pretty much every coaster except X2 went down to one train at one time or another. This year, they seem to better have their act together with ride rehabs, and Tatsu hasn't gone down to one train yet. Since Tatsu has three trains, it should ideally never have to run only one train. X2 has three trains, and each train takes longer to rehab than on Tatsu.

Their priorities should be X2, Tatsu, and Goliath. These rides all have three trains, and so far none of these have had to go down to one train. Hopefully, it can stay this way the whole season.

Log Jammer will be replaced by a water ride, I'm almost certain about it. They would not take out a quality water ride which basically is the only good family ride & replace it with a huge roller coaster.

I could see the 2013/14 coaster being in the Deja Vu location as that whole area has a lot of space.

As far as I'm concerned the employee lunch area will be put in Deja Vu's spot since it will get removed for construction of LL:DOD and also according to some previous posts... It would be disappointing to see LJ replaced with another water ride... most people are certain that a new coaster will take it's place anyhow...

Are you sure about this? They have taken out "quality family rides" before and in some cases not replaced it with anything.

When Tatsu runs one train, a return-ticket system is used, with a time given for people to return to the ride. It is arranged so only about 250 people can be in the queue at once (about a 1 hour wait). However, that was when the dispatch times were about 4-5 minutes. Now, they can usually send trains out in around 3-4 minute intervals. While that is still pretty slow, it is much better than the old way.

Last year, pretty much every coaster except X2 went down to one train at one time or another. This year, they seem to better have their act together with ride rehabs, and Tatsu hasn't gone down to one train yet. Since Tatsu has three trains, it should ideally never have to run only one train. X2 has three trains, and each train takes longer to rehab than on Tatsu.

Their priorities should be X2, Tatsu, and Goliath. These rides all have three trains, and so far none of these have had to go down to one train. Hopefully, it can stay this way the whole season.

There were a couple days last year when Tatsu was not stacking with two trains! The line moved so fast!

Tatsu, Scream, and Viper were down to 1 train back in December when I went, not to mention X2 being closed due to wind. It was an empty day, but the Tatsu line took about 45 min. still. Then I went on Jan. 2nd and all of these rides were running 2 trains. I remember the days when rides like Goliath and Tatsu ran with 3 trains. That was nice!

They need to take X2 train 1 off for rehab for a while, it is becoming unbearable.

Does anyone know which ride at SFMM has the greatest capacity?

Riddlers is really slow with one train too. It took 25 minutes to get through the switchbacks just outside of the station. I would say they were 5-6 min. dispatches.

Tatsu never consistently goes down to one train. Last season was just unfortunate that the train rehab schedule overlapped each other. That only happens every couple of years. It would be great to see this ride go up to three trains, dual station again.

Riddler's should technically never go down to one, but since the third train (rather, train #1) is in New Jersey, they have no choice.

Goliath only goes down to one train for the smallest amount of time because their rehabs are very quick. They sometimes run three trains over the peak summer days which is nice.

Apocalypse and Batman both only have two trains to begin with, so if one of the two go down for rehab we're screwed.

Gold Rusher, Colossus, and Revolution run one train so frequently its hard to tell what's down for rehab and which trains they consistently run.

Ninja's train one is permantly shut down -- they use that one for parts. Either train two or three has been cleaned up nicely, and hopefully the other one goes down for a makeover soon, but that would necessitate one train ops since train one is pretty much dead.

so who else got the email to take the planning survey? I noticed it only asked about roller coasters... any chance this could point to a new coaster for 2013? I hope I am in the majority in wanting a giga. I took the survey with that in mind so hopefully it helps?!?

I also got the survey... I can't ever remember another time when the park was interested in what kind of roller coaster their guests might be interested in. As soon as I saw that they had a "giga" coaster listed, I immediately thought of them battling Knotts for giga bragging rights in 2013 lol.

Obviously, I picked anything with airtime, and I hope others will follow suit!

As far as I'm concerned the employee lunch area will be put in Deja Vu's spot since it will get removed for construction of LL:DOD and also according to some previous posts.....

I would hope at least for myself that the employee lunch area isn't moved as far away as Deja Vu spot. Being that I'm now located out in the auto shop area heck even current location near Goliath is 12 min walk.

Its nice in current location with lots of seating and Tv's to perhaps watch weekend sports and just get away from the loud noises of the park itself even for 30 minutes but a move to Deja Vu area I will never see the inside of it.

Decent day at the park today! Photos will be up very soon (cell phone quality only though). Here's a quick overview: 1 train operation on X2! This isn't good... took an hour and I got in line at 5 PM. It was because of the valleying. The valleyed train was completely reassembled, but all the seats were still in the flipped position in the maintenance area. Tatsu-best operations in a LONG time. They were NOT stacking and there was a 1 train wait. Riddlers had a long line due to 1 train operation, so I opted for single rider. Superman was still running, but I didn't get a chance to ride it. Green Lantern was walk-on all day, and I was lucky enough to get stuck on it! The stabilizer wasn't stabilizing the car behind us. It continued to flip and flip them! The ride ops told the riders to kick to make the weight a little more balanced, but it was very funny. Scream was running one train, so there was a 10 min. wait, and Goliath was walk-on. It was a very dead day at the park, which you will see on my pictures coming VERY soon!