TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^I rode X2 twice on Wednesday. One train had some of the audio working, and one didn't. The one with audio was running amazing, but the one without was running very rough. Also, on the audio train, not all the speakers seemed to be working.

I have noticed the ride can tend to do that, though. Often, the ride has one good train and one bad train. It probably has to do with which one has come out of rehab sooner.

A couple more notes:

-Dispatches on Superman seemed quite consistant, but I never rode

-GL had no stopping on the MCBR

-Tatsu usually took about 3 minutes to dispatch. Only one station was running, though, despite a 2.5 hour wait

-The Apoc crew was rarely stacking (this was one of the last days they were running 2 trains). The ride literally felt like a 'pull down the lab bar and go' type of ride

-Log Jammer's station is still fully intact; the sign is even still up!

-(This may have been here before, but I never noticed it) Riddlers and Goliath seemed to have dispatch timers displayed in the station, 60 seconds for Goliath, and 90 seconds for Riddlers. The Goliath crew was almost always done on time, but the Riddlers crew usually took around 2 minutes. They really need to install these on all other rides. (Especially Tatsu)

-X2 had little stacking. I ended up in the middle of the switchbacks by the TV's, and it took 30 minute from when the line started moving. However, they were still cycling empty trains for 15 minutes after opening, so the line took 45 minutes.

-Riddlers, Batman, and Superman were all open, but not on the Flashpass

-Scream was running very rough, almost painful

-Deja Vu's queuing are is still up, but the ride is completely gone

-Log Jammer (the ride) is still up

Overall, I would say operations that day were the best they had been since [insert date here]

Images coming soon!

To AnonymousReed: Was the GL issue really that irritating? Maybe you just had bad luck, as that happened literally once out of the 35 times I rode it last week (and about 45 since its opening). I find it more of an "oh no, here we go again!" type of thing. From what I can tell, the mechanism works by pushing down on the wheels to flip you right-side-up, but if you're too far upside-down, it won't be able to do it, so one of the ops has to come over and push it the other direction.

^I rode X2 twice on Wednesday. One train had some of the audio working, and one didn't. The one with audio was running amazing, but the one without was running very rough. Also, on the audio train, not all the speakers seemed to be working.

I have noticed the ride can tend to do that, though. Often, the ride has one good train and one bad train. It probably has to do with which one has come out of rehab sooner.

A couple more notes:

-(This may have been here before, but I never noticed it) Riddlers and Goliath seemed to have dispatch timers displayed in the station, 60 seconds for Goliath, and 90 seconds for Riddlers. The Goliath crew was almost always done on time, but the Riddlers crew usually took around 2 minutes. They really need to install these on all other rides. (Especially Tatsu)!

I've only been on the "bad train" by your definition. I rarely ride X2 on any visit. I know, that leaves more room for you guys that love it. I've found it to be rough.

The Tatsu platform has a timer. You just must have missed it.

To AnonymousReed: Was the GL issue really that irritating? Maybe you just had bad luck, as that happened literally once out of the 35 times I rode it last week (and about 45 since its opening). I find it more of an "oh no, here we go again!" type of thing. From what I can tell, the mechanism works by pushing down on the wheels to flip you right-side-up, but if you're too far upside-down, it won't be able to do it, so one of the ops has to come over and push it the other direction.

It was VERY irritating. They kept having to call there mechanic to flip us about 3 times to fix the issue and it still didn't fix itself.

Oh and X2 did not have any effects on. Both trains were running without music and the ride op kept singing random songs while we were waiting in line to keep us somewhat entertained. It was only a 15 minute wait so we got on pretty quickly. X2 was running pretty smooth too.

I visited the park yesterday and it was realatively empty. We started off as being the first ones in the front gate and we went straight to X2. Empty trains cycled for 10 minutes or so before they let us ride. They have switched which trains they are using on it now. When I went in November, trains 1 and 2 were running. Now, trains 1 and 3 are on the track. Train 1 is really bumpy and hurts a LOT more than train 3. #1 had quiet music, but #3 was completely turned off. Everything else was running very quickly and had 2 trains except Riddler which was still on 1 train operation. GL was better than ever. It seemed to be flipping a lot more than on previous visits. But the longest like was for Superman, about 30 min. running both sides. Went back to X2 around 3:30 and the line was down to about 15 minutes from the 60 minutes it was in the morning. The stair side of the station wasn't being managed very well and every row was backed up to about 5 or 6 trains. It looked like the Tatsu station with all the lines backed up. But overall, very good day.

Oh yeah, a very creative Superman launch. The ride op sang Dynamite! And then shot us out after she sang "baby let's go!" It made me laugh the whole ride.

I visited the park yesterday and it was realatively empty. We started off as being the first ones in the front gate and we went straight to X2. Empty trains cycled for 10 minutes or so before they let us ride. They have switched which trains they are using on it now. When I went in November, trains 1 and 2 were running. Now, trains 1 and 3 are on the track. Train 1 is really bumpy and hurts a LOT more than train 3. #1 had quiet music, but #3 was completely turned off. Everything else was running very quickly and had 2 trains except Riddler which was still on 1 train operation. GL was better than ever. It seemed to be flipping a lot more than on previous visits. But the longest like was for Superman, about 30 min. running both sides. Went back to X2 around 3:30 and the line was down to about 15 minutes from the 60 minutes it was in the morning. The stair side of the station wasn't being managed very well and every row was backed up to about 5 or 6 trains. It looked like the Tatsu station with all the lines backed up. But overall, very good day.

Oh yeah, a very creative Superman launch. The ride op sang Dynamite! And then shot us out after she sang "baby let's go!" It made me laugh the whole ride.

Yesterday I had this Ride Op on X2 that kept singing LMFAO. And yes the crowds were pretty light yesterday.

^^GL's spinning depends on the weight balance of the car because of what I understand is the free axis nature of the ride. For example, if one side weighs 3 or 4 times more than the other side, you can expect it to spin more than if both sides weighed about the same.

^When I was there last week, one X2 ride op kept singing top 40 songs with X2 fit in somewhere. The best though was when at S:EFK instead of the 321 they went 54545 then hit the button.

^^GL's spinning depends on the weight balance of the car because of what I understand is the free axis nature of the ride. For example, if one side weighs 3 or 4 times more than the other side, you can expect it to spin more than if both sides weighed about the same.

^When I was there last week, one X2 ride op kept singing top 40 songs with X2 fit in somewhere. The best though was when at S:EFK instead of the 321 they went 54545 then hit the button.

Yes I know that. But overall every ride on it that I saw yesterday was a little more spinny than on past visits.

And on S:EFK, another time they went 3,2,1,-1,-2,-3 then pressed the button.

And they are still giving out the 2011 maps.

Yes I know that. But overall every ride on it that I saw yesterday was a little more spinny than on past visits.

Do you remember if the first trim brake before the first drop was on? I recall one particular ride in the morning when they were having some operational problems and had to close it for a while (after our ride) when the first trim brake didn't brake us and we zipped through the whole ride a lot faster.

wcb12_smaller.jpg

Hey everyone!

I'm happy to announce that morning ERT at Six Flags Magic Mountain during West Coast Bash will include at least the following coasters:

8:30am - 10:30am - Goliath, Colossus, Scream, Batman, and Green Lantern!

Please note rides for ERT are subject to change due to circumstances beyond our control.

Get your West Coast Bash Tickets NOW! This event WILL SELL OUT!

Purchase tickets: http://www.themeparkreview.com/store/index.php?categoryID=22

See you at West Coast Bash on Feb 18th & 19th, 2012!

--Robb Alvey

http://www.themeparkreview.com

Do you remember if the first trim brake before the first drop was on? I recall one particular ride in the morning when they were having some operational problems and had to close it for a while (after our ride) when the first trim brake didn't brake us and we zipped through the whole ride a lot faster.

The first trim brake was indeed on, but the brakes in the middle of the ride didn't bring it to a full stop like they have on some previous rides. They had mechanics working inside the main control panel on the far side of the ride. Not sure what they were doing, but the ride was still operating while they worked on the inside of the control panel.

Does anyone know how SFMM might look on the Martin Luther King holiday coming up? To anyone who's been there in the past, how were the crowds?

Saturday -- Crowded.

Sunday -- Unsure. Probably in between the levels of Sat and Mon.

Monday -- Should be pretty uncrowded (school & work next day!).

You can tackle Saturday no problem if you had a good ride plan.

Green Lantern ERT would be so perfect for me...both for the credit, and if it's any good...

Green Lantern has been hit and miss to the point that if there's any kind of wait I'll skip it. Don't get me wrong, when its good its good, but I have not had a good red on it in awhile. As if you'd miss a credit, good or bad.