TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

went to the park on x-mas eve...WALK ON on X@...literally....walked right into a almost completely empty station...3-4 other people...park was very very empty...best time to go on x-mas eve

Amazing! I'm definitely going to have to go one or twice this week while I'm still on Winter Break. Does anyone knows if the park even makes money on these types of days? I'm sure this has been discussed before in the past...

It makes more money than it would if it had been closed...

I'm not sure how much work would Have to go into Drop of Doom, as the structure is already there. I would just imagine the wiring and programming and the actual fitting of the towers, etc. Since most people who follow this hobby are infatuated with coasters, it's not as known how long construction takes on a drop tower...

I'm not sure how much work would Have to go into Drop of Doom, as the structure is already there. I would just imagine the wiring and programming and the actual fitting of the towers, etc. Since most people who follow this hobby are infatuated with coasters, it's not as known how long construction takes on a drop tower...

I'm very intrigued as to what they'll do, considering the existing structure doesn't seem to be perfectly vertical.

went to the park on x-mas eve...WALK ON on X@...literally....walked right into a almost completely empty station...3-4 other people...park was very very empty...best time to go on x-mas eve

Amazing! I'm definitely going to have to go one or twice this week while I'm still on Winter Break. Does anyone knows if the park even makes money on these types of days? I'm sure this has been discussed before in the past...

It makes more money than it would if it had been closed...

I was thinking it costs a decent amount to stay open... Salary and the costs to keep the rides open (ex. electricity, fire on X2 if necessary).

^True, but all things like that are offset by payment upon parking, and gate admission-which usually tend to be the biggest "break-evens" for amusement parks. Most parks develop a formula to determine the park's per capita vs.operating expenses and when (and when not ) to close a park down due to low attendance numbers. So trust me. If a park stayed open on a "low attendance" day, more often than not, it at the very least broke even.

We went on the 30th (or something) last year, and the park was DEAD. We'll be heading up there one day next week, not sure what day yet.

Not planning on getting our SP's until WCB most likely. Need a break from the place.

Awesome! Thanks Sir Clinksalot. Definitely looking forward to getting on X2 more than twice in a visit. I thought it might be busy cause they are open a full 10am-8pm all next week as in they are anticipating large crowds. Evidently not!

Anybody have cheap places to stay nearby?

If you know how to use Priceline the Hyatt Valencia comes up with winning bids between $45-$60 and the hotel straight up books around $140 ... look at biddingfortravel .com for strategies on bidding ... And the Hyatt is in a great location but I think it dosent offer shuttle to SFMM... ............. Here is a example of someones winning bid. Hope you understand it as I do but I sure wont explain it at this time unless we are face to face as hard at times to explain re-bids.......................

Bid one day before arrival using the biddingfortravel Priceline hotel link. Used several free rebids. A $60 counteroffer was provided on a $42 bid; declined and continued up. Eventually $52 failed and $54 was successful to get this. Published rate was $139 for that night. One night (a Thursday night), one room, total $68.55 with taxes and fees

Thank you for the info! I never tried the negotiator, just saw a million commercials. I ended up getting the Marriot Fairfield Inn Santa Clarita which looks okay for $57. Definitely looking forward to a dead day at the park tomorrow! It would be a first for me, every time I've gone its been a race to X2 when the gate opens!

Went to the park for a bit this morning.

It wasn't "Packed" but was surely more crowded than this time last year. Not sure if it's due to Xmas and New Years falling on a weekend or what.

It was probably as busy as a fall Saturday.

What I've experienced the past couple years: The week before Christmas is dead, and in between Christmas and New Years it's "relatively" crowded, like you said a fall Saturday or summer midweek day.

Last year I remember it being really bad between Christmas and New Years the days they were open because of the storms that closed the park for a couple consecutive days. I assume everyone must have pushed back their trips. Then the park decided it would be pretty neat to run one train on over half their rides on top of the normal off season closures and shorter hours.

I haven't been this year, but it looks like they extended their hours for this week and hopefully are running two trains where they can.

^I wouldn't expect the park to be too popular, as with Christmas finally over most people probably wouldn't be very eager to spend another $50-$60 per person just to get into the park. But with it being the last week of winter break for most schools, I wouldn't expect the park to be completely dead, even on a Monday.

I'm very intrigued as to what they'll do, considering the existing structure doesn't seem to be perfectly vertical.

I'm also quite curious to see what they'll do. Obviously it can be done, otherwise they wouldn't use the existing structure, but nonetheless, it'll be interesting. Besides, didn't it take the various Windseekers three or four months to go up (including the pouring of its footer/foundation)? I can't imagine it takes long for any tower ride to go up, and given that most of the existing structure LL: DoD will use is already up and requires relatively minimal changes, it would probably take less then half that time to set up.

I was at the Mountain today. It was very busy... The old Deja Vu area looks naked. There were 2 guys picking up bits and pieces off the ground this morning. I observed this while riding "Pocky."

I was able to process my 2012 pass later in the day. There was virtually no line. At the start of the day it was out the door. I hope Friday won't be so busy.

I'm curious to know what the park has planned for tonight? same deal as last year? It's been about two years since I've been to the park on New Years Eve and hope that what little they do is steadily growing.

Nothing is happening tonight In fact the park is closing at 6PM. I'm heading to Knotts for New Years Eve.

^Vu is already gone, but the queuing area appears fully intact, as seen from Apoc. Log Jammer's station is still fully intact as well (the sign is even still up). Have they even started taking it out? The ride's track looks like its still there

Before I say anything..my Nikon was acting up and was not functioning properly( It even deleted everything on my SD card ). So I apologize about the pictures that I took with my Droid X.

Ok so the crowds were rather light today...I got on everything except Scream(Brokedown). The Deja Vu area wasn't picture worthy..looked pretty much the same, no noticeable changes. Apocalypse was only running 1 train and had the longest wait in the park, which was only 30 min. I kept yelling "Take the Tunnel" but it isn't the same anymore. Oh yes and almost every TV in the park was showing the Rose Bowl game.

DC Universe still looks nice and there isn't any noticeable graffiti or trash laying around. The only thing I noticed that bothered me was this:

390165_338635716164108_100000530488543_1281946_863314477_n.jpg.6d7840bf2e39451b092dc8262c972e07.jpg

A crap load of leaves in "Clark Kent's Changing Booth".

Another thing that bothered me in the are was Green Lantern's "issue". When you get in the station, there is a mechanism that pulls you up so you're not belly down when you get in the station. INSTEAD of it doing that, it came in the station, DID what it was supposed to do, then went belly first again about 3 times until we got in the unloading zone. It was very irritating.

Ok so I checked out the Lex Luthor area...not even a pebble has moved.

The Log Jammer area has been drained, even the lake.

332832_338636119497401_100000530488543_1281948_535853747_o.thumb.jpg.009dfe6da57de366e744deeb11a7b0f8.jpg

I did see this nifty sign they put out front:

341113_338635942830752_100000530488543_1281947_844157858_o.thumb.jpg.887c83aa899da8d5f4e5cb5959c81bb1.jpg

Please Excuse..my friends.

The Buccaneer was open. Looked amazing with it's paint job. I would have a picture but it was too dark out. Sorry bout that.

Here are some random photos:

416045_338636559497357_100000530488543_1281951_948299792_o.thumb.jpg.a3aba89ff921218af892bbdde9d75c57.jpg

340626_338636342830712_100000530488543_1281950_1323757208_o.thumb.jpg.933e8afdb96bfdf1e26d09009707905e.jpg

331120_338636696164010_100000530488543_1281952_1107306306_o.thumb.jpg.5ed583aa3882d8895714e42b785a0f8c.jpg

Sorry about this photo..

Have a nice day people.