TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^Was at SFMM last Sunday, and it was dead empty. Tatsu had a 10 to 20 minute wait all day, and by 4:00 Tatsu was walk on, and the only wait for X2 was after the line splits, which topped 10 minutes max.

Head to Green Lantern for the first ride of the day, and you will get multiple rides without leaving the station with one car wait max.

Superman was the only significant line at 20 minutes. Horrible operations. And the a/c is turned off because it was so cold, so the tunnel smelled revolting.

Marathoned Apocalypse seven times until the park closed. Never had to leave the station. Wasn't feeling too hot afterwards...

Now that Log Jammer is being removed, I have a sneaky suspicion that Viper is going to be "next" on death row.

I'd not bet a nickel on that- at all. Viper's reliable, paid for, thrilling, and eats crowds up like they're free. It's also a visual statement for the park, and the site isn't that ride-friendly as it used to be with X2 blockading in one side.

You'd have a better shot at saying Batman would be the next out (Ducks from the tomatoes...)

It doesn't make sense to remove Ninja. I see it as a nice ride for younger people who want something a little but more intense. From My point of view, getting rid of Ninja would be a bad move because it was the fastest in it's class of coasters, and it would mean getting rid of what little is left of Arrow Dynamics. For those of you who find it boring. Keep in mind that intense thrill-seekers and kiddie ride lovers aren't the only demographics out there. Think about the people in between.

Here's my opinion on SFMM's next coaster removal: The park won't remove a coaster unless they have to, but if they do it will be either Viper or Batman.

Why those two? Both of those are older coasters that are not too popular anymore. Even on crowded days, 30 minute lines are rare if the coasters are being run decently (other than the first three hours of the day, I've never seen longer than a 10 minute wait for Viper). Plus, both of these rides would clear up a decent amount of space that could be used for a replacement attraction, and Batman would be an easy ride to relocate to another Six Flags park (likely replacing an SLC). A case could be made for Scream, but my thinking is that it is still too new to remove (give it five years and it might be a candidate as well). The two other coasters I most frequently hear in this discussion (Ninja and Gold Rusher) are both unlikely because they are family rides that the park needs. Besides, in Ninja's case, Jetstream would have to go too or there wouldn't be that much room for a new coaster, and the park needs at least three water rides with the temperatures it gets during the summer (they currently have three), and Gold Rusher wouldn't clear up as much room as people might think (especially if the Log Jammer replacement is a large coaster).

Here's my opinion on SFMM's next coaster removal: The park won't remove a coaster unless they have to, but if they do it will be either Viper or Batman.

Why those two? Both of those are older coasters that are not too popular anymore. Even on crowded days, 30 minute lines are rare if the coasters are being run decently (other than the first three hours of the day, I've never seen longer than a 10 minute wait for Viper). Plus, both of these rides would clear up a decent amount of space that could be used for a replacement attraction, and Batman would be an easy ride to relocate to another Six Flags park (likely replacing an SLC). A case could be made for Scream, but my thinking is that it is still too new to remove (give it five years and it might be a candidate as well). The two other coasters I most frequently hear in this discussion (Ninja and Gold Rusher) are both unlikely because they are family rides that the park needs. Besides, in Ninja's case, Jetstream would have to go too or there wouldn't be that much room for a new coaster, and the park needs at least three water rides with the temperatures it gets during the summer (they currently have three), and Gold Rusher wouldn't clear up as much room as people might think (especially if the Log Jammer replacement is a large coaster).

I don't know why everybody thinks there is never any room for another coaster. If an entire coaster is removed, I think it's safe to say another coaster can be put in it's place. If Ninja were to be removed, another coaster could be engineered to interact with Jet Stream just as easily as Ninja did. Look at Gröna Lund, Blackpool, and Hersheypark.

How'd this removal topic even start?

SFMM already removed a couple flats, Deja Vu, now Log Jammer. Psyclone and Flashback not too long ago. I wouldn't even think they would remove anything else for a while now. They have so much room to build new things at the moment. Unless something became more costly to run than its worth (like I heard Log Jammer was & basically everything they've removed so far) I don't think they would remove anything for a while. All the coasters & rides currently there seem in good shape & have a purpose. Colossus & Revolution still seem to have a couple years to last, & I feel like they would give them a nice rehab/redo since they are a special part of the park instead of removing. Ninja & Goldrusher seems in good shape & provide like others have said some of the few family coasters.

I'm not sure so I could be wrong, but don't Batman & Viper hardly have super long lines due to them having high capacity. Their lines always move so fast. I think them being old doesn't have much to do with it, Batman at least still packs a punch & people love it from what I heard. Viper maybe not so much popular but it still seems to be in great shape & take in a lot of people. But like I've said, there's so much room to grow & everything seems to be in good shape for the next couple years, I would be thinking what would they be adding instead of removing at the moment.

^ Viper always seems to have large lines in the morning and then they will tend to die off towards the afternoon after majority of the park has been on it. At least that has always been my experience on recent visits.

Tidal Wave's removal rumor pops up every now and again. With it gone, they cut the water costs again, and have more than enough space for another coaster. The parks are looking at the operating costs of every ride at this point in order to make up for attendance decreases.