TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^^^ If Colossus were to get a full blown NTAG treatment, it could take a year like NTAG did so most of the work could be done in 2013, but it wouldn't open until 2014 leaving time for something to open in Log Jammer's spot for 2013. Besides, rides can close without having something replacing them immediately. Splash Water Falls at Great America close in 2007 and it's just getting replaced in 2012. Rides close and leave for all sorts of reasons, it's not always that they need the land for something else. How long as Metro been sitting unused and unreplaced now?

If Colossus were to get a full blown NTAG treatment, it could take a year like NTAG did so most of the work could be done in 2013, but it wouldn't open until 2014 leaving time for something to open in Log Jammer's spot for 2013. Besides, rides can close without having something replacing them immediately. Splash Water Falls at Great America close in 2007 and it's just getting replaced in 2012. Rides close and leave for all sorts of reasons, it's not always that they need the land for something else. How long as Metro been sitting unused and unreplaced now?

They can start doing the rehab sooner.The SEFK rehab began in late October 2010 so why couldn't SFMM start the rehab in late 2012 and open The new Colossus in 2013!

Edited by TJ27

^I agree with your X2 statement 100%. I was cocky the last time I rode and thought "Oh, my phone will be ok. I'm sitting so it won't be an issue"......wrong! Get back to the station and it was hanging on by a thread.

Haha, yeah, I know exactly what you mean, I took that risk and lost my phone on Tatsu one time. After that, I'd advise ANYONE who gets on X2 or Tatsu to fork over the money and invest the $2 to lock up your stuff when riding. It will save you from having to stress about it while riding, and will save yourself the headache of losing your phone or other items in your pocket. You don't think they could find a way out, but they will!

I would be absolutely thrilled if Colossus got the Rocky Mountain treatment.

In an LA Times article about the most anticipated rides for 2013 it says that Log Jammer is opening up 6 acres of land, my question is doesn't I305 occupy 5 acres I could swore I read that some where. If this is true then SFMM can build something as large as I305 or larger then I305 in Log Jammers area.

About the Colossus Ntag treatment, do you guys think it will just be a complete re-tracking with the steel beam track or a complete remodel like Ntag? Do you think they could raise the height of the first drop and put in some racing overbanked turns and stuff like that?

I wondering is 2013 going to be another 3 attraction year for the mountain, A new coaster, Colossus Ntag treament and something else maybe another coaster, water ride, or flat ride.

^^^ yep pretty sure X2 ate my spare set of glasses last Friday (despite being in a buttoned cargo pocket). I didn't notice they were gone until later on when I was just about to board Tatsu. (Its possible I lost them on that Roadrunner ride which I got in between X2 and Tatsu, but I doubt it). RIP glasses.

Copying part of my old post over now that it's relevant.

Now as far as 2013, I'm still hoping that Colossus' 35th anniversary comes into play and that it gets made over into a racing out-and-back version of New Texas Giant (I'm imagining the same footprint with a layout more inspired by the original design, but with NTAG's/Balder's drops, and something more interesting during the turn arounds). That would probably also upset some people, but it would kill a few birds with one stone, giving them the west coast airtime crown, another revitalized attraction (which seems to be a trend), and a "new" coaster visually on par with X2 and Goliath. However, the amount of otherwise (somewhat) unnecessary rip-out this year makes this seem unlikely, unless if they were planning on that *and* a family attraction in 2013, or if they were just going for another big attraction year, with it *and* something major in Deja Vu's or Log Jammer's spots, either of which could be used for nearly anything. For now I'm going to assume it's wishful thinking, since they've already announced a forthcoming announcement for Log Jammer's spot (which could in itself be amazing, given the terrain, water, and lots of surrounding real estate on the mountain), but the very positive comments regarding NTAG at WCB this year still give me hope.

Anyways, given TPR's report from IAAPA and previous comments from Six Flags regarding Colossus at SFMM and Rattler at SFFT (plus the notebook sketch in this article), I think we have almost a lock as to where Rocky Mountain's work will be in 2013. And given the success experienced by SFOT with NTAG, I doubt either park would go only halfway and get just topper track vice a full remodel, especially given the lack of marketability available to an old ride that's now simply smoother (plus, Colossus isn't exactly a major offender for roughness, it's just a little dull). Since they've already said something is coming to Log Jammer's spot, I'm guessing 2013 will be a repeat of this year, with a new attraction there and a updated attraction with Colossus. And you have to give it to Six Flags, their recent trend of refreshing old attractions has been quite successful (expect perhaps with the Bizarro twins), so it makes sense that they'd continue in that direction.

Or maybe I'm hoping for too much and Colossus will just be getting new trains and topper track.

My thing is, TX Giant is not Colossus. Colossus is going to be 30 years old and is considered by many to be a classic coaster. It's been featured on film, TV, etc. People recognize it.

TX Giant was only 19 years when it closed to become NTAG.

I just don't think you could totally re-do Colossus like they did with NTAG. I think people would be happy if any retrofit to Colossus brought back the original layout (with the double dip), etc. I know I'd be absolutely thrilled if this happened.

^ Agreed. It's a classic coaster with a classic layout that still has some kick left in it. I can see the layout unchanged, but the profile updated and restored; steeper lift, taller first drop, banked turns, and maybe a mid-race crossover for good measure. I'd be very pleased. And for the love of all things holy, get rid of that damn midcourse.

I see there being the following options for Colossus if Rocky Mountain works on it:

A - Topper track and new trains, current layout

B - Topper track and new trains, original layout

C - NTAG treatment, original layout

D - NTAG treatment, similar to original layout

E - NTAG treatment, all-new layout

F - Some combination of the above, with one side one way and one side another.

My preference would be D or E on both sides, or F with D or E on one side (New Colossus) and B or C on the other side (for Classic Colossus). To me the biggest loss with rehabbing it is that they might not be able to run one side backwards at Halloween if they make it too forceful, but keeping one side close to the original could fix that. Otherwise, I'd prefer they take it to it's fullest potential, which if it's anything like NTAG, would easily make it one of the top coasters in California. As is, it's a pretty good ride, but nowhere near how it should be.

I think that Texas Giant and Colossus are two completely different rides - one is more of a classic, and one was always marketed as being a wild ride. So it makes sense that Texas Giant got a full-blown remodel, because it has that expectation to live up to. But for Colossus, I think it would make a lot more sense to give it a full makeover, but not to totally re-imagine it. Give it the steeper drops, more airtime hills, and some cool banked turns and the like, but not giant 120* overbanks and such - that way you can reinvent it, but keep what makes it Colossus intact.

If a Colossus remodel is on the horizon, I'd just be happy if it was retro-fitted into an airtime monster. If it's 1 thing that SFMM lacks, its a coaster that is airtime focused. Yes, Goliath is a hyper, but in terms of airtime, it pretty much fails with only 1 decent moment. In fact, the west coast in general just lacks a decent airtime machine.

To me a Colossus remodel would be fantastic and if it does go down the NTAG path, then it would for sure breathe some life into that otherwise "dead zone" of the park.

With Deja Vu and Log Jammer opening up some decent patches of space and aging rides in need of a makeover/remodel/upgrade, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Because it is a racer with a pretty massive structure, I find it hard to believe it would get any kind of NTAG treatment. To me it would be almost impossible to "remodel" it with all the wood it has in now. See below........dense wood, would almost have to tear down and start over eliminating any and all thoughts of Colossus anyway???? Just my thoughts, I am no engineer.....

colossus.jpg.233474b5b3c72008dc7b047df116ea48.jpg

1146200259_colossus2.jpg.cd12709b7553a61703964c4a5963c08a.jpg

Courtesy Ric Turner/RCDB