TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^This is true. Water pumps are huge energy hogs. During the summers a few years back when the power grids were under tremendous stress, SoCal Edison would ask KBF to conserve electricity. Perilous Plunge and Bigfoot Rapids were first to be shut down.

Can't say I'm sad Log Jammer is gone as I never rode it anyways. Sorry fanboys.

Re: the giga rumor. If they combine the area of Flashback's grave, the old monorail station, Palace games, and log jammer's section of the hill, easily enough space for a larger coaster. My personal preference would be a coaster with some decent air time. My roller tycoon side would lean towards them doing them someting like Cheetah Hunt, a 4D theater, and something like Pharaoh's Revenge for the family kid demo.

Edited by DBJ

SFMM has attempted to make it a family friendly park. Bugs Bunny World is extremely old and dated. Whistlestop Depot (Biggest Mistake Magic Mountain ever made) is a HUGE waste of space. The 2 rides in the land are rarely open because nobody every goes on the rides in the land. I wish they put some sort of 3-D theater there or a Family Intamin that went in both where Whistlestop Depot is and Pistachio Park is. And then they could move the Magic Flyer somewhere else...or sell for scrap.

Another thing with Log Jammer is the amount of payroll the ride took. 2 in station, 1 at 2nd lift, 1 at each drop. Plus another to run around so they can take breaks, and sometimes maintenance to get the water out of them boats. Took more people to run Log Jammer than it does to run: Tatsu one station, Goliath, Superman, Scream, Viper and many others.

Lower ridership, and more payroll.

Was Tatsu really built on top of the land? It seems like the ride is working with the land. Build the thing on the highest part of the park so you really feel like you are flying. Along with where certain parts of the ride are located, it seems like a good fit.

You can also survey with a ride there or not. Just close the ride when surveying needs to take place. I guess because I have my own company doing Civil Engineering (land development), I am a little more partial to what can and can't be done, especially by recent Structural Code changes and other California standards.

Not only does not having Log Jammer open for the 2012 season save $$ ... but it also let's workers get into the area and survey the land for the coming attraction(s). Hopefully this means they are going to actually design a ride that fits the landscape and build "around" the land instead of building "on top" of the land like they did with Tatsu.

Considering Log Jammer closed rather suddenly I'm going to assume they already either know or have a good idea what is going in that area.

Wonder if I can get my hat that I lost on the ride on it's last day back when we go on Friday.

Was Tatsu really built on top of the land? It seems like the ride is working with the land. Build the thing on the highest part of the park so you really feel like you are flying. Along with where certain parts of the ride are located, it seems like a good fit.

It is a good fit and it does work with the land, people just like to repeat the same lies over and over. I think there's even in this thread like a chart or something that shows if Tatsu was not on the side of the mountain and was put on flat ground, because of the huge pretzel loop and change in elevation, the station would have to be something like 100 feet off the ground, which isn't realistic at all. Plus I like being high up in the air, "flying" like you're supposed to be, and there are certain moments where you're certainly facing close to the ground as well.

Hey everyone!

West Coast Bash 2012 will be on....

Saturday, February 18th - Six Flags Magic Mountain

Sunday, February 19th - Knott's Berry Farm

MARK YOUR CALENDARS NOW!!!

Keep in mind that this is also "Presidents Day Weekend", so many of you may have Monday off work or school! This could make for a great "weekend getaway!"

Make your plans now! And if you need any more help from us, please ask!

Details about the event will be released soon, but you can be sure it will be filled with Exclusive Ride Time, Backstage Tours, Great Food, and Good Times!

You will not want to miss this event! See you at WCB 2012!

Thanks for the early "heads up" on this event. I'll put in for my vacation time and head to the west coast.

Looking at a satellite image, it looks like there's plenty of room for a decent-sized coaster, a new-gen Intamin shoot the chutes (or toss a splash battle in there) around the Log Jammer/Flashback spot.

Stick a Windseeker/Star Flyer tower around Deja Vu's former spot.

Two nice family rides and a coaster for the price of one old water ride.

My point about Tatsu is this ... and that diagram actually helps support my argument:

Pretty much the only part that goes below the station is the Pretzel Loop. Everything else is built ON TOP of the hill.

You can't tell me they couldn't build Tatsu on a flat piece of ground and have the pretzel loop go under ground (how awesome would that be!?).

If you look at Revolution, Gold Rusher, Log Jammer, Jet Stream ... even Ninja, they all use the terrain to their advantage. IMO, Tatsu would have been a much better ride had they done the same thing.

Sure, you can't constantly hug the terrain, there are parts of revolution and Ninja that don't, but the fact is, Tatsu doesn't utilize any of the natural resources that it could have to make it (IMO) a more amazing ride.

I just hope they use the terrain more with whatever is going in Log Jammers spot.

^I disagree. I think the major selling point of Tatsu is not use of the park's terrain, but the amazing views you get from the top of mountain. It's an element that, say, the Superman: Ultimate Flight clones don't have. I think Tatsu would be just another flyer without those views.

Edited by cfc

I really loved flying above the mountain on Tatsu - definitely an experience none of the other flyers even come close to offering. From off-ride, it really does dominate the mountain a little heavily, but oh well. I would've loved to see a giant swoop down at the end after the pretzel loop, but beggars can't be choosers!

I agree with Sir Chinksalot. The 170ft lift is misleading. The height is measured from the apex of the lift to the bottom of the midway in Rapids Camp crossing, not the apex of the lift from the station, which is in reality only 115ft. with the 124ft pretzel loop, as Sir Chinksalot has mentioned, is the only point of the ride that deviates from the rest of the ride circuit.

Not trying to beat a dead horse (unnecessarily mind you) But Tatsu's elevation change (and the numbers being off) has always irked me.

But I digress,

I would really like to see the land between X and Viper developed into something more than just tumbleweeds and air. The park owns enough of the land back there to extend a circuit all the way back to Cyclone Bay. If a Giga or Mega Lite is in the works, I'd much rather see an out-and-back type ride in that land rather than the condensed space Log Jammer's spot would offer