TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^ That's an insult to such a plot of land.

I love The Huss Giant frisbees.

Also, could someone tell me exactly where the Oasis employee dining building is? Next to Food Etc. or by the paintball?

I would love a Giga here. We NEED airtime, but I'm curious to see how/if they'd integrate the coaster into the forested area around Log Jammer.

^Really? The only water ride that gets long lines is Roaring Rapids, but even this can have short waits if you ride it early. I have never seen Jet Stream have more than a 15 minute wait, even on extremely crowded days. I never rode Log Jammer, (and I guess I never will), but I can imagine waits were as short as Jet Stream. Besides, if you want to go on some water rides, there is this place called 'Hurricane Harbor'. It's about 250 miles away, but the extra drive is worth it if you're in to water parks.

So, as much as many people would like it SFMM is not going to get another water ride; the Aquatrax they are building will have a small river section prior to launch, but no splash.

Oh, and if you are one of those people complaining about Log Jammer's removal, see the last sentance of the first paragraph.

Well, after not even looking at this thread for over two months (87+ pages), I haven't missed much.

My recap for the last 9 weeks:

Some dumb bimbo leaves her dog in the car, SFMM saves it, then looses it (Hi Elissa!! Miss you!!) and now she has it back. BFD.

Deja' Vu is on its way to the east coast. Rode 17x media day, maybe 5x since - good riddance. Bob suggested a mouse - that was funny! Mega-Lite? I still contend that you'll never see one in the states. Big-azz hyper? Maybe. I still think that it will be something new by B&M, a boomerang that works!

Some kid gets offended by a scaractor at FF, and people go ballistic. He's probably heard worse insults in the halls of his school. (For the record, if you couldn't handle that - STAY AWAY from the "Chucky" maze at HHN in Orlando. You'll just end up in psychiatric care)

Rumors are still rampant and stupid.

I wish I had the same engineering degree that everyone else has, so I can join the discussion on the pros and cons of putting the Lex Luthor ride on the sides of Superman.

Someone still wants the monorail to ride again. Not gonna happen.

A few people noticed that there's a parking lot under a few coasters. Aren't you glad they don't let you park there?

Some people think that "Speed: The Ride" would be a good fit for SFMM. I kind of agree, especially if they were to use the existing monorail station as the launch point (shooting out to either the front OR rear of the park). But, it won't happen either.

Log Jammer has given its final rides. Whoop-te-do. Rode it when I was 9. Moved on. So should you. They will build something that will be much more appealing, and make you pretty much forget that LJ was even there. And yes, a terrain-hugging Aquatrax does make the most sense, barring the removal of the lake. NOT a dumb-azz dive machine. (saying that, it probably will be a DM)

Yeah. I didn't miss much.

I hope Intamin announce that they have destroyed everything related to an aquatrax, go to Japan and rip that one out too and destroy it, then hypnotize every coaster enthusiast and wipe it from their brains then it would be like it never existed and I'd never have to hear about an Aquatrax ever again

Far as 1-10 excitement level, I'd be off the charts with 100 I be so happy if this Giga rumor is true.

The Giant Frisbee wouldn't be an insult if they didn't plop it right in the middle of the area, the area is big enough for more then just a Giant Frisbee. Thinking about it forget HUSS, How bout we keep Intamin in the park for a while they offer a Giant Gyro Swing that's said to be better then the HUSS model or so I've heard. Couldn't you see a Intamin Gyro Swing sitting next to an Intamin Blitz coaster using up Deja Vu's and Mr. Six old spot, I know I can

^Really? The only water ride that gets long lines is Roaring Rapids, but even this can have short waits if you ride it early. I have never seen Jet Stream have more than a 15 minute wait, even on extremely crowded days. I never rode Log Jammer, (and I guess I never will), but I can imagine waits were as short as Jet Stream.

Log Jammer was much more popular than Jetstream, at least during the summer. I rarely saw it with less than a half-hour wait for a good part of the day, and on those same days Jetstream would be about five minutes. I think it is probably due to Log Jammer being really close to the kiddie area while Jetstream is on the other side of the park, as there were quite a few families in line for Log Jammer.

As for a replacement ride, I am very hesitant to believe the Giga Coaster rumor. The ride does not free up nearly enough space for a giga, and I don't think that is what SFMM really needs right now. They have plenty of large coasters, and a giga would be really expensive and kill the popularity of some of the other coasters (mainly Goliath). Until something is announced, I stand by my original idea: An Intamin launched coaster similar to Cheetah Hunt that utilizes the natural terrain and the Metro tunnel.

For Deja Vu's area, I think it will either be a mid-size coaster (Eurofighter or similar size) with a couple flats or a large coaster (Diving Machine, Mega-Lite, Wing Coaster, or something similar in size), but I'm guessing that may not be until 2014/2015 (I can't see SFMM installing two big coasters in one year).

^Really? The only water ride that gets long lines is Roaring Rapids, but even this can have short waits if you ride it early. I have never seen Jet Stream have more than a 15 minute wait, even on extremely crowded days. I never rode Log Jammer, (and I guess I never will), but I can imagine waits were as short as Jet Stream.

Log Jammer was much more popular than Jetstream, at least during the summer. I rarely saw it with less than a half-hour wait for a good part of the day, and on those same days Jetstream would be about five minutes. I think it is probably due to Log Jammer being really close to the kiddie area while Jetstream is on the other side of the park, as there were quite a few families in line for Log Jammer.

As for a replacement ride, I am very hesitant to believe the Giga Coaster rumor. The ride does not free up nearly enough space for a giga, and I don't think that is what SFMM really needs right now. They have plenty of large coasters, and a giga would be really expensive and kill the popularity of some of the other coasters (mainly Goliath). Until something is announced, I stand by my original idea: An Intamin launched coaster similar to Cheetah Hunt that utilizes the natural terrain and the Metro tunnel.

For Deja Vu's area, I think it will either be a mid-size coaster (Eurofighter or similar size) with a couple flats or a large coaster (Diving Machine, Mega-Lite, Wing Coaster, or something similar in size), but I'm guessing that may not be until 2014/2015 (I can't see SFMM installing two big coasters in one year).

actually there is PLENTY of room for a giga... and would be something they need. there is enough room there for a very large coaster, let alone 2 medium one's

I hope Intamin announce that they have destroyed everything related to an aquatrax, go to Japan and rip that one out too and destroy it, then hypnotize every coaster enthusiast and wipe it from their brains then it would be like it never existed and I'd never have to hear about an Aquatrax ever again

*South Korea

^And a giga wouldn't even be limited to that area either. It could easily have the lift, drop, more drops, some TWISTEEES,a transition hill over Superman, have some fun around Goldrusher's entrance, return with a final sexy turn, then end. With an Intamin Giga, they can go all over the place.

Let me guess. The Coaster Guy heard it from the (bankrupt) Dippin Dots guy. Wish he'd get his rumors straight.

Can any of the park-wise opine on the wisdom of the park's 2012 plans in context of the massive developments at DCA and Universal? Knotts is standing pat (as of this point). Although the world's tallest drop ride gives the Mt a heck of a sexy marketing hook.

If you can't compete in dollar terms and PR splash, is it better to wait out the year and then strike hard in 2013 when the bigger-name competition has little going on? Or does it even matter because the markets are so different? People complain about the lack of family rides, but is it any wonder why Magic Mt focuses on the thrill sector they dominate?

If the Giga coaster rumor is real, is anyone else thinking that Magic Mountain is growing too fast too soon. Between Apocalypse, Road Runner Express, Lex Luthor and now this rumor, that is a total of three roller coasters and three major thrill rides. It seems like a lot within a couple of years like it was in the early 2000's.

As for a replacement ride, I am very hesitant to believe the Giga Coaster rumor. The ride does not free up nearly enough space for a giga, and I don't think that is what SFMM really needs right now.

actually there is PLENTY of room for a giga... and would be something they need. there is enough room there for a very large coaster, let alone 2 medium one's

Yes, there is enough room at the park for a Giga, but not there. As seen in this really quick picture I made using Bing maps, if you were to place I305 right on top of Log Jammer, the ride would extend from Tatsu's train storage area to almost the end of Superman's launch track, and it would cover pretty much the entire hill.

621660897_GigaExample.jpg.678c3fdd5ef2814ffe68292bf18de7a3.jpg

Yes, you could install a custom giga over the mountain, but even with a unique layout it will still be massive and dominate the hill completely. I think some people are thinking Log Jammer will free up more space than it actually will. Realistically, anything too large, even something Tatsu's size, would probably require taking over the entire hill, and not just the area where Log Jammer stood.

If the Giga coaster rumor is real, is anyone else thinking that Magic Mountain is growing too fast too soon. Between Apocalypse, Road Runner Express, Lex Luthor and now this rumor, that is a total of three roller coasters and three major thrill rides. It seems like a lot within a couple of years like it was in the early 2000's.

But unlike the early 2000s, SFMM is also getting rid of the park's most insane maintenance nightmares. Flashback, Psyclone, Log Jammer, Deja Vu, and others all gone. What is gained from getting rid of them more than makes up for the increased resource demand that new rides bring in both short & long term maintenance.

The park isn't really expanding so much as it is simply reorganizing its resources and putting them to much more relevant & beneficial use. Nothing to worry about at all.

As far as what will fit where and how things can possible fit into a space that looks too small I have this to say. The people who build roller coasters for a living are very good at what they do. Sure there are rides at other parks that would not fit into the same plot of land, thankfully those rides are not at SFMM. I'm not about to make a guess at what the park is going to get where Log Jammer is, however I can tell you that if the park wants a Giga Coaster there, I bet they can find a way to make that happen. Back in the early 2000's I spent a lot of time covering SFMM, I even had a handful of sources (not the dippin dots guy, but people who actually did tell me things that ended up true) that would slip me tidbits of information. Not one of them ever mentioned that the park was looking at the top of Samurai Summit for a new ride. In fact I'm pretty sure that was the only part of the park I never heard a whisper for. Before Tatsu had you taken me up there and asked if I thought a ride could fit there my answer would have been a quick no... Turns out I was wrong. Despite the debate here, my strong hunch is that if the park wants something (and has the money for it) they will find a way to fit it into the park.

But unlike the early 2000s, SFMM is also getting rid of the park's most insane maintenance nightmares. Flashback, Psyclone, Log Jammer, Deja Vu, and others all gone. What is gained from getting rid of them more than makes up for the increased resource demand that new rides bring in both short & long term maintenance.

The park isn't really expanding so much as it is simply reorganizing its resources and putting them to much more relevant & beneficial use. Nothing to worry about at all.

To be fair......Flashback wasn't technically a maintenance nightmare per se, cause it was never open. One less thing to inspect every morning.

I do get your point though. And since they've obviously given up on the whole "family friendly" thing, they might as well keep doing what they are good at, and that's thrill rides.

I can't imagine that they wouldn't use the landscape for a terrain coaster, as they already have several coasters whose main attributes are height and drops. The plot of land being made available is sizable and varying in its shapes. There is plenty they could do to preserve the area while adding a new coaster, regardless of who the coaster is manufactured by.

In my mind, Muntanya Russa at Tibidabo is a great example of what can be done with a mountain terrain in a theme park setting.

^ My only worry about something like that is it would be seen as too similar to Gold Rusher by the GP. But that looks really awesome and would be a great fit and still be something "Family Oriented".

EDIT: Just watched Robb's POV of that ride and it looks really awesome. I'd personally love something like that.

My guess is it will be some kind of launched coaster but will hopefully use the terrain.

As for Log Jammer closing, I was kind of sad when I rode it last Monday, but I know it's time. 40 years is a LONG time for a Log Flume.

I'm just hoping that with the maintenance savings from Log Jammer they can do some work on Jet Stream. Roaring Rapids got a really nice rehab last year so it'd be nice if Jet Stream did too.

Edited by Sir Clinksalot