TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Don't know if this has been noticed and mentioned yet but I was cruising thru some old posts and came accross something pretty interesting. Check out Rob's comment on page 277 of this thread... is it possible this has been in the works for 4 years or is it just an amazing coincidence? And if not, Rob, can you give us some hints as to what we can expect in 2015?

Also on that page was the rumour that it was Deja Vu and Jet Stream being removed.

Oooh so close.

http://hometownstation.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=26728:log-jammer-magic-clarita-2011-11-01-13-56&catid=26:local-news&Itemid=97

While thrill-seekers have been packing Six Flags Magic Mountain for the last month to enjoy the rides and attractions, especially its 19th annual Fright Fest, a rumor of nightmarish proportions was confirmed on social networks Monday morning.

Log Jammer was riding off into the night on Halloween.

Official word came from park spokeswoman Sue Carpenter who said that the rumors are true, but expressed optimism about what the future holds.

“Log Jammer is being removed for future park expansion,” she said. “Six Flags Magic Mountain is always evolving, not one to rest on its laurels. We are sad to see Log Jammer leave, but we are excited about the future plans for the area and know our guests will be too.”

Asked if there was any sort of “decommissioning” plan for the ride, which has given thousands of guests a scenic splash and easy ride with a couple of scream-inducing drops, Carpenter said the ride will close with little fanfare.

No more parents will be able to appease their demanding children, offering the slower, gentler log ride as “look, a coaster made of trees!” knowing that their tension levels would temporarily wash away with the splashing water.

It’s even been erased from the park’s website.

Log Jammer was one of the first rides open when the park debuted in 1971. It was the park’s only flume ride until Jet Stream joined the park’s roster in 1972.

”We do have plans for the Log Jammer site and they will be announced in 2012. I know the park’s fans are going to be thrilled with what we have planned for the area.” Carpenter continued. “Log Jammer is going to go quietly, as there are no plans for ‘the last ride.’”

Indeed, with screams that one could attribute to guests at the last night of Fright Fest, the anguished cries of Log Jammer fans faded into the dark Halloween night

The departure of the non-metal-white-knuckler ride that many sentimental guests will miss leaves only Jet Stream, Roaring Rapids and Tidal Wave to provide a semi-gentle cooling off when temperatures in the park soar into the hundreds.

“There are only four water rides at MM and they are needed in the hot summer months,” said Saugus resident Mary Ferguson. “Log Jammer was a nice relaxing ride that you only had to wait an hour for.”

While park officials might have exciting things planned, some people posted comments on Facebook, including some former employees.

“Steve (my husband) used to work that ride,” said Cathy Martin. I worked in the gift store near that ride. I remember tons of guests coming into the store soaking wet after they went on that ride. The Jet Stream was another fun flume ride.”

Robin Bratslavsky chimed in with some memories.

“I LOVE that ride. I remember getting kicked off of it once when I was in 8th grade. We were rocking the boat and splashing with some friends.”

“Progress, schmogress,” said former LA area resident Chris Reed. “For more of us, save Pirates of the Caribbean, the Log Jammer was our first water ride. Gold Rusher must be an endangered species too.”

Those commenting often talked about Log Jammer being somewhat intergenerational.

“Log Jammer and Gold Rusher have always been my favorites,” said Jerrold DeShong.” My Grandma Noreen took us when we were little and rode every ride with us. Those two were her favorites too.”

“Log Jammer is the best ride at Magic Mountain. But then, I still miss the InnerSpace (microscope) ride at Disneyland,” said Suzanne Schroeder.

Suzanne Schroeder: Log Jammer is the best ride at Magic Mountain. But then I still miss the Inner space (microscope) ride at Disneyland.

If anything, Log Jammer was one of the rides that welcomed all guests, with few restrictions.

“Over the years some of the best times were being with my 4 children and going there in the summertime and getting drenched on that ride,” said Marc Deagon. “I have great memories and pictures as well.”

Edited by jedimaster1227

How about a new park were Log Jammer is...like Pistachio Park, but this time, like Orange Grove Park, where you can stroll thru groves of orange trees and learn about the many wonders of oranges...maybe even something reminiscent of DCA's Orange Stinger....and recreate the giant Orange as a centerpiece to the new Orange Grove Park...yeah, that would be cool...hmmmm, what other kind of park could go where Deja Vu was...what else can be showcased to represent SoCal?

I've been hoping that someone would post a photo-cropped shot of the Log Jammer's course so we could get an idea of exactly how much real estate would be freed up (hint hint)!!! LOL

Here basically. The lake areas take up a bunch of space.

Wes if you dont mind. I used your pic of the layout (and cited it was courtesy of you (WES) at TPR) to show the people who are saying they will never go back to the park again, or who are making this a bigger deal then it already is, how big the area where log jammer was, and how a pretty large coaster could go in that spot if they use it for that purpose. I hope that was ok w/ you.

Kepp in mind that Six Flags announced just a few months ago what was happening in 2012, so we might have to wait till next September or so before we find out.

But also, since the land area where log jammer is pretty large

”We do have plans for the Log Jammer site and they will be announced in 2012. I know the park’s fans are going to be thrilled with what we have planned for the area.” Carpenter continued. “Log Jammer is going to go quietly, as there are no plans for ‘the last ride.’”

They could ANNOUNCE what they are building there in 2012, but may not OPEN in 2012 per-say. As building something in an area that big would take longer then what it took to build green lantern or lex..

Wes if you dont mind. I used your pic of the layout (and cited it was courtesy of you (WES) at TPR) to show the people who are saying they will never go back to the park again, or who are making this a bigger deal then it already is, how big the area where log jammer was, and how a pretty large coaster could go in that spot if they use it for that purpose. I hope that was ok w/ you.

Yah I spent 15 seconds drawing a red line around a screencap from Google Maps, you don't need to credit me.

^Well, they did just ship two rides to other parks within the chain...but I don't think they will do that for a park as big as SFMM.

I really dont think they care. If they advertise it like they are doing with with DJV over in SFNE and Goliath. The GP wont know the difference of a used coaster or a new coaster as long as its "new" to the park. The Gp is really the only people six flags Caters to to, us coaster people are the moinority hear.

SFNE isn't in the same market as a Disney resort, Knotts, Universal, and to a lesser extent Legoland & Sea World.

It would be nice if they auctioned off parts of the ride instead of just trashing the whole thing, though I am sure things like the boats will be sent to other parks....I have a log ride boat from MGM grand Adventures....wouldnt mind another one...or some signage

Log Jammer was probably my first or second favorite flume ride in California. I was shocked that they would tear down Log Jammer instead of Jet Stream. We probably wont get an announcement for the new attraction taking Log Jammers spot until around August or September. The new attraction probably wont arrive until May of 2013.

For the people that don't get why they removed this and not Jet Stream....

Jet Stream clearly isn't as good, but it also has Ninja over it so what would they be able to put in that space that's better than Jet Stream? Not much unless they removed Ninja too and there's no reason to do that.

Getting rid of Log Jammer opens up a lot of room for them to build a large attraction. Take a look at the google map and you'll see what I mean.

Link