TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Better, but even that could do with a few trees and bushes in the ride area to make it a little more exciting.

I like how the track before the curve still has the attachments for the walkway due to it being on the lake at Geauga.

SFMM really could do with at least some grass under Scream though..

If six flags made the area around scream pretty, it would look great. At least some grass and trees would make a world of a difference. I think six flags really is starting to get lazy with their placement of rides. SFMM was so good looking before, with revolution in the trees and everything. I just feel like they seemed to forget about how awesome the landscaping was and thought more about the coaster crown. Tatsu was the one to do it for me. When that was announced, as excited as I was, my heart almost sank when I found out where it was being placed, over EVERYTHING. Plus it would have been a little bit better if the colors were like...an earthy color. They had to go with that hideous orange. Don't get me wrong, I love SFMM and I love how ominous the coasters look, but they really lost that "mountain" feel.

I gotta disagree about Tatsu. That being "over everything " is what separates it from other flyers, and makes the ride exciting imo. Dollywood is doing something similar with Wild Eagle and I love that as well. As for Scream or Colossus, I can see both of those issues dealt with sooner than people think.

But Dollywood isn't ruining another coaster's experience with Wild Eagle. Tatsu really murdered the second half of Revolution, but Wild Eagle is very isolated on its mountain. You can see it from everywhere, but you won't be able to come inches from touching its supports on other coasters.

If six flags made the area around scream pretty, it would look great. At least some grass and trees would make a world of a difference. I think six flags really is starting to get lazy with their placement of rides. SFMM was so good looking before, with revolution in the trees and everything. I just feel like they seemed to forget about how awesome the landscaping was and thought more about the coaster crown. Tatsu was the one to do it for me. When that was announced, as excited as I was, my heart almost sank when I found out where it was being placed, over EVERYTHING. Plus it would have been a little bit better if the colors were like...an earthy color. They had to go with that hideous orange. Don't get me wrong, I love SFMM and I love how ominous the coasters look, but they really lost that "mountain" feel.
Yeah, I see what you mean, it may be a great ride and all, but they took out a ton of trees from such a heavily wooded area. But really, when hasn't Six Flags been lazy about ride placements? Revolution was put in before Six Flags even owned it. So I can't say there was a point where SF ever valued beauty of the park over coasters. Just my thought.

But Dollywood isn't ruining another coaster's experience with Wild Eagle. Tatsu really murdered the second half of Revolution, but Wild Eagle is very isolated on its mountain. You can see it from everywhere, but you won't be able to come inches from touching its supports on other coasters.

If SFMM cared enough to make Revolution a great ride once again, I might agree with you. As it is, I could care less about what Tatsu does to a ride I will never set foot on again.

Tatsu aside, Magic Mountain has been pretty awful when it comes to ride placement throughout it's history, pre Six Flags included. A park as naturally beautiful as The Mountain, should never have installed more than a few coasters to begin with. It would have made a gorgeous family/animal park. Ironically, had they taken that route, the park may not be around today.

If I am SFMM's GM, cleaning up the area underneath scream is probably about the 1000th thing on my to do list. That is money much better off being spent upgrading infrastructure, staffing rides, rehabbing rides, etc.

^^Of all 18 coasters, only four make use of the terrain. Of those four, only one (Tatsu) was built after the 1980's. Six Flags just ruined SFMM's potential. One thing that just baffles me was the placement of Goliath. A hyper coaster would work awesome on the mountain, and could make prefect use of the terrain. Instead, they built it over a parking lot in the front of the park! At least we got Tatsu. Apoc was built to fill Psyclone's old spot, and Green Lantern is not exactly a terrain ride. What SFMM should have done was build a terrain CGI, and add a drop tower in Apoc's spot. Currently, only one terrain GCI exists, and that one Chinese ride looks pretty awesome to me; much better than Apoc! (Not that Apoc is a bad little ride, although it is no terrain coaster)

i get where all of you are coming from, every time i visit six flags mm i talk about how horrible the themeing is there, and all the abandon buildings are a whole other story. its seems like every ride they have but it has been the cheap way, instead of spending money to put decorations in or around the attraction. i thing ninja is one of my favorite rides in the whole park, just due to the facts it hugs the mountain and goes in between trees and stuff.

^^Of all 18 coasters, only four make use of the terrain. Of those four, only one (Tatsu) was built after the 1980's. Six Flags just ruined SFMM's potential. One thing that just baffles me was the placement of Goliath. A hyper coaster would work awesome on the mountain, and could make prefect use of the terrain. Instead, they built it over a parking lot in the front of the park!

Someone could correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Goliath was built on a parking lot. There used to be a wooded hill there that housed the Trollywood train at one time. They shaved down the hill to build Goliath.

I still think they should consider doing a Bizarro re-theme considering that the park is now getting a Lex Luthor themed ride right near there. Frankly I'm surprised they decided not to give Scream! The Bizarro rehab in the first place. At least the park lot theme would make a little more sense?

Just thinking out loud here. Forgive my runaway thoughts.

^^^ I hope they opt no to do such given the parks current track record of audio on coasters... Plus after riding Bizarro at SFGAdv this summer and realizing how one could barely hear the audio over the B&M Roar, it just doesn't seem worth the money. And without doing the audio I don't see the point in giving the ride a make over that would not change the experience enough to make it remarketable.

Edited by SuperShawn

I don't mind all the superhero stuff at SFMM as long as it is contained to the same general area. Batman, Green Lantern, Riddler's, Superman...all those are relatively close together, and the other rides that are superhero themed are right next to them. I do agree, however, that having too much of one theme would not be a good idea, especially if it was spread all over the park. If they build another coaster behind DC Universe or next to Scream, then its fine by me if it is superhero themed because it would fit in that area. However, if the replacement for Deja Vu is themed after a superhero, or they built something with that theme by X2 or Roaring Rapids, it really wouldn't fit very well. Either way, I'm not going to avoid a ride just because of its theming, although I may not think it fits too well.

As for Scream being turned into Bizarro, I'm all for a retheme of Scream, even a superhero one, but not as Bizarro. I rode SFGAdv's Bizarro a couple months ago and I prefer Scream in its current form to that ride. The audio was either annoying or inaudiable the whole ride and the theming didn't do much for me. I may like Scream more than the average person but I think its fine the way it is and unless they are actually going to do a good job on a retheming job it would probably be better to leave it as it is for now. It works, and when I'm on the ride I don't pay too much attention to the parking lot anyway.

Just out of curiosity, do most of you think the theming location is more necessary at SFMM than SFGAdv? Because it's always bothered me that there's an area with Batman and Dark Knight, then another with Superman and Green Lantern, and then bizarro is way the hell out there in its own little world. Just wondering if that placement is better or worse than SFMM's super-coasters.

I think the ride placement in comparison to theming is better at Great Adventure than Magic Mountian. Because you have X2 located in Baja Ridge a Mexican themed area, Ridder isn't even located in Gotham City or now DC Universe, Term/Apocolypse is located in Cyclone Bay which is a seaport themed area, Goliath has a jungle theme but is located in a generally generic themed area, Superman is located in Sammurai Summit, and Tatsu's entrance and exit are located in River Camp Crossing. Of course I think building roller coasters was more of Magic Mountain's priority over the years than if the theming matched.