TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I will miss Deja Vu as well let me say the only time I rode it was when I was able to duck under the height requirement. After that, I now know why you can't be a certain height. Your knees at the very least have a high chance of getting knocked off.

With the last few questions of where the lines go. Let me give a simple map to where the property lines of the park go to. If anyone on here can't plot the lines or understand what this is, I guess let me know, I will post how this looks in relation to the most recent Google Sat Map.

magicm.pdf

Went to the park yesterday and........

In regards to Fright Fest, it is better than recent years however still not on par with Horror Nights or Haunt by any means. I will say it is worth the $10 ($8 w/ season pass) wrist band charge especially seeing how your season pass includes this event.

Yea they are in a hurry. They had 2 guys on a cherry picker unbolting cobra roll track pieces, 3 guys unbolting the 2nd tower's cable winch assembly and 3 or 4 guys in the station disassembling things. Lift cables have been removed, train is gone, and catch cars have been removed from both towers from what I could see from Apocalypse yesterday. Sad to see Deja go but I'm happy that people will still get to enjoy it.

I personally thought it was a great coaster. Hopefully the new Premier train will improve it's reliability and reduce maintenance costs.

I'd like to hear the back story on how the park came to lose Deja Vu mere months after crowing about the coaster crown. As an outsider, I can only speculate ignorantly on the contributing factors. Park staff seemed proud of their ability to keep Deja Vu up and running. Last year's rehab took forever, something like November to April or May. I believe they installed new cables. It has the feeling of a corporate edict suddenly handed down from on high.

Meanwhile Scream continues to be lost in its little alley. Holy oxidation - the track looks BAD, absolutely sun blasted. Does the lack of a new paint job say anything about its long term prospects? If there's one coaster that would do better elsewhere, it's Scream.

^I too fear that coming for Scream!, based on the fact that its built on the blacktop which makes for easy removal, which again for me is a bummer because I like the elements of the ride a lot. Just seems like a short term installation that they intended to have move eventually which is why the park never bothered spending money to put some grass under it. Perhaps Deja Vu is just the beginning of the company scaling down Magic Mountain, with rumors about Log Jammer as well, it's too bad if the park just couldn't sustain its past level of capacity.

Deja Vu will be gone soon, I suspect by next weekend a lot of the track will be gone and only the towers and supports will be left.

Scream is not going anywhere. Just because it was built on a parking lot doesn't make it temporary. It all comes down to dollars. They didn't put money into themeing when it was built and they probably don't extra money to do it now. The other coasters have been getting new paint so I would look for Scream to get it in the next few years.

Scream is not going anywhere. Just because it was built on a parking lot doesn't make it temporary. It all comes down to dollars. They didn't put money into themeing when it was built and they probably don't extra money to do it now. The other coasters have been getting new paint so I would look for Scream to get it in the next few years.

I hope you're right Bob. I enjoy Scream, and there's hardly ever a line. I love the last row outside. Amazing air...

Just seems like a short term installation that they intended to have move eventually which is why the park never bothered spending money to put some grass under it.

Has there ever been any ground under any coaster that has been more scrutinized and speculated about than the ground under Scream! ?

^ Actually, from certain parts of Colossus, it is. But all that dense wood does help.

With Deja Vu, I suspect it was a corporate decision and unfortunately Tim and crew had little say, similar to what happened with Riddler's third train. Hopefully by playing nicely and giving up a ride both the park and the locals loved, it will mean something special coming down the pipeline as a replacement. As evident by X-flight, the company seems more willing add something major to their crown jewel parks than they have the last few years. And I'd be surprised if they didn't want to continue promoting SFMM as the thrill capitol, especially with the addition of Drop Of Doom.

Just seems like a short term installation that they intended to have move eventually which is why the park never bothered spending money to put some grass under it.

Has there ever been any ground under any coaster that has been more scrutinized and speculated about than the ground under Scream! ?

Yes Medusa at SFDK

You can also see the parking lot under Goliath and X2 - ALSO parking lots coasters! Almost all of Colossus is built on the parking lot...at least half of Goliath and X2 as well!

Agreed lots of six flags magic mountain coasters are built on a parking lot and scream probably wont go anywhere. Im just wondering if Six flags will put something in deja vus place for 2012 or 2013?

One of the rolling improvements I would like to see SFMM take on, and indeed the whole chain, is to do something with the "parking lot" coasters visually. At the least, a concrete stain in a color other than black. And dare I dream, a fence in a style other than a simple chain link? The prison camp look, while functional as far as safety, really is a case of doing the absolute bare minimum.

While sad to see Deja Vu go, it will be good to see what the park can now place there that is more reliable and higher capacity. The clever use of space for Green Lantern and now Lex in 12, gives me hope.

^Yeah, it would be nice if they invested a little money to do something under the coasters. At least cover the parking strips and stain it to one color so it doesn't look like you put up the coaster on the cheap. Ok, they did do it on the cheap but really, making it look nice will go a long way for their image.

Just for curiosities sake, here is a list of ALL six flags parking lot coasters....at least what I could find on Google Earth:

SFMM: Colossus, Goliath, Scream, X2

SFDK: Not entirely sure, but quite possible every coaster(except the Boomerang and Road Runner) though Medusa is the only one that still shows parking spaces....

SFOT: Small portion of Goliath

Wow, I guess it is mostly Magic Mountain that has done this practice(though Colossus was built prior to Six Flags taking over(by one year though)...now, it was obvious looking on GE at the parks that many, many coasters, water parks, etc were built over existing parking lots, but they were landscaped underneath....Sorry Magic Mountain, was trying to defend you...oh well

After going to Magic Mountain for the first time a few weeks ago, I have to say that, overall, I was a tad unimpressed with the park. But, don't get me wrong, the coaster collection is great!

I'd love to see the park move in the direction of becoming a well-rounded park, rather than JUST a coaster haven.

It'd be great to see the park invest into getting quite a few themed flats scattered around the park.

I love the direction that Cedar Point is starting to head in, and I'm hoping that Magic Mountain follows suit.

Edited by oberts15

^Yeah, it would be nice if they invested a little money to do something under the coasters. At least cover the parking strips and stain it to one color so it doesn't look like you put up the coaster on the cheap. Ok, they did do it on the cheap but really, making it look nice will go a long way for their image.

Maybe they could ask KD how to do it right. Look what they did for Dominator in such a short time!!

849993269_ParkingLot.jpg.71ff3e13e4c1da6b231c556ecdf81875.jpg

Credit RCDB

Grass.jpg.802a921cf6b4f9ffd052d16e54d7221d.jpg

Credit RCDB