TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I went to Fright Fest on Sunday. Having been to past Fright Fest events I came in with certain expectations. Sadly I was let down. Not to say it wasn't good, it just IMO wasn't on the same level as years past.

------------

First, the decorations. Where did they all go? I don't think I've ever seen the park with less.

------------

Second, the scare zones. The one in Gotham Universe was actually pretty good and the actors were hilarious. One of them ran up to a food counter while a guest was ordering and just yelled at the top of his voice "PIZZA!!!!!" as if to order for the guest. I almost died laughing. The other scare zones were o.k., the other notable one being the Revolution scare zone as the actors had a good atmosphere to play with and it was actually scary. If only it was a bit longer... The other scare zones were less than memorable for me. When I went through the Samurai Summit one there might have been 2 or 3 actors total.

------------

The mazes went from good to really bad. I'll rate them on a "Magic Mountain" scale, comparing them to the best mazes to ever strike the Mountain. 10 being the best or one of the best mazes they've ever had, 5 being a middle of the line maze, and 1 being one of or the worst maze they've ever had.

The Aftermath: Easily the best maze of the year. It was really cool being in a big open space with a lot of visuals surrounding you. A nice break from the "endless corridors" that most mazes are. The fire effect was great and startling as well. Definitely unexpected. MM scale: 10/10

Cursed: Simply "The Bog" or whatever other maze used to be through Tidal Wave's queue. Never been great and really needs a change-up. Hardly any scares to be had either as it has lost it's 'creepy' quality from being so stale. If you've never been through it before then it could be alright, otherwise just skip it if you don't have the time. MM scale: 4/10

Chupacabra: It's all enclosed in Revolution's extended queue. Really wasn't much to look at and there were hardly any actors in the maze. MM scale: 3/10

Bite II: Last time I went through this one it was sharing the same building as Lecter's Slaughterhouse so technically it's a "new" maze for me. A bit better than what it used to be, but again, it was short. Good props though and a few good scares. MM scale: 6/10

Willoughby's Haunted Mansion: The classic. Seemed a bit shorter or maybe it was my imagination. I went through right when it opened so maybe that's why there weren't as many actors as it usually had. Still a great maze though. MM scale: 8/10

Lecter's Slaughterhouse: It started out pretty strong and it's a cle(a)ver maze in the beginning. However just over half way through it... died. All we did in the end was walk through a bunch of hallways that had painter's tarps as barriers with blood splatter on them. And there were these strobe lights that kept flashing throughout and we didn't even see one actor. This maze was a disappointment because it had so much potential at the beginning... MM scale: 5/10

Warehouse 13 Awful. Seriously I don't even know why they keep bringing this one back. All of the actors can't really even hide as it's just you walking through Log Jammer's queue. I feel bad for them, they could have had a much better time in another maze. MM scale: 1/10

Jokester's Hideout: It's not truly scary, just corny and clever. The clowns honking their horns and chasing after you at the end are always hilarious, but the maze is starting to age in a bad way. Just slap on a new coat of paint and maybe add a scare or two and it could be a really good and fun maze. MM scale: 7/10

------------

For the rides, Batman in the Dark/Fog was pretty disappointing. On top of 1 train op with a horribly slow crew, the fog seemed broken in all but one trench. Wish I could experience it like it was at WCB. X2 Area 19 was some random props thrown together and since the audio doesn't work it makes no sense. Didn't ride any of the other changed rides besides the ones "in the dark".

------------

It was my first time at the park in over a year so I got a ride on Green Lantern and it was pretty crazy. I'll never ever ever think of taking my phone on that ride again... We didn't flip in the one ride that I had but man it was still crazy. Overall though I haven't been impressed with the park for the last few years and sadly I'm still not impressed. It's like they took strides to "clean it up" but never went the full mile and I have no desire to go back more than once next year to ride the drop ride. Fright Fest wasn't as good as it used to be either, to me it seemed like they either got budget cuts or tried to extend the budget too far in order to make it the "Biggest Fright Fest ever". Maybe a bit of both.

------------

I really want to love Magic Mountain, but it's like growing up with somebody who's too stubborn to admit their flaws. At first you're cool with it and are always looking past the bad and looking forward to the promise that the future holds and give them a pass for the present. Then you get to the point where you realize that they're never going to change and it's just frustrating and you can't be around it. I really would wish I could say Magic Mountain has gotten better, but it really hasn't. I want to love it, after all my name is MagicMountainMan! I almost wish the place was sold to another company...

Thanks for reading my wall-o-text.

-Brandon

...And if you don't, we'll call you a lesbian Justin Bieber!

LOL!

I really want to get back to this park, simply so I can do something on the west coast. I'm thinking West Coast Bash 2012 and if not then, sometime in May before summer begins.

First off the actors aren't even suppose to talk to you.... I don't care about being scared but seeing my friend being insulted pissed me off. Second off My friend didn't say one word to the clown or whatever... Third. We were offered the passes. We went in there and said right off the bat that we didn't want anything....

I don't see how some of you think its ok for paid actor to come up and insult you when you are just walking around. Not just once but multiple times.

Im sorry if this is off topic or if its already been mentioned before, but can SFMM buy the empty land surrounding them?

Anything can be had for a price but why would they want to? They have plenty of room in the park itself to add rides for many years?

I'm not getting chocked up about Deja Vu leaving. It was not a great ride.

You know they could fit a mouse back there!

After Green Lantern, please something a little higher capacity than a mouse.

Like Deja Vu was a people eater? Most of their rides have good capacity if they were run right. A mouse would be more reliable than Vu. I don't see why it would have to be a high capacity ride.

Now that I think about it, I will kind of miss old Vu. The capacity was usually around 300-400 per hour, but that hanging sensation was just awesome. Its too bad SF never really bothered to motivate their staff more. It's hard to believe the theoretical capacity of that thing is higher than most wild mice rides.

I might actually have a reason now to somehow make it out to SFNE (besides Bizarro). Would love to try out new trains. I was lucky enough to be able to make it out to KI shortly after Invertigarden came in. Maybe somehow I will ride the new premier train Deja Vu as well? One can only hope.

MrSum1_"Hopes that Vu's new life will not be downtime filled and no longer have the capacity of a Fuji-Q ride"55

R.I.P. Deja Vu. (August 2001-October 2011) I honestly never thought you were that rough.

I'm not getting chocked up about Deja Vu leaving. It was not a great ride.

You know they could fit a mouse back there!

After Green Lantern, please something a little higher capacity than a mouse.

Like Deja Vu was a people eater? Most of their rides have good capacity if they were run right. A mouse would be more reliable than Vu. I don't see why it would have to be a high capacity ride.

Capacity aside, there is nothing about mice rides that excite me in the least. And I find the 4 or 5 we have here in California to be crashing bores. If were going family ride as replacement for Deja (which I doubt), I think they can do better.

Just my thought.

Edited by John Knotts