TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Was insulting a 15 yr. old kid a stupid thing for the scareactor to do? Yes, absolutely. But, I wouldn't compare this to making an insult based on a person's actual race or sexuality. That is a completely different ballgame. Obviously, a 15 yr. old male is not a lesbian, so it is what it is. A very unfunny insult.

Even if this "actor" were provoked, it doesn't excuse the comment (if it was is being posted was actually said). It's silly, and insulting, to somehow claim that they're "immune" or that the guest needs to grow a thicker skin. Obviously there are two sides to the story, but it's unfair to assume that "something must have been said to the guy, first" and then to excuse it as simply an "unfunny, dumb joke".

Like it or not, it's a different world we're living in. I know this site likes to poke fun at the lawsuit-loving, gravy-chugging, "pussy" nature of this country ... and while you can debate all of those stereotypes all day long, if "everybody" accepts that they're true it makes this story THAT much worse - realize "where" you live, and refrain from crap like that. Right?

I agree with the comparison to a comedy show - you're obviously fair game (and you know it) going into a live comedy show. Walking through a "scare zone" shouldn't come with some fine print that you need to have thick skin over topics like your personal appearance/sexual preference etc. There's a line, and from what has been posted, it was crossed.

Just my half dime's worth.

From the description the guy provided, the character is a jester/clown. Isn't that part of the character?

It's also worth noting this is the same park that made Heckles & Twitch "famous." Their act/characters? Making fun of people on megaphones all night long. They were so good at it, both USH and SFMM gave them shows! (side note: it's too bad their show at HHN sadly was neutered and turned into crap).

It disgusts me that anybody (let alone TPR members) would even be "ok" with this happening in a park. I don't even care if the parks a shitty low quality park like SFMM. There is simply no excuse for a scare actor (which bears no less responsibility for guests than a normal park employee) INSULTING A PARK GUEST! There's no excuse! None! It wasn't a funny joke (I don't even think that should even be considered a joke) and it had no purpose other than to insult an innocent paying park guest that's didn't even do anything!

I'm still trying to figure out how this would even be semi-funny if anything.

The event is given a PG-13 rating for a reason. I still don't get what all the fuss is about. It was a wannabe actor/comedian making a bad joke trying to play his role.

If this is such a big deal, where is the outrage when Bill & Teds or the Hanging make references to homosexuality and all sorts of other "offensive" material? Why hasn't anyone ever complained on here about Heckles & Twitch (who have been making fun of guests at the park for at least 10 years now)?

Context. Bill & Ted is billed as a comedy show. Heckles & Twitch is billed as an insult comedy show. A maze isn't a comedy show, and the actor went out of his way to make mean spirited insults (hardly jokes) to directed to a person.

If it was just a normal operating day I could understand being upset, but it is absolutely expected at events like these. Like Jew said, the Bill & Ted's show is so offensive, but that's whats so funny about it.

^^Heckles & Twitch did not always have a show. They were just street characters harassing people with megaphones for years before USH (and later SFMM) gave them an actual show. So much so, that I was always under the impression that was sort of an unoffical theme for the Gotham/DC Universe area: psycho clowns harassing/scaring people, since the majority of the monsters there (led by Heckles & Twitch) seemed to follow that pattern.

Pretty much every halloween event I have been to I have seen clowns throwing some kind of not so serious insults (Like this one) at guests even at Cedar Point which has one of the most neutered halloween events there is (In my opinion). This is because most clowns aim for either a scare or a laugh. Obviously this was a failed attempt at a laugh and im sure he realised that wont work next time.

Honesty its best to just let it go, halloween events stir up alot of controversy and alot of times thats what helps brings in the crowds so nothing is going to change.

Edited by kidcoaster 2

Pretty much every halloween event I have been to I have seen clowns throwing some kind of not serious insult at guests even at Cedar Point which has one of the most neutered halloween events there is (In my opinion). This is because most clowns aim for either a scare or a laugh. Obviously this was a failed attempt at a laugh and im sure he realised that wont work next time.

Honesty its best to just let it go, halloween events stir up alot of controversy and alot of times thats what helps brings in the crowds so nothing is going to change.

It must be a California thing because I've NEVER seen them show such disrespect to guests at KD or even SFA for that matter during their halloween events.

Context. Bill & Ted is billed as a comedy show. Heckles & Twitch is billed as an insult comedy show. A maze isn't a comedy show, and the actor went out of his way to make mean spirited insults (hardly jokes) to directed to a person.

The scare zone's description on the park's website:

The insane and unruly run rampant in the streets of DC Universe. Prepare to feel really uncomfortable with these comic-like characters running a muck.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with hurling insults as part of a "character". It should be done in a general way though, not personal. Unless I really looked like a lesbian Justin Beiber, I would laugh it off and move on. Degrading someone is one thing, playing a character having fun at guests expense, that wouldn't bother me so much.

Jew, You are by far one of my most favorite people on the Planet. I hope that one day I get to meet you, and then we can go on insulting everyone we see at theme parks. Myself and WRS28330 having been doing this for years.

And I am sure that everyone makes fun of everyone, most people just do it silently or in their head. The only difference is that an Insane Arkham Asylum Clown, has done it to someones face. I guess no one remembers Chucky's Insult Comedy show. I guess Chucky is dead at last.

Six Flags Magic Mountain Fright Fest, is still one of the Best Halloween events in SoCal.

--F

We spent about 45 minutes to an hour on Saturday night hanging out in the "City Under Siege" area and didn't see anything like this going on. All of the performers were top-notch, having a blast and scaring the crap out of people who dared to walk through the area with strollers (yes, it was happening).

Not saying this didn't happen, but something tells me we aren't getting the whole story.

When you go to a special event, like a Haunt, you should expect the unexpected. If they're playing a freak clown, don't expect their comments or actions to be fun or acceptable . They should be, Rude, Crude and socially unacceptable, it's their job. If you can't handle crude humor you shouldn't go, just like if you don't like being scared, stay away. You have to take what your given, it's their job to make you take notice.

The over-reaction of the kids mother would imply that he was brought up in such a way that he likely dished an insult out to the clown, but was unable to emotionally handle it being dished back. It's all fun and games until they offend you, then you go tattling on the clown to mommy.

Wes, I usually agree with you but having worked with guests for the last 13 years of my life, I would hardly think that the staff member is 100% to blame. Perhaps a poor reaction to some dick comment the kid said to him, but I would guess it was provoked. Jokes about pimples are typically reactionary. Jokes about lesbian justin beiber are awesome.

I have a really hard time believing insulting guests is part of the atmosphere. Sorry.

Whether or not you have a hard time believing it, insulting guests is part of the atmosphere. Its been like this at many (albeit not all) of the Halloween events I've been to. I think we should all think of the possible circumstances of the story not being shared before we just take the word of some random poster. I have a feeling we are not getting the whole story here.

That being said, people need to stop being so offended, and learn to take a joke. When simply calling a guy a "lesbian Justin Bieber" is deemed offensive to some of you, you are enforcing a negative connotation with homosexuals, are you not? If a homosexual slur was used, that would be a different story. But simply using the word homosexual or lesbian in and of itself should not be offensive to anyone.

I do think that the ProActiv comment wasn't that bad, and probably should've been shaken off, but the other one was a display of bigotry...

Um...calling someone a lesbian version of Justin Bieber is not a display bigotry. It does not show intolerance of the Gay and Lesbian community. Please stop throwing that word around if you have no idea how to use it.

I have a good sense of humor and can appreciate that the atmosphere in a scare zone should be taken lightly, but there is nothing funny or scary about an employee at the park you are patroning basically telling you that you're ugly and have bad skin. Or making offensive comments about the LGBT communtiy. That is WAY over the line. I hope the kid gets his free season passes.

I have a really hard time believing insulting guests is part of the atmosphere. Sorry.

Whether or not you have a hard time believing it, insulting guests is part of the atmosphere. Its been like this at many (albeit not all) of the Halloween events I've been to. I think we should all think of the possible circumstances of the story not being shared before we just take the word of some random poster. I have a feeling we are not getting the whole story here.

That being said, people need to stop being so offended, and learn to take a joke. When simply calling a guy a "lesbian Justin Bieber" is deemed offensive to some of you, you are enforcing a negative connotation with homosexuals, are you not? If a homosexual slur was used, that would be a different story. But simply using the word homosexual or lesbian in and of itself should not be offensive to anyone.

I do think that the ProActiv comment wasn't that bad, and probably should've been shaken off, but the other one was a display of bigotry...

Um...calling someone a lesbian version of Justin Bieber is not a display bigotry. It does not show intolerance of the Gay and Lesbian community. Please stop throwing that word around if you have no idea how to use it.

I suppose it's silly to accuse you of framing analogies to serve your argument, as you clearly are. One point that bugs me is your excusing of the "gay/lesbian slur" is actually only a slur if you consider it one...then you, yourself, is the one with the issue. Ok, so if some white guy had a really dark tan then it'd be ok to start slinging around some hilarious zingers about being black/African-American version of _____ ? Is that what you're saying? Nothing at all wrong with being gay/lesbian, and surely nothing wrong with being African-American, so surely the latter is just as "ok" as the former, right?

Anyway, it'd be wonderful if we had a video of the full exchange to be sure - as I know "kids" can be pretty mouthy at times, and it'd be interesting to see just how innocent he was/was not - but I think the responsibility falls to the employee to rise above it. I know, I know, some will claim it was that scare "actor's" job to insult (and this "clearly" wasn't past whatever the line is), but it seems to be bad form to "go there". I guess I just don't see that environment as one where I'd expect something like that---so maybe I've just been "lucky" to not hear something as tasteless as that all these years!

Moving on, has there been any work on either the Deja Vu or Superman tower sites? I'm eager to see exactly how they're going to setup the queue(s) for the Drop Tower, and I'm wondering if they'll begin any clearing around Deja Vu prior to the final rides.

^ yeah personally I think 2 pages of back in forth about something that may or may not have happened the way it was reported is enough. Nothing I've heard sounded like much of a big deal to me. Stop taking everything so seriously.

I'd like to hear more reviews pro and con of Fright Fest!

I agree. Guys, lets move on from discussing the scareactor incident. Everyone obviously is going to have a difference in opinion on the matter, which has been made clear in the last few pages, so lets get back to discussing other more constructive things at the park.