TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

And batman, WARNING IT ONLY IS RUNNING 1 TRAIN, and the crew was moving slow even for just the 1 train. 2 min dispaches and 1 train operation makes for a slow moving line. But foggy nights its totally worth it.

They pulled that same stuff when they ran one train on Tatsu over spring break, but of course Tatsu is totally worth it anyway too!

And I was hoping X2's audio would be working for Fright Fest. That just makes Area 19 kinda lame. Sounds like the crew was great though.

^Actually, it was worse than that. When Tatsu ran one train (like at WCB) dispatches were about five minutes to a train, with one running, totaling out at seven-minute dispatches. Thank god someone had the good idea to impose a return-ticket system, as it could easily get 2 hour waits. I remember the backlot tour of Tatsu, when the it felt like the wait for each train took forever. For Batman to have two minute dispatches on a 1 minute ride doesn't sound too bad; usually the Medusa crew at SFDK can't even send out a train in less than 3 minutes.

Hey guys went to fright fest tonight it was fun. But my friend was verbally assaulted by a gould in a scare zone saying "You should try som proactive for your face" and "You look like the lesbain version of justin bieber" and my friend started staring at him cause he was pissed. and then the guy opened his arms and said went something like "Do you want my body or something?"

I took this up with one of the guards who was watching and he said thats his job and that i'm over reading it. argued with him for a minutes and then he asked me to leave the scare zone. and threatened to kick me out of the park

I love FF and Six Flags but this just pissed me off.

The security guard openly supported bigotry? Classy. You should probably email the managers of the park or something so that they can at least brief their employees about that, cause that ain't cool.

Yeah i did a quick little thing on there facebook page and then sent a email to them.

Went to the park for the first time today!

Moved to LA from Illinois about 1 or 2 months ago.

Had a really fun time, short lines, minimal crowds.

Fright fest seemed to kind of lack. The scare zone by Green Lantern was cool, though.

Definitely sad to see Deja Vu go, happened to be one of my favorites.

Loved the coaster collection, but I'd still love to see the park get a "That Roller Coaster" coaster that really stood out among the rest. Kinda like a dragster or millennium force (Don't forget, I'm a midwest kid).

Like a few other people above, I went to the park today to check out Fright Fest. I'm not that into Halloween Events (never been to and don't have much desire to visit Knott's or Universal's events), but since I have a season pass and wanted to try Colossus Backward (in addition to the other Fright Fest rides), as well as get a final ride on Deja Vu, I decided I'd go.

First, the normal day:

-Crowds were fairly low. Other than Green Lantern: First Flight, X2, and Goliath, I didn't wait more than 15 minutes for anything. Lines did pick up a little in the afternoon, but never got that bad.

-I got on everything I wanted to do once, anything I wanted a re-ride on twice, and a few selected rides three times (Apocalypse the Ride, Goliath, and Riddler's Revenge). I also took the time to do Buccaneer and Scrambler so I have now been on every non-kiddie ride in the park.

-Green Lantern seems to be running better (as in few mid-course stops and quicker dispatches), but I discovered how uncomfortable the ride can actually be. In the second part of the ride, the vehicle didn't rotate fully and I ended up doing the whole lower curve in an inverted position, creating massive force on my shoulders. Although I still think the ride is pretty good, I have to downgrade its rating to a B (from A) and its rank to 6th (from 3rd). It is now below Riddler's Revenge and above Scream on my coaster list.

-Got a final ride on Deja Vu. It will be a great fit for SFNE, and will be their second or third best coaster. Even if they have a standard boomerang the ride is a different experience.

Now, for Fright Fest:

-I didn't purchase a maze pass so I didn't go into the mazes.

-The scare zones, with the exception of DC Universe, were mostly disappointing. They all seemed too small or too sparsely populated. 2nd place would probably be the path from Tatsu down to Revolution, but it still wasn't that great. Note that I did not go into the Samurai Summit area, so I cannot comment on that one (I entered the other five, however).

-I was very surprised how much shorter the lines for rides got when the mazes opened. Even X2 was only a three train wait. The only exceptions were Batman and Green Lantern, probably due to being located right in a scare zone and having low capacity (Batman has one and only one available train at the moment).

-Only Riddler's Revenge had a true lights-off ride (all lights in the ride area, including the lifthill, were out). Other "dark" coasters had at minimum lift and queue lights on, and mostly felt like normal night rides.

-Foggy Nights Batman was not as foggy as I remember it being at WCB, but it was still fun. If you did it at WCB, I'd advise skipping it as the line is long due to noted one-train operation. Otherwise, it is a must ride.

-Despite being advertised as a haunted attraction, there is nothing special with Sandblasters AT ALL! I didn't even bother to ride.

-X2's audio was completely out in both trains (1 & 2 were running) all day, rendering the Area 19 theme pretty much useless. At least it is still a great ride.

Finally, Colossus Backwards. To put it simply, it is fun, it is different, but it isn't necessarily spectacular. I rode both the forward and backward train, and I think I prefer the forward side. The ride is just a little too nauseating for me in reverse (I don't do well with rides in reverse for long periods). I'm glad I did it once, but once per visit is probably my maximum and I don't know that I'd wait more than fifteen minutes or so to do it again next year (about what I waited this time).

Overall, it was a good day. According to employees, Sundays are the least crowded Fright Fest days. While Fright Fest was underwhelming and overhyped, I was expecting that and wasn't really too focused on the typical Halloweeen event part of it. Now that I know what they are like, I might consider doing the Knott's event next year if it is offered again and is a reasonable price. I'll probably do Fright Fest again as well, but mainly for any modified rides they might have and to (hopefully) get a fall visit with reasonably short waits & night rides.

Hey guys went to fright fest tonight it was fun. But my friend was verbally assaulted by a gould in a scare zone saying "You should try som proactive for your face" and "You look like the lesbain version of justin bieber" and my friend started staring at him cause he was pissed. and then the guy opened his arms and said went something like "Do you want my body or something?"

I took this up with one of the guards who was watching and he said thats his job and that i'm over reading it. argued with him for a minutes and then he asked me to leave the scare zone. and threatened to kick me out of the park

I am very sorry you had this type of experience with the walk around's. (What area were you in when it was said to you and your friend?)

Just so you know our walk around talent gets verbally harassed by Guests all night, so its very easy for them to get mad and rude at park guest right back at even the slightest remark. Its not your fault at all, but they are people just like you and me, and trust me when I say that after a long night of dealing with teenagers, Its very easy to be rude to everyone.

And yes the guards are just they're to make sure that guest aren't assaulting the ghouls, they won't do anything else.

Again I am sorry you had this experience and visit the park again soon.

I am very sorry you had this type of experience with the walk around's. (What area were you in when it was said to you and your friend?)

Just so you know our walk around talent gets verbally harassed by Guests all night, so its very easy for them to get mad and rude at park guest right back at even the slightest remark. Its not your fault at all, but they are people just like you and me, and trust me when I say that after a long night of dealing with teenagers, Its very easy to be rude to everyone.

And yes the guards are just they're to make sure that guest aren't assaulting the ghouls, they won't do anything else.

Again I am sorry you had this experience and visit the park again soon.

Thanks, We took it up with Six Flags and Some managers are looking into it. But we didn't even do anything to the "Talent" we were just walking around and one of them tried to scare my friend and they had a stare off and then he started with the insults. But they were all laughing about it once we walked away.

DC Universe..

Wow, LOL. Do you remember what he looked like?

Sorry If I'm asking to many questions, but this is really peeking my interest.

Haha no problem, He was wearing a orange jump suit and was dressed up like one of those Joker look a like things.

0.38 http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mKeXPikUSlU#!

I think thats him

This past summer I worked as an usher in the SFMM entertainment department, and one day backstage I struck up a conversation with a stilt walker who does scare patrol during FF. Pretty much he told me that they're given absolute immunity, guest service is out the window and the idea is: get the scare, the end. They use this loophole to scream whatever they want at the customer, mostly because they have to fend themselves against the normally unruly crowd. The only thing that's off limits is obviously physical assault. They say that due to the way customers treat them, they feel this is only fair.

During my summer, I only encountered a few volatile customers (though to be fair, next to nobody went to the shows), but apparently Fright Fest brings the absolute worst out of people. Kinda glad to be out of there now.

This past summer I worked as an usher in the SFMM entertainment department, and one day backstage I struck up a conversation with a stilt walker who does scare patrol during FF. Pretty much he told me that they're given absolute immunity, guest service is out the window and the idea is: get the scare, the end. They use this loophole to scream whatever they want at the customer, mostly because they have to fend themselves against the normally unruly crowd. The only thing that's off limits is obviously physical assault. They say that due to the way customers treat them, they feel this is only fair.

During my summer, I only encountered a few volatile customers (though to be fair, next to nobody went to the shows), but apparently Fright Fest brings the absolute worst out of people. Kinda glad to be out of there now.

I can understand their point of view to an extent. A few weeks ago, I visited a Halloween attraction, and as we were about to go through a maze, one of my "companions" turned to me and said: "Just got to be total d-bags, that's how to conquer these things." However, the actions of the "GP" shouldn't give the scare actors, or other employees, the right to be even bigger d-bags.

I can understand their point of view to an extent. A few weeks ago, I visited a Halloween attraction, and as we were about to go through a maze, one of my "companions" turned to me and said: "Just got to be total d-bags, that's how to conquer these things." However, the actions of the "GP" shouldn't give the scare actors, or other employees, the right to be even bigger d-bags.

True, and I remained neutral on the subject, having never experienced it myself.

Speaking of the giga rumors, I just feel the need to input that I was the first to tell my coworkers that Deja Vu was getting the boot back in August, thanks to the internet. My coworkers were shocked, heck even my supervisor was shocked, they basically had not heard anything. So fyi, I really wouldn't go by any regular old employee's word.

Just in update on whats happening. I'm 15 and my friend is 16 btw. So his mom went down to six flags cause she was more pissed about it then us. They put her in a meeting room and two managers walked in and asked about it. They said that they were FURIOUS about what happen and they would get to the bottom on it. and they promised to respond with in 48hours One of the ladys also said she might give us a pair of 2012 season passes.

Yikes.. Not sure how they train their talent over at Six Flags, but that's crossing the line of acceptable comments made to any guest, annoying or not.. at Haunt we deal with some irritating individuals who come solely to cause trouble, but you can always tell a skilled monster by the way we respond, we get our point across without crossing the line..

N going to lie...I laughed when I read that story. Bummer your friend can't take a joke. I am also going to guess that your friend was not totally innocent in this...I've been around Halloween events long enough as a performer and supervisor to know that rarely will something like that be unprovoked.

Edited by Jew

In what way is it cool to call someone the lesbian equivalent of Bieber? That's not even a funny insult, and it's just offensive to the person, and the LGBT community (cue: gay/lesbian person not being offended by it and therefore making it okay). Further, when people insult the monsters, they're insulting the actor's character, and not the actor himself. If a person saw a haunt actor on the street, he wouldn't just call him a douche bag, but when the actor is in character, he might (note: not everyone would), and it wouldn't be a personal insult because it's not directed at the actor. This insult, however, was directed at an actual person. A paying park guest, at that. I do think that the ProActiv comment wasn't that bad, and probably should've been shaken off, but the other one was a display of bigotry, and the actor should be held accountable for that.

That's not even a funny insult, and it's just offensive to the person...

99.99% of funny jokes are offensive to a certain person or group of people. If you want to hold all comedians "accountable" then we may as well just ban all comedy from the face of the planet, including here at TPR.

^ Exactly. They're not at a comedy club. I would not expect to be insulted in such a way in a Halloween maze. If this was switched to a racial slur, people would be freaking out. Base insults are a dumb thing to use to intimidate someone.