TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Ok, I'm trying to get a Fright Fest trip planned here and have a couple questions. I have never been to SFMM just to do the Halloween stuff, and thought this is a good year to try.

-I can't make it on Sundays (which I would assume are the best days). How are the crowds and wait times for the rides on Fridays and Saturdays? Maybe I'm just completely screwed with crowds either way.

-Does the backwards side of Colossus open when Fright Fest starts or is it open all day?

-What is the best time to hit X2: Area 19 at night on these days? I'm assuming Fright Fest has different crowd patterns then a typical day in the park.

Ok, I'm trying to get a Fright Fest trip planned here and have a couple questions. I have never been to SFMM just to do the Halloween stuff, and thought this is a good year to try.

-I can't make it on Sundays (which I would assume are the best days). How are the crowds and wait times for the rides on Fridays and Saturdays? Maybe I'm just completely screwed with crowds either way.

-Does the backwards side of Colossus open when Fright Fest starts or is it open all day?

-What is the best time to hit X2: Area 19 at night on these days? I'm assuming Fright Fest has different crowd patterns then a typical day in the park.

The crowds will be heavy, parking spaces will fill up rapidly and the dirt lot will be used, after all it is the park's busiest time of the year. Colossus is open all day(at least it was when I visited) and the lines might be long, but the best time to ride X2 is during the night, it just offers a more "unique" experience. Have fun!

...Does the backwards side of Colossus open when Fright Fest starts or is it open all day?...

...Colossus is open all day(at least it was when I visited)...

I could be wrong, but when I went last year Colossus didn't open until 7pm with the rest of the Fright Fest activities.

Well, goin to work at the mountain till 4. I'll try and ask around and find out more about the 2013 project

I somehow doubt whatever info you're given will have any real basis in fact, especially since you appear to be seeking info for the purposes of posting it on the internet. Call it a hunch.

Besides, everyone already knows Saggy Boobs: The Ride is coming in 2013. There's even a tagline: "Flash Pass has a whole new meaning!"

Oh ya? You got me all figured out. Well, we'll just see then

I guess we will. Its very doubtful that management would devulge information like that knowing it could be posted on the internet and even if you did find out something, at this point its just rumors and speculation because "I heard it from this person who heard it from that person who says this other person told them that" is not reliable, so you see why its difficult to believe something like that.

The crowds will be heavy, parking spaces will fill up rapidly and the dirt lot will be used, after all it is the park's busiest time of the year. Colossus is open all day(at least it was when I visited) and the lines might be long, but the best time to ride X2 is during the night, it just offers a more "unique" experience. Have fun!

I can manipulate the crowd patterns pretty well (plan on getting there before opening as usual) when lot C is full. After that when the overflow lot is full, it gets a little hairy even for the smartest of planners. I plan to hit all the rides during the day, and the Halloween stuff at night (But it sounds like I will have to do Batman, Backwards Colossus, and X2: Area 19 at night. Do the mazes themselves generate lines in order to be able to walk through them? When the mazes open at 7:00, do the lines for the rides die down?

Here's my plan. I'll be visiting October 8th (ugh bad day, I know). The park's open 10:30am to 11:00pm. Plan --

Revie exit to Tatsu, Deja Vu, Apocalypse, Superman, Riddler's, Green Lantern (may pass), Scream, Colossus (if its open backwards at this time), Goliath. I'll hit these fast paced, and hopefully I won't hit too many people because I'll be there at opening and be moving fast.

Then grab a late lunch at Mooseburger, mosey around and do the short lined rides (Revolution, Ninja, Gold Rusher, and Viper) until night, where I'll hit the mazes and the special Fright Fest rides (hopefully I won't have to do Colossus Backwards because of the possibility of it being open during the day). Is there a good time of night to hit X2? Just as it gets dark or nearer to closing? I don't see Batman getting anything longer then 20 minutes, even with the fog.

When the mazes open at 7:00, do the lines for the rides die down?

If it''s anything like SFDK they never do, considering mazes are upcharge events. I never saw more then 35% of SFDK attendance have maze wristbands. However I never been to fright fest at SFMM and am actively trying to attend this year with my friend. But he's said it's looking unlikely he can go due to football referring jobs in High school and peewee leagues, which he'll likely do again next year. If we're going to use the VIP passes I won, then i'm pushing for Fright Fest since the water park is now closed.

(Will be, before we get a chance to get to SFMM anyway.)

...Does the backwards side of Colossus open when Fright Fest starts or is it open all day?...

...Colossus is open all day(at least it was when I visited)...

I could be wrong, but when I went last year Colossus didn't open until 7pm with the rest of the Fright Fest activities.

Is that a Knex model of Flashback in your avatar? That's so cool!

BTW the park was DEAD today just like you all said, and in 4 hours I got on Superman, Terminator, Riddlers, Batman, X2, Tatsu and ERT on Deja Vu an hour after the park closed! 4 times and my stomach started to be twisted in knots but it was fun anyway! Also, they're selling 2012 passes now, so you get into the park for the rest of 2011 too, almost 16 months for $62 bucks can't lose. This is the earliest I remember them selling next years passes already. Great day at the park and I can't wait for Lex Luther it's gonna be crazy!

Yeah, Revolution is really not that bad - just hold your head away from the OTSRs around certain curves; overall, it's a fun ride.

With Viper, I still really enjoy it. There are some rough spots - the final corkscrews - but if you keep your head against the headrest so it doesn't jostle around, you'll be fine.

Unless it's a boomerang or SLC (where there are clones at other parks), I would definitely give everything a shot at least once.

I'll be hitting SFMM next Sunday, the 2nd, at opening. I assume we'll have to go to Green Lantern first, before the line gets insane? Does it open with the park now? I assume X still usually opens later, so running there will do no good. I'm hoping for two hours of fairly short lines, so we can hit most of the biggies before we have to leave for the Knott's event.

Any other tips?

-RO

It's going to be really hard to get on Green Lantern and X without having to wait for one of those. If you see X testing and running before the park opens I would probably run there first as most locals still don't understand what Green Lantern is and go to X or Tatsu first. As you said though, if it doesn't look promising head to Green Lantern for sure.

OK. Yeah, if X is testing, it may be first, but I figure GL has horrific throughput, so 50 people will end up being a huge line. The boy wants to ride X real bad, but I want the GL credit. Am I wrong to assume Sunday mornings are pretty light crowds? I think it was a Sunday when we met you guys years ago, and the crowd was horrible. But it was also in June. I'm hoping October Sundays are light. We only have 3 hours tops. And the boy has ridden very few of the coasters there.

I assume walking around the mountain to GL is the quickest?

-RO

^Well, it's not a Fright Fest Day so you have that going for you, but you also have a lot of dumb GP that think it will be!

With the somewhat new 10:30am opening times you'll also get more people at the front than you used to for the 10am opening. Sometimes they open a few minutes early so make sure you're there early. Do you have a Discover Card? That entrance certainly helps.

Go to GL by way of Goliath, it's a long walk, so you can end up beating most of the slow people no problem.

It's really going to be a crapshoot, I don't see any big events that weekend so that should be good, but if you get slow ops, or ops that are waiting for full trains early in the morning it will kill your chances of getting the boy a bunch of his credits. Just read what people have been saying about Terminator (waiting forever with empty trains going, etc.)

Good luck!

OK, thanks. It sounds like my expectation are in check. Expect the worst because it's SFMM, but we may get lucky. I do have a Discover Card, so I'll look for a special entrance. We have SFOT season passes.

I want to get the boy lots of credits, but GL and Terminator are new to me, as is backwards Superman, so I will secretly be trying to hit those before Tatsu and X. He can't complain, he's got more credits than I did on my first visit to MM 14 years ago.

I just hope the Knott's event that is decent. I wish we could hit yours tomorrow, but we have Weird Al tonight, and Dl doesn't start Halloween until next weekend. I'd love to do the HHN you guys are doing, but we aren't sure how the boy is going to be. He says he's pumped after seeing some Hanging videos, and a few slider clips. But, I don't think he'd make it all the way thorugh a maze. Especially the much scarier ones at Universal.

-RO