TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Just looked over the SFMM Fright Fest site, and I think it's awesome that they're doing the Foggy Nights thing on Batman! It was awesome before, I can't imagine now!

SWEET! Is it fog and lights like WCB, or just fog? Either way, good job, SFMM! You're starting to appeal to me again.

I said starting.. Still doesn't mean I love the place like I used to.

^ They want to have the first giga on the west coast, plus the airtime would really complete the park

They have to have at least some airtime to begin with - and more than the ever-so-noticeable pops on Apocalypse. When you have 18 coasters, and only one of them has airtime, that still doesn't count.

Plus, it just seems like a lot of rides that would be insane anywhere else, are neutered with trims in CA, and the ride ops will probably staple people in.

Edited by Chrisrad

Yes, I know about El Toro and its awesomeness - had plenty of ERT on it.

And no, not all of SFMM's rides are neutered, so I edited my response about rides in CA.

I never said I didn't want the giga - I'm just saying that I'm tired of so many safety spiels, trim brakes, and redundant restraints when they are obviously not evident/required at other parks in the US. Sorry for taking it out on SFMM.

Edited by Chrisrad

^ They want to have the first giga on the west coast, plus the airtime would really complete the park

Where do you get this information from. Just working at SFMM and hearing a rumor is just as reliable as talking to the Dippin' Dots guy. I am kind of trying to be the devil's advocate, though I do hope the rumors are true and it seems to be a good idea. The only problem is Goliath is already at SFMM which means putting a giga coaster in SFMM makes a little more sense than Leviathan at Canada's Wonderland.

Where do you get this information from. Just working at SFMM and hearing a rumor is just as reliable as talking to the Dippin' Dots guy. I am kind of trying to be the devil's advocate, though I do hope the rumors are true and it seems to be a good idea. The only problem is Goliath is already at SFMM which means putting a giga coaster in SFMM makes a little more sense than Leviathan at Canada's Wonderland.

Plus Goliath has ZERO airtime....I'd say its way more realistic than Leviathan

Considering their recent relationship with Intamin on S:EFK and GL, they could still be working with them on something like a Megalite, sort of like a 3 coaster contract.

They would never get a MEgaLite

Tigers1985, you got it all mixed up.

-You say SFMM will get a Giga Coaster when everyone else thinks it will get a Mega-Lite but you say SFMM will never get a Mega-Lite.

-You say KBF will get a Mega-Lite when everyone else thinks it will get a Giga coaster but you say KBF will not get a Giga coaster.

Well Knotts may just beat them to that First Giga on the West coast, I know it's just rumors but there has been even more clearing at Knotts, Westcoaster just posted more pics. I don't know it seams like every other rumor this year has come true why not knotts giga rumor.

SFMM more then likely will remove Deja Vu and then Build a Dive Machine in it's place, or the Worlds est Wingrider since they seam to be inversion addicted and anti-airtime.

^ Eh I wouldn't be so sure about that anymore. People said they were anti-Intamin, then came GL out of nowhere. People wondered if they would ever build another drop tower, well not only are they going to, but their going to put it on the Superman tower, something people also said would never happen.

I wouldn't count out airtime at SFMM any longer, especially with the strong rumors of a Colossus make over coming.

Well Knotts may just beat them to that First Giga on the West coast, I know it's just rumors but there has been even more clearing at Knotts, Westcoaster just posted more pics. I don't know it seams like every other rumor this year has come true why not knotts giga rumor.

SFMM more then likely will remove Deja Vu and then Build a Dive Machine in it's place, or the Worlds est Wingrider since they seam to be inversion addicted and anti-airtime.

I agree with you, SFMM seems to want revolutionary and record-breaking coasters as the coasters since 2000 showed that:

-2000: Goliath - Tallest Complete Circuit Roller Coaster, Tallest Hyper Coaster

-2001: Deja Vu - First GIB along with it's 2 other "siblings" and Tallest Inverted Coaster in West Coast

-2002: X - First 4th Dimension coaster

-2003: Scream! - First and only floorless coaster in Southern California

-2006: Tatsu - First B&M Flying Coaster in West Coast, Tallest Flying Coaster

-2009: Terminator - First GCI Wood Coaster in Southern California, likely the best wooden coaster in the West Coast

-2011: Green Lantern - First ZacSpin in the USA, First park to get 2 4th Dimension coasters

-2011: Road Runner - Eh, Who Cares?

Giga Coasters, Dive Machines, and WingRide Coasters all would fit into revolutionary/record-breaking coasters. Though, with Goliath a Giga Coaster doesn't seem right and we won't see any new coasters in 2012 since SFMM are getting Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom and it's too late for land clearings & construction for such a massive ride.

EDIT: Sorry for the typo on Terminator as "first GCI coaster".

Edited by XYZ

As far as SFMM goes, the thing they need most is a prefab. However, due to the recent addition of Apoc, I highly doubt we will be seeing this anytime soon. California needs to see how to make a good coaster. I was almost shocked how many people on the east coast understand how a non-looping coaster can be better than a looping coaster, but that is probably because nearly every large park in the mid-atlantic area has either a hyper or a good wood coaster. On the west coast, the only hyper we've got is Goliath, which has a dissapointing first drop, a tiny shot of airtime on the second, and no air beyond the third hill. Ghostrider in the back seat on the MCBR drop had what may have been the only ejector air in California. However, now that no longer applies. Pretty much everyone I know loves Goliath, so an I305 style giga could easily be very popular with the GP.

If the fact the hypers don't invert is an issue, then why not make one that does? I305 has the same restraints that Intamin uses on their looping coasters, so why not incorporate a heartline roll or something? Everyone would benefit from that, and I don't quite understand why I305 never made use of its OTSR's. I know it is a crazy thought, but Furius Baco did it, so why can't a hyper or a giga?

MrSum1"Once people start calling Goliath an airtime machine, you know something is wrong"_55

Seeing as Six Flags seems like more of a Beemer park (Excluding Bizarro SFNE, Ka and Toro and small stuff), I doubt SFMM will get a giga, and also they don't want to look like they're copying CF.

Ohh come on,they've been copying off of CF(CP in particular) ever since this whole stupid "coaster war" crap began over 20 years ago.

Visiting the mountain tomorrow, and might post my first ever trip report! Any tips? Is a Flashpass worth it? I'm not sure because although it's the off season, its still a Saturday, and they are having a concert.

SFMM + Saturday =

Get there before they open and run to one of the big rides (Tatsu/X2/Superman/Green Lantern).. then see how the crowds are looking by 11 or so.

The weather should be quite nice so I'm thinking it will be busy - plan on getting a q-bot.

While everyone keeps mentioning that a giga would be out of place with Goliath, then why wouldn't a wingrider feel out of place with X2 already there? I ultimately could see a giga more likely than a wingrider. It would be interesting for the park to have a wingrider, zac-spin, and fourth dimension coaster. And this is sorta funny, as when you think about it, a wingrider plus a zac-spin equals X2. Obviously I would not complain if the park ordered any of these three coasters, though on my opinion I would probably prefer a dive machine over these three.

I agree with you, SFMM seems to want revolutionary and record-breaking coasters as the coasters since 2000 showed that:

I remember from the announcement video last year when they list every coaster, that they had a description under every one. When you think about it, every coaster does have a description such as fastest, tallest, first, etc.