TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^ those forces would probably be negligible. I was always just a naysayer because of the shape of the tower (lots of funky angles). Essentially my thinking was if they were able to do it, then why'd it take 15 years like everyone is saying?

Maybe it took them this long to figure out how to do it, maybe nobody ever thought of doing it before....who knows.

I'm pretty sure it's been thought of before. I mean most of us here have thought of it before because of the Dreamworld tower.

I'm sure the people at SFMM thought of it a while ago aswell and had consulted Intamin about it. This is a pretty specific system and maybe Intamin didn't have time to develop this system with other projects they are working on. Also could be that SFMM didn't find it cost effective, and now they do after having built pretty much every other type of thrill ride in existence.

Just came back from SFMM, arrived about 10 minutes after the park opened. This was the lightest crowd I've ever seen, obviously with school back in session it helped. Longest wait of the day was 45 min for Goliath due to only a 1 train operation. X2 only was a 30 min wait when I went in the morning. Deja Vu was a walk on all day considering that it is leaving the park. Everything else had little to no waits. Green Lantern, Tatsu, & Colossus (1 Train), were about only 15-20 min wait. Batman, Apocalypse, Scream (1 Train), Revolution (1 Train), Gold Rusher (1 Train) were all walk-ons and were able to ride multiple times without going back in line. Skipped Viper. Didn't ride Ninja or Superman due to the park closing at 6.

Regarding the earthquake, we were next in line at Riddler's, 5 min wait, when the station started shaking a bit. The train was already midcourse when it struck. The people around me all looked at each other and said if we all felt that. We knew it couldn't have been the ride as most of us were familiar with how things felt with the ride running. We were all calm as cucumbers since we all were from CA. Literally right after the moment it hit, a recorded announcement came on the loudspeaker that the ride was experiencing a delay. I checked my phone and sure enough a quake hit in Newhall, Ca, literally right near us. I was impressed how quickly it came on and they immediately stopped loading as soon as the train came back. While we waited they announced Tidal Wave was apparently open & some flats which was quick. I got the email regarding the new Drop Tower ride on Superman announcement and showed people in line on my phone the youtube video and pics, everyone had the same reaction when I mentioned it was gonna be on superman and how tall and fast the drop was, which everyone got all bug eyed and shocked, lol. The mechanics checked for about 30 min before the all clear was given. They only did 1 cycle before we were let on.

All in all was a fun, interesting day, full of firsts, first and last time on Deja Vu, first earthquake I felt as an adult (last one was 89 in the Bay Area), first time I was in a theme park when it hit.

This is actually first ride from SFMM I am looking forward to in a long time. I freaking hate heights (my knees were shaking after riding Blue Fall), so this will scare the sh*t out of me. I am also very interested to see the construction/engineering behind the ride, as I was one of those who thought the S:TE structure couldn't support a drop tower.

This is actually first ride from SFMM I am looking forward to in a long time. I freaking hate heights (my knees were shaking after riding Blue Fall), so this will scare the sh*t out of me. I am also very interested to see the construction/engineering behind the ride, as I was one of those who thought the S:TE structure couldn't support a drop tower.

I'm with you on seeing how they build this thing. Years ago I had asked somebody at the park about it who was farily high up the food chain (his name escapes me right now) and was flat out told that the structure just couldn't support a drop tower. End of story. Appearently either he was wrong when he told me that or the park has since figured out a way to make it work.

This is actually first ride from SFMM I am looking forward to in a long time. I freaking hate heights (my knees were shaking after riding Blue Fall), so this will scare the sh*t out of me.

Same. I'm not necessarily scared of heights, but drop towers are the only type of ride that continually freak me out a bit...and this one is flat out sick. It's amazing that it's the only thing SFMM has done to catch my interest.

I'm not scared of heights, but this will probably freak me out a bit for sure.

Regarding the structure, this has always been what I've heard as well.

Which makes me wonder if the structure will be somehow independent of Superman's tower ... or something like that. It will be interesting for sure.

Hopefully a lot of people will be too intimidated by the height of the drop to ride to shorten the line a bit (even though it will probably still be long enough with the 16 person capacity). I know this isn't the best comparison, but when I went to Raging Waters San Jose in July, Bombs Away was their newest slide with the capsule drop and was the talk of the park yet had one of the shortest lines there since most of the GP were too intimidated to ride it. I wonder if Lex Luthor Drop of Doom will create a lot of buzz among the GP being attached to the sides of Superman, yet most of the GP will be too intimidated to ride it once they walk by it.

Which makes me wonder if the structure will be somehow independent of Superman's tower ... or something like that.

Based on the image and video that was released, it appears like they're going to be adding on to the structure of the ride, with steel i-beams that weren't there before (I circled and drew a line where the new i beams will be added). The front of the tower has always been wider than the back, making for a weird angle on the sides of the ride, it appears that will be fixed for the installation of this ride.

Also, I have never heard that the structure could not withstand a drop tower. I wouldn't believe it if I heard it either, because it just doesn't make sense...look at that structure, its made out of nothing but steel i-beams! I mean, if I were to place a bet on what structure in CA would still be standing if everything else toppled over after a huge earthquake or hurricane, I would put it on Superman. That thing is built so strong, it's never coming down unless you disassemble it.

This will be hands down the scariest ride I have ever been on once it opens. 400 feet is just intimidating, so I'm actually curious as to how many people will be scared away just for fear's sake. The double drop tower, although very extreme, will be a great addition to the line-up at Six Flags. With the closest being Supreme Scream and Tower of Terror, this will take the cake as the best drop tower in SoCal.

Went to the park today ... a couple of observations:

The park was DEAD. Got to the park about 11am and walked on Tatsu, Deja Vu, Apocalypse (front row) and X2 was only about a 15 minute wait at 1:00pm.

There were some survey Markers near Deja Vu. One you could see from the loading platform (picture below) and one below the lift (that I could see while going backwards up the lift).

And remember when we were discussing the food location near Ninja a few months ago? Well there was some work going on, which I found odd. (pictures below as well)

DSC00036-L.jpg.800d67e02f990d10fdbe4daaa5330d8b.jpg

Survey Marker near Deja Vu ... could mean nothing, could mean something? Sorry it's blurry

DSC00064-L.jpg.431824c2a42c54cc1ea4229ce7b44786.jpg

Some work was going on at the food location that is above Willoughby's.

DSC00065-L.jpg.eb3e72345512363c7de60a3e6dcbfd59.jpg

Do you think Magic Mountain will have a similar drop configuration like Dreamworld's? I remember that one side of the tower went straight down while the other had a surprise trim halfway down to spice things up.

And remember when we were discussing the food location near Ninja a few months ago? Well there was some work going on, which I found odd. (pictures below as well)

That building has been torn up since around WCB. They haven't touched it since, but it really does seem as if something is going on there.