TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I heard that they are selling off each of their coasters one by one, in an anticipated move to sell the land to Newhall Land & Farming Company

All I know is Newhall owns the land AROUND the park, I never heard anything about them actually using Magic Mountain as there housing development. Well back in 2007 yeah but not anything recent.

How come nobody has suggested a Windseeker for SFMM.. on top of the mountain, with fire, and a backwards program during October?

Seriously though.. Intamin drop towers > S&S

But I'd still take an S&S if they put it in a kick ass location (up there with Tatsu). Knowing SFMM, they'll stick it out in the parking lot next to scream.

^Because Intamin towers> S&S Towers> Windseekers

But sarcasm about a Windseeker > 30 pages discussing Deja Vu's replacement.

But I guess that's why there are over 2000 pages for SFMM..

On a serious note, how is Termi, I mean apocalypse, running these days? And how is the audio doing on X2? I guess I'm trying to motivate myself to get up there for the Halloween stuff.

It's funny nobody talks much about Apocalypse, even the locals (probably because the lame ass pre-show zaps all the good will from the riders), but it's easily one of the best rides on the west coast, and would be a star at another park. It still rides great, and night rides are the most fun you can have at SFMM.

It's funny nobody talks much about Apocalypse, even the locals (probably because the lame A$$ pre-show zaps all the good will from the riders), but it's easily one of the best rides on the west coast, and would be a star at another park. It still rides great, and night rides are the most fun you can have at SFMM.

And it's just so different than out & back woodies that have straightaways and airtime hills (or scenic forest tours *cough* Beast *cough*).

Plus, for the time being, it has tunnels and fire, and, on occasion, fog. I just hope the park keeps it smooth.

^^ & ^. All valid points, and Terminator is one of the best wooden rides I've been on, but Magic Mountain has put in some of the most innovative amusement rides known to the industry. Their follow up to alot of this now are just mediocre rides that don't compliment the high octane thrill rides that are there now. Any ride that goes into that park that's not the next "X" is going to be shawdowed by X, Tatsu, Goliath, etc.

^^ & ^. All valid points, and Terminator is one of the best wooden rides I've been on, but Magic Mountain has put in some of the most innovative amusement rides known to the industry. Their follow up to alot of this now are just mediocre rides that don't compliment the high octane thrill rides that are there now. Any ride that goes into that park that's not the next "X" is going to be shawdowed by X, Tatsu, Goliath, etc.

I could not agree more!

It's funny nobody talks much about Apocalypse, even the locals (probably because the lame A$$ pre-show zaps all the good will from the riders), but it's easily one of the best rides on the west coast, and would be a star at another park. It still rides great, and night rides are the most fun you can have at SFMM.

Evenings at Apocalypse are a pretty well kept secret. Now that it's running two trains, the line gets eaten up (nom nom nom) by evening time, and you can get repeat rides at dusk and dark. By that time the ride is still loading full trains, and it hauls ass. The train feels like its trying to rip through the track and it has out of control laterals and little pops of airtime. Frankly, I don't really miss the audio and could care less if there are terminators in the third preshow room. The flames are a staple though. At night, they light up the entire structure as well as neighboring Deja Vu, and the heat is exhilerating. The red siren lights in the first tunnel and misters in the station fly by are pretty badass too.

The crew has mastered how to get people to put on the double seatbelt and lapbar checks are very fast (no brake run stacking either). They'll open up all the preshow doors and let you walk to the station, where you will wait anywhere between 1 to 4 trains for your ride. I can usually get 3 to 5 rides in easily, and could continue if I wanted to stay longer. During the day when everyone is at X2, Viper, Tatsu, Deja Vu, and Apocalypse, lines are usually between 30 to 60 minutes. The only time it really stays busy are Saturdays, when the entire park is slammed anyway.

Evenings are without question Apocalypse's prime time.

There are so many hidden great rides at SFMM (night Apocalypse, Scream, and night Ninja [the light reflections off the lake are mesmerising]) that don't get lines because X, Tatsu, Goliath, and the new 2011 attractions suck up everyone. It will be interesting to see how Superman and Green Lantern fair after their first couple seasons. We'll see if they can keep a crowd!

Im sorry if im changing the subject but does anyone know how busy the parks gets on a average Wednesday? What rides should I go on first to beat the lines later in that day? All I know is that X2, Tatsu, Goliath, and the "New" rides get long lines.

Edited by Andrewoplis

^ Since most schools are starting back up, with some having already begun, the park should be thinning out. Also keep in mind that the park goes back to weekend only operations sometime in September.

If you get there before the park opens, head toward X2 QUICKLY, then check Tatsu's line; if it's too busy, head toward Superman and/or Apocalypse, then complete the loop.

Conversely, if you get there after they open, head to Goliath first, and then make the rounds.

^Thanks! Im just wondering, do Riddler and Scream still have short lines, I remember them always having short lines of my visits.

Riddler's Revenge can have a very long line or be near walk on depending on what time you visit. In the late afternoon to early evening it can back up to 20 to 40 minutes, but mostly will stay between 5 and 15 minutes. Scream will probably have an empty station no matter what time of day you visit.

Well I just got home from FINALLY visiting Magic Mountain. Spent all day there yesterday, crashed in a hotel last night and drove back home today. Aside from the ungodly heat (103 around the last time we checked during the day) and one extremely rude employee at a concession stand (I had to pull my boyfriend away to keep him from yelling at the woman) it was an awesome day. We rode just about every coaster, and every one of them aside from X2, Superman and Green Lantern were 5min/walk on waits. The only coaster we skipped was Revolution. We made our way passed it after X2, but I had a splitting headache at that point from Viper and X2 and we decided to skip it for the moment... And we never made it back to riding it.

I will say Apocolypse was the surprise of the trip for me. I loved it. It was one of only two coasters we road multiple times, the other being X2 (It was my boyfriends favorite of the day.) I would say my top 3 coasters were Apocolypse, Goliath, and Green Lantern in that order. My boyfriends top 3 were X2 (he hasn't stopped talking about how much he loved it), Goliath, and Superman in that order.

The other big surprise for me was, us actually being at an amusement park, he started asking questions about TPR. He knows I lurk on here and what not, and makes fun of me for it. I think I'm actually warming him up to the idea of joining Club TPR!!! Here's hoping!

Glad to hear you both liked Goliath.. it's not intense, but it's just a fun/smooth ride, plus, the tunnel is awesome!

X2 is also one of my favorites - just so different from most other coasters, and the first drop is insane.

I guess someone forgot to mention that SFMM in August is a bad idea.. I was there last august and it was 110 on my phone. Riding all of the coasters in the front row was like sitting in front of a heater. On the plus side, I survived, and the crowds were incredibly light..

^^ actually, we had heard about the heat in August and debated on whether to go. But for about the next couple months, with work, several weddings scattered over 3 different states and birthdays we just couldn't really find time to fit a trip up there after this weekend for a while, and I've REALLY been itching to go.

^ The incident with the employee was very unprofessional. The line was rather long, and we were waiting to get refills (my boyfriend thought it would fun to get the souvenir cups with free refills.) We waited for about 15 minutes (a longer wait then for most of the rides lol) and when it was our turn to go up to the window, someone just walked in front of us and went up to the window. We said something, but they ignored us. When they were done, we walked up and asked why she served them when she saw they cut in front of such a long line. She ignored then question and asked very rudly "can I help you? Your holding up the line." I just grabbed my boyfriend and dragged him away. He was livid.

^Wow, she told you that you were holding up the line? That's terrible! Yeah, very unprofessional but what do you expect from a themepark. Even so, there is no reason to be like that towards a guest and you should have been served first.

Where exactly was this? The reason I ask is when I was there recently the drink stand I waited in line for by Tatsu, during the week, had a decent line but for just serving drinks and three employees working it, it moved very slowly-seemed like it took forever but the girl that waited on us who was very busy was still polite and was moving as fast as she could.

When they were done, we walked up and asked why she served them when she saw they cut in front of such a long line. She ignored then question and asked very rudly "can I help you? Your holding up the line." I just grabbed my boyfriend and dragged him away. He was livid.

To be fair, it sounds like you put her in the awkward position of having to answer a rhetorical question. What did you expect her to say? "Sorry, I didn't see that?" I don't really see the point in bothering to ask that question.