TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

S&S Towers feel like a Frog Hopper once you've been on an Intamin Tower...that's it, plain and simple!

I agree. The S&S towers are tame, the Intamin towers are intense and really fun and are a true free fall....not this controlled fall nonsense. You sort of get ripped off on some of your "falling-ness" on an S&S tower...lol

Intamin towers> skiing through a good terrain park> average water slide> jumping off a 10 foot diving board> S&S towers

A better scale, though, would be this:

Intamin towers> almost everything else that currently exists in the universe> S&S towers.

Honestly, I would take a 100ft Intamin tower over a 400ft S&S tower any day.

As far as Intamin vs. S&S, I like t put it this way:

An Intamin tower is for thrill seekers. No matter how many times I go on them, I always get an adrenaline rush when the ride drops. They are the closest any ride comes to complete freefall, and even if they aren't that tall they still give a really good ride.

An S&S Turbo Drop is a fun ride, but not a particularly intense one. If you are not afraid of heights, they aren't particularly thrilling. I've described them as high speed elevators before, because they honestly don't feel much different. I prefer DCA's Tower of Terror to any S&S tower I've been on simply because it is actually more intense than most of them when talking about forces (and I really want to try the better Florida version).

Overall, I think an Intamin tower is better suited for a park like SFMM that is primarily for thrill seekers, but for more family-oriented parks the S&S towers are a better option. However, I will say that the S&S Double Shots and Combo towers are significantly better than the Turbo Drops and Space Shots, so I wouldn't be disappointed if SFMM got one of those (at least if it was a really tall Combo tower).

I'm pretty sure I am in the minority here, but I like Supreme Scream at KBF more than the drop tower at KI. I found the smaller ride vehicle made the ride more intense for me. Then again, I'm weird. Whatever SFMM gets, I will be happy (regardless of the numerous posts that will appear here saying its the 'worst decision ever').

^ I feel the same way.

I rode Drop Tower at Kings Dominion and was very disappointed. I thought Supreme Scream, Dragon Tower, and Mega Drop (LA County Fair) were better than Drop Tower.

An intense, REAL free fall is disappointing?

. Personal opinion man. PO!

^ I feel the same way.

I rode Drop Tower at Kings Dominion and was very disappointed. I thought Supreme Scream, Dragon Tower, and Mega Drop (LA County Fair) were better than Drop Tower.

Keep in mind that the giant ride vehicle acts basically like a large mast and slows down the drop on Drop Tower. It gathers up so much wind resistance that the drop isn't as exciting as an Intamin tower with smaller and more streamlined ride vehicles.

It's official! Deja Vu is moving east!

By Brady MacDonald Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

August 19, 2011, 2:07 p.m.

Well, that didn't last long.

Six Flags Magic Mountain will relinquish sole ownership of the coveted title of "Roller Coaster Capital of the World" later this year when the Valencia, Calif., amusement park removes one of its record-setting 18 coasters.

Magic Mountain boasted of nabbing the coaster title when the Green Lantern: First Flight spinning coaster officially opened in July. The removal of Deja Vu will move Magic Mountain back into a statistical tie with Cedar Point in Ohio, which also has 17 coasters.

> Coaster showdown: Cedar Point vs. Magic Mountain

> Top 10 coasters: Cedar Point | Magic Mountain

Deja Vu is expected to close in October, meaning Magic Mountain will have held the uncontested coaster crown for a mere four months.

Built in 2001, the Vekoma boomerang-style Deja Vu coaster with suspended cars features a 102-foot-tall loop and a 110-foot-tall cobra roll, with riders traveling along the 1,200-foot-long track twice, once forward and once backward, according to Roller Coaster Database.

Prone to down time and rough rides, Deja Vu is one of my least favorite coasters at the park and will not be missed. Similar versions of the outdated ride have been disappearing from bigger parks around the world, finding new homes and extended lives at smaller parks.

Deja Vu is expected to be relocated to Six Flags New England, with an official announcement anticipated in early September. The local planning board recently approved plans for a giant inverted boomerang coaster at the Massachusetts amusement park.

The move is a curious one, considering Six Flags New England already has an older, smaller, shorter and slower model of the Vekoma boomerang-style inverted shuttle coaster called Flashback.

Deja Vu will replace the Shipwreck Falls shoot the chutes water ride at Six Flags New England. The park has no plans to remove Flashback.

Deja Vu is expected to open with a new name at Six Flags New England in summer 2012. Expect to see Six Flags relocate more old rides to new parks within the amusement chain for 2012.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/themeparks/la-trb-deja-vu-six-flags-new-england-08201119,0,2637256.story?track=rss&dlvrit=70653

The Six Flags Ride Rotation Program is back, it seems! Think about it: Chang moves from the then Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom to Six Flags Great Adventure as The Green Lantern, Serial Thriller moves from the closed Astroworld to The Great Escape then to La Ronde, now Deja Vu moving from Magic Mountain to Six Flags New England.

If you are going to simplify my statement, then yes. "An intense, REAL free fall was disappointing." I also have to say that I appreciate the bouncy part after the initial fall; it completes the ride experience, instead of just getting up and leaving 5 seconds after the climax of the ride.

Good news everybody, my fortune cookie from Panda Express today said "Speculations will turn out well," so we're in luck!

I got my last ride on Deja Vu a few weeks ago, it was running pretty good, but I'm fine saying goodbye with the addition of a new (greater than) addition!

S&S Towers feel like a Frog Hopper once you've been on an Intamin Tower...that's it, plain and simple!

That really is a perfect comparison. With S&S towers you bounce at the bottom, but with Intamin Tower it's a pretty quick holy crap kind of stop. The good part is that it is really quick, but very smooth. I would love an Intamin Tower at SFMM

If you are going to simplify my statement, then yes. "An intense, REAL free fall was disappointing." I also have to say that I appreciate the bouncy part after the initial fall; it completes the ride experience, instead of just getting up and leaving 5 seconds after the climax of the ride.

Well ok, I was just asking and I see your point about the "bouncy" part, I have to admit that part is kind of fun.

The Six Flags Ride Rotation Program is back, it seems! Think about it: Chang moves from the then Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom to Six Flags Great Adventure as The Green Lantern, Serial Thriller moves from the closed Astroworld to The Great Escape then to La Ronde, now Deja Vu moving from Magic Mountain to Six Flags New England.

I wouldnt say its back until new rides start moving around. IN 2 years if Green Lantern starts moving ill agree with you. But all of these moves make sense. With the land cleared for Mr Six(before it was RRE) Deja Vu no longer makes sense for the location, but a much larger ride could fit there. And with SFNE needing a new ride, this move makes sense. Moving rides from closed parks to operating parks while Six Flags re-structured was a move that made sense. Hyperbole is not becoming.

Has it been conformed that Big Spin from SFDK is going to Mexico? Because I can see it in Deja Vu's spot perfectly. And they wouldn't lose there coaster crown.

Well, it hasn't even been conformed that Big Spin is even leaving SFDK, so no, it hasn't.

On the ride rumor thing, they pointed the camera at SM:EK, didn't they, which IS a coaster. So could they be hinting a new coaster 2012, bringing back they coaster tittle? Because not all parks have to be as obvious as SFA when it comes to a 2012 addition