TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Typically if the park is this quiet so close to the next years announcements, it means not a lot will be happening. If the park was getting a coaster that has been unannounced, we'd typically be hearing some rumors or seeing some track by now. The fact that Magic Mountain has been completely silent kinda leads me to believe a small investment, if any, will be up for next year. Might have to wait for 2013 for a new big coaster.

Last year Green Lantern wasn't even announced until October and the ride didn't even arrive until February. Just wait a bit longer and we might hear something. They're going to do something even if it's not a huge ride or a coaster. I doubt they'll just leave empty space lying around for a year.

My reasoning for a drop tower NOT going on the side of Superman right now:

- They would have to close their 'brand new' ride for at least six months.

- They have plenty of other room and places where it would be easier/cheaper to build.

Now, Six Flags hasn't exactly proved itself with 'reasoning' lately though so who knows!

The tower is not designed to be a combo tower, period. It would require the tower to be dismantled and refabricated. Way more expense than its worth especially given how much $ has already been sunk into the ride. If it aint broke done fudge with it. They're gonna build a new ride with a large capacity, and why WOULDN'T they build it on the hill?

Although I'm sure there's a way for them to put the drop tower on the side of Superman, that structure does tend to move a lot... It'd be very interesting to see how they would make it work. My guess is if they were to put in that rumored drop tower it would go else where... like where the always closed S&S launch rocket contraption thing (spaced on name right now) that needs to be removed is.

I would be very surprised if they built a drop tower on the side of Superman. In its current state, that tower doesn't look like it could support one, and I'm guessing it is cheaper to build a new tower than modifying/replacing the Superman one. As for where it might go, I'm thinking one of three locations: on top of the hill (possibly where Laughing Dragon Pizza is since that place has been closed for years), down at the bottom where Spin Out used to be, or replacing Thrill Shot. It probably won't replace Deja Vu since that will likely be the site of a 2013 coaster. I don't have a height guess, but I'm thinking tallest in the US (or possibly the world), though not necessarily 400 ft.

Also, they'll probably change one of the Superman cars forward at some point next year. I don't know if it will be at the beginning of the year or after summer, but I think the plan was to run both of them backwards for 12-18 months, then switch one forwards and let people pick their experience.

See I just don't understand that. Even if they do turn a car around to run forward again, Why!?! It was a lackluster experience hence the million dollar upgrade. Why go back to something you know wasn't successful and not well received? Besides aren't the new trains lighter to reduce stress on the launch system and tower? Wouldn't they have to re-program the system back to launch the old trains? Just doesn't make sense to me...